Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   need a fresh start but how do I begin? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/826481-need-fresh-start-but-how-do-i-begin.html)

ness2616 03-24-2014 01:56 PM

need a fresh start but how do I begin?

Does anyone have any advice on how to start over? I have already gained half of what I lost before and I don't think I can stop it. Im mad at myself but mostly Im just plain scared. Help?

dunginhawk 03-24-2014 02:07 PM

If you are a bread person go to netrition and order great low carb bread company.
1. onion pockets (great for burgers, sandwhiches, you name it)
2. Sesame bagels - nuff said. awesome
3. Sesame bread - nuff said. awesome.

Lots of other options, but those are my favorites. muffins are not awesome to me. cinnamon breads or bagels are not great to me either.

These items are MY LIFE SAVER.

I use em for bagels with cream cheese, sandwhiches, burgers, brats, pizza bagels. you name it.

Once you have a good replacement for breads that you used to eat everyday, the rest becomes easy. Eggs, meats, veggies ( I eat ZERO veggies and have lost 60 lbs since new years), dairy (the right stuff) and have at it.

Avoid sugar alcohols they trip a lot of us up.

Ive had a hard time sticking to anything for long, I have not cheated (until yesterday, I planned a cheat meal) in three months. Its easy if you can eat breads etc.

ladyinlove56 03-24-2014 02:43 PM

Just take one step and day at a time....I just stopped the flour and sugar...I cook LC fresh foods...meats, veggies.....Have salads...I don't let my calories go crazy high....I don't use any Atkins products except the LC ...M&Ms for my DH....I write on my journal each day for my own inspiration....I weigh each day but only put down the # when I have a loss...that way the scales don't own me with up and down numbers...For myself right now I don't eat after supper...No snacks but for at first might need them to help you get started. I work on projects to keep myself busy...If I have a 1/2 a bag of a small popcorn at the movies ...I just get back on track the next meal....same with a cheat meal...but I don't pig out....This is a journey that cant be done quickly and might have a little detours but I will get to the finish line and stay there.....:)

sbarr 03-24-2014 02:54 PM

ness - which plan did you follow earlier? If you were on Atkins, and were successful, I would suggest you refer back to your book and start over with induction and follow the plan as written.

If you don't have the Atkins New Diet Revolution, it would be a good place to start.

There are some good other plans, but from what I've seen of so many people coming through over the years, Atkins is a good, solid way to start - and then once you've gotten your confidence, then there are other plans to look into.

Best of luck!

AsmallerME 03-24-2014 03:12 PM

I agree with sbarr. Get out the book, re-read, and recommit. Don't gain it all back. You'll be 100x more mad at yourself if you do.

And I'd start with a clean induction. No fake breads. It will only keep the cravings alive.

Leo41 03-24-2014 03:16 PM

I always find re-reading the books 'inspirational.' My personal preference is the Eades' ProteinPower, but there are all sorts of plans/books for every individual.

Although he's not low carb and I don't agree with his eating advice, I find the psychologist Stephen Gullo (he has several books) to be particularly helpful in dealing with the 'mental' aspect of losing weight--and IMO, 95% of it is related to a person's mindset.

ness2616 03-24-2014 03:36 PM

Thanks everyone. Sound advice. And I agree it is mindset Leo. I had my mind set for such a long time. I am not sure when my mind became unset!

Sirtain 03-24-2014 04:00 PM

I suggest starting every meal and snack with some protein. Nothing too processed. After a few days, it will really cut your carb-cravings down, and make following whichever plan you decide on, much easier.

clackley 03-24-2014 04:02 PM

I so understand your struggle. Been there - done that and it was pure misery.

I hate admitting it but it was shame that got to me in the end. I hated how I looked and felt and a picture of myself with my young thin daugher really drove that home for me. It then was white knuckling it until I was fully keto adapted.

Support here was also instrumental. Lean on us. We want to help.

Patience 03-24-2014 04:42 PM

Just start
Not saying that it is easy but starting seems to be the big step.
That start will bring momentum in just a few days.
There are prep things you can do . . . read books, clear the cupboards, plan meals, etc. But still the thing is to start.

Does it help to analyze and learn from when previous plans went awry?

Willgirl 03-24-2014 11:44 PM

In terms of mindset what really helped me was looking at this as medical rather than just a diet. I treat carbs the way a person with another food intolerance would...very occasionally okay to have bit, but overall, unsafe for me. This switch from "I need to lose weight so I am on this diet that works if I follow it" to "I have discovered that I am highly intolerant of carbs and so I cannot eat them" has really helped me stay on track. Reading a lot and watching a lot of videos on research behind ketogenic diets helped cement this mindset for me...after a month of hardcore keto research I almost feel an aversion to carbs because they I see how much they damage me.

Coming to the boards to ask for help is a great start!

Trigger828 03-25-2014 04:30 AM

For my mind, I think of carbs as poison. helps me.

being on lc way of life for a bit, I really now think very hard before any junky carby stuff goes into my mouth. Since I said it so much, carbs are poison, in the back of my mind, I kinda know it is what is keeping me on track. that little voice saying, YOU KNOW that is junk. YOU KNOW that is poison to your body and not going to help weight loss!!
stay on lc and live right :)

sounds simple and it is but somehow it has helped me a bunch to get thru hard times of all the foods I gave up.

Leo41 03-25-2014 04:36 AM

I really don't like to 'demonize' any food at all. Carbs are fine--for some people. I just don't happen to be one of them. I prefer to be positive and to think of myself as making good food choices for myself each day.

I've learned what's good for me, what I can tolerate, and what I need to avoid. It's mainly an issue of health, and, of course, weight management is an important aspect of my overall health.

E.W. 03-25-2014 04:51 AM

Like Leo41 said carbs are fine for some people. I lost about 100 lbs doing low carb twice and an about 50 lbs perhaps 7 or 8 times doing low carb but just couldn't stay on it. So I am doing JUDDD as it seems for me a lot easier to stick to and if i do have a slip I don't regain nearly as fast as falling off the low carb diet.

FreeFromFat 03-25-2014 05:34 AM

Right there with you!

I am right there with you! I just need to "get r done". Pick my self up, dust myself off and just START. I will take one day at a time. And when that gets too hard, I will take one meal at a time; and when that gets too hard: one BITE at a time.

That's my plan, and I am hoping to stick to it till the end of my journey.

:eggs:

ness2616 03-25-2014 08:28 AM

Thank you to everyone that took the time to help. It means alot to me. It was the support and reaching out that got through the first time I did this and it will again, if I let it and stop standing in my own way!!! Thanks again! :heart::heart:

AnneK 03-25-2014 08:52 AM

Ness, what helps me is to read a lot, because everyday I find something that makes me feel that this way of eating works. As hard as some days are to stick to it, at the end of the day or the week it works.
When I read that this person lost this much and other this much makes me feel, I can do it to. I know that in my head, but it just helps to see that everyday from others.

Also, for me it helps to have things planned and prepared that I am not suddenly without proper foods and give in. If I start to feel like giving in, I try to have some protein (chicken, fish) and water and try to make it through the day. Next day, two things happen - I feel proud that I didn't give up and most of the time better with the cravings.

I try to tell myself, just make it through the day, before you know it results start to show and that feels great. Try to remember that great feeling of keeping at it when you want to give up.

Not sure if above makes much sense to you, but it has been helpful in the past for me. If I have a bad day, I try to put it behind, forgive myself and try to do a few clean days, after 3 clean days, I always feel better.