Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 204/199.2/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
Hope this is the right section for this: want to compare a couple plans

For those of you who moved from Atkins to Nutritional Ketosis, how does your diet differ now?

I'm wondering if some of the focus in my diet could be taken off protein. I'm not a big meat eater to begin with: I like a good meat binge every now and then (barbecue!) but eating it daily is kind of icky to me and feels like too much.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
I can speak to general low carb vs. NK from recent experience in the past couple of weeks and my low carb was greatly influenced by Atkins. Perhaps this will help, maybe not.

Carbs usually stay below 20 - so, you can view it almost as a permanent "Induction level of carbs" (I'm being specific to say Induction level for the Atkins reference, but added the word level because NK does not have the food restrictions, like nuts)
That said, your carbs could technically go up to 50+, but much will depend on gender, exercise, etc. and it's unlikely your ketone level will be within the ideal range if your carbs go up.
Tracking is more cumbersome, I used to be able to keep carb totals in my mind, but balancing the 3 macro nutrients is more cumbersome
Protein - less protein for me, I have to measure and track very carefully
Protein - cheese can add up quickly
You won't be climbing rungs, you'll be tweaking along the way.

For me, it was a big change in mindset - the goal is to get into Ketosis and stay in ketosis, with the majority of energy coming from fat, rather than sugar. This is different than tweaking carbs so you can keep losing.

My food:

More fat
Fewer LC treats (I used to love smoked turkey wrapped around mozzarella)
Less bacon
Fewer eggs
Less beef
Less whey protein - I love Jay Robb, but it all adds up

There is a good thread in the NK forum where people contribute what they're eating every day which will also give you an indication of what you'd be able to eat.

I hope I didn't make it sound terrible - I actually like it a lot. I'm definitely seeing results and the careful tracking in causing me to rethink decisions, especially about what I'd consider mindless nibbling.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

sbarr, thank you!!

I am really struggling with carb addiction right now. I want to get into ketosis and stay there just to get outside my head, if you were. I am tired of constantly looking for my next "fix." Been there done that with alcohol, now doing it with carbs.

I also think that this moderate carb approach sometimes sends my cravings all over the place, and I don't think there's much rhyme or reason to it. One day, almonds will be fine, another day they are not. Maybe I had too many tomatoes and I'm starving all evening...its just so hard to stay "in check" with keeping cravings at bay.

So. tired. of. cravings.

NK seems like a way to get out of this for awhile. I don't know if I could do it long term, but it would be good to do it to goal.

I will come check things out over there!
Old 03-25-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

I know what you mean - in fact, I was thinking NK would be easier during the holidays - you just don't go there with certain foods. Alcohol cravings went way down for me. I might try to incorporate a glass of wine at some point once I get my blood ketone strips to see what the impact is on my ketone level, but it just might not be worth it.

If I understand it right, being in a constant state of ketosis, you should have the carb cravings under control.

One point to make - if you're looking to do this until you get to goal, what do you do when you get to goal? I don't have that answer yet, but there are some very helpful threads over there and knowledgeable folks.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
I know what you mean - in fact, I was thinking NK would be easier during the holidays - you just don't go there with certain foods. Alcohol cravings went way down for me. I might try to incorporate a glass of wine at some point once I get my blood ketone strips to see what the impact is on my ketone level, but it just might not be worth it.

If I understand it right, being in a constant state of ketosis, you should have the carb cravings under control.

One point to make - if you're looking to do this until you get to goal, what do you do when you get to goal? I don't have that answer yet, but there are some very helpful threads over there and knowledgeable folks.
Do you track every day? That was one thing I always liked about Atkins: "these things unlimited," "these things off limits" and "here are the specific amounts for these things." Very clear-cut!
Old 03-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

I do track every day throughout the day and that is a big difference - nothing is unlimited. I suspect that over time, there might be a little bit of leeway, but since I'm new to this plan, I'm staying meticulously under my limits which are: 18 carb/70 protein/117 fat.

It was a bigger transition for me because I (used to) eat a lot of protein. A can of tuna and a hamburger with cheese and i was almost at my protein limit, throw in a boiled egg with the tuna and it really does add up. Make a pizza crust with cheese and egg - these add up. Note - NK is NOT low protein, it is moderate protein, but that can be a transition if you have eaten a lot of protein for year, as I have.

I personally like the Atkins approach because it is clearly written, effective for many people and there isn't much ambiguity.

Could I lose following Atkins to the letter - I'm sure i could. I suspect there is some leeway later on with NK, but I'm following it to the letter because my objective is to get into ketosis and stay in ketosis as long as I'm on the plan. I do strongly believe in following plans closely in the beginning until you can make educated guesses and I'm nowhere near that. Ask me in 6 months and I might say something different, but for now, I'm following the guidelines and limits like a good soldier.

Last edited by sbarr; 03-25-2014 at 02:52 PM..