LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheBigKahuna
Stats: 290/225/215?
WOE: reduced carb
Start Date: January 2014
Had my first "cheat" day

I started low carb in January. I've stuck to it very closely for over 2 months now. Other than drinking a 32oz bottle of Gatorade a few weeks back when I was sick, I've not really cheated at all. And then yesterday....was out of town, and suddenly got feverish. I began feeling like crap, and had a lot to get done before I could go home. I hadn't eaten much, had an Atkins bar for breakfast around 7am. Now it's close to 1pm and I'm really feeling bad. Chills followed by burning up, etc. Luckily no nausea or Big "D" this time. I'm driving around and trying to find someplace to eat. I don't know this area, I'm somewhere I hardly ever go over 150 miles from home. I see a "Jack in the Box". I've never seen one on the east coast...and I know it's been mentioned as a place that does low carb burgers in several threads here. Done. I go in and order my kid his meal, then try to order a burger with a lettuce wrap. This completely perplexes the cashier. I try to explain but realize I'm losing this battle. So I just order the burger combo. To their credit somewhat, they DID wrap the burger in a tortilla style wrap instead of a bun. But I ate the fries!

French fries are my kryponite. I love'em. I haven't had one in over 2 months. And other than watching friends eat them when we go out, I've done well! But yesterday, while feeling really sick and hungry, I ate a small order of curly fries! I also ate the wrap the burger came in. No idea how many carbs I ate in hat meal. Probably more than I've eaten in one day in over 2 months. And they weren't even great fries!

We stopped at Ruby Tuesday for dinner last night on the way home. I'm still feeling bad. My family all orders their food. My wife and I get salads. I also ordered a sandwich, but forgot to ask for veggies instead of fries. So they bring me a plate full of fries. I ate the sandwich without the bun, and gave the fries to my kids. Couldn't be tempted twice in one day.

Last edited by TheBigKahuna; 03-25-2014 at 08:41 AM..
TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
These things happen, but it sounds like you were back on track by dinner.

What's inspiring is that you didn't throw the whole day away based on lunch and if you're clean today, then no harm done in the long term.

I know planning is important, but I think the fact that you made a good decision later in the day after a bad decision shows commitment.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: afurrything
Stats: 240/177/135 5'3"
Start Date: October 2010
Fries are hard to resist. even bad fries are tempting. My kryptonite is doughnuts. To me even a bad doughnut is a doughnut and I find them hard to resist, unless they have coconut or peanuts on them, they're all fair game to me!

Back on track, right where you need to be.
afurrything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
I think you did great with getting right back on plan for dinner even though there were fries to tempt you again. A one-time cheat will mean nothing or very little to your overall weight loss unless the one-time becomes all-the-time.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Good for you for getting right back on plan!

You might try keeping some snacks in your car for emergencies. Pork rinds, beef jerky, summer sausage, nuts, Atkins bars, something like that. And some bottled water - this stuff is salty!

It's almost guaranteed you'll go off plan if you get so hungry you feel ill and there aren't good LC options available. When you get that hungry, you need to eat! I'd rather you eat some fries than pass out driving your car down the freeway!
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
you did good considering you were sick and getting desperate.

I know. I drove to the store and by 12 I hadn't eaten anything, on the way home I passed it all. pizza, wendys, burger king, bbq, mcDs, hardees, NY bagel place, and way more.

I said next place I will get ONLY xxx. then I talked myself out of it. STAY LC ALL THE WAY TIL HOME. which was a drive but I did it.

I tell ya some days you are LC with all the power in the world.
another day you are a gushy wimp that will eat whatever.

It is hard. It is in our face. It is there and easy and just a few bucks away.

This is when we start to see our true selves literally. DID you make a lifestyle change or not? Are you 'really there"?

it is very very very very hard and that doesn't even explain it in a way :P
Old 03-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
I agree you did well...When I have a cheat day or meal even when it is a planned one ...I just jump right back on that track and not look back....I don't eat any snacks at all now but I am always READY with one just in case I do....When I do plan a free meal of choice...I just don't pig out anymore...with to much of that good thing....
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/195/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
Getting right back on plan was the most important thing you did, and sometimes that's the hardest part.
natural_born_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I hope you aren't beating yourself up. You did good! A tortilla usually has about 30 carbs, give or take. So, okay you ate a small order of fries. You didn't up-size, you didn't eat the ones at dinner, etc. See?!! You did good.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheBigKahuna
Stats: 290/225/215?
WOE: reduced carb
Start Date: January 2014
I just wanted to get some food into me to see if it would make me feel better. Sadly, it did not. Luckily I didn't have to drive all the way home. After dinner, I sat in the passenger seat with my jacket on, under a blanket and slept for the last 2 hours. I'm hot natured, and shivering non-stop is a sure fire sign to my wife that something is wrong. Thing is, it hit me very suddenly yesterday morning. As soon as it hit, my drive took over driving duties. I dropped her off at Ikea, and went my own way to kill a few hours while she shopped. Feeling better today, and still on track with LC. It was just one meal, and I "gave in" looking for relief...not due to craving. I've done very well at passing up temptations for over 2 months now.

Donuts! I love those! I pulled into Krispy Kreme one day to get a cup of coffee. The kids were watching a move with headphones on, in the back seat. It wasn't until I was pulling away from the window with my coffee, that my daughter noticed where we were...and started complaining that I didn't get donuts. I was complaining internally the entire time!
TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
Donuts

lol.. we have a drive thru Krispy Kreme about 1/2 mile away.. I'm just glad I don't really like their donuts all that much and even my daughter isn't a fan. (There is another donuts shop about a mile the other direction that is awesome but thankfully they don't have a drive thru...
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowdancer79
Stats: 202/175/150 5'8" restart 10.01.12
Fries and ketchup are hard for me to resist. At least they are gluten free though. Back on track tomorrow, don't worry too much
snowdancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
Now donuts I like but FRIES...I love...ofcourse I would eat taters anyway any meal almost and now I don't eat any at all...mmmmm But I sure do feel better...But if I decided I wanted some I would and then get back on track right then....
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:18 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
Kudos to you for getting right back on plan THE SAME DAY! The average person would say, "I'll start again tomorrow," but you started the very next meal. It's that kind of dedication that is really going to let you reach your goals with this WOE. You are doing great! Keep up the good work.
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JohnAndHisCat
WOE: General low-carb, bit of a Ketogenic focus
Start Date: February 2014
Hope you feel better soon!
JohnAndHisCat is offline   Reply With Quote