Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Oatmeal, the one thing I really miss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/826470-oatmeal-one-thing-i-really-miss.html)

afurrything 03-24-2014 10:34 AM

Oatmeal, the one thing I really miss

Right now I'm trying to stay on induction for awhile until I get closer to maintenance. So no grains.
I do intend on trying to add oatmeal back in at some point because of everything I don't eat right now, oatmeal is what I miss the most.
Not that I even ate it very often. once a week maybe, not even that often, but I just love the comfort of a nice hot bowl of oatmeal.

So what's a good one? I usually got Quaker Old Fashioned, but now they have so many different kinds!

dgidaho 03-24-2014 12:39 PM

Have you ever considered chia seeds? I thought they were kind of funky before trying them, but was rather impressed. If nothing else, you could dilute your oatmeal's impact by mixing the two and use less oatmeal. Just a thought, and you might not like them, but it also might be worth considering.

Ronnie51 03-24-2014 12:48 PM

I'm sorry, I don't have a recommendation, although I have read that steel cut oatmeal is good for you. I think the Silver Palate makes a hearty steel cut oatmeal. I really just wanted to commiserate with you. I also miss oatmeal, but I really miss my Spoon Size Shredded Wheat (plain & with bran). I love everything about it, the crunch, the taste, hmmm. Sorry, I know I'm not helping.��

afurrything 03-24-2014 01:13 PM

Chia seeds are on lmy list of things to try, so that might work!

Oh yeah cereal. I did used to love a big bowl of crunchy cereal :love:

Larissima 03-27-2014 07:19 AM

I haven't tried chia seeds, but I do occasionally eat ground flaxseed with hot water. Only 1-2 T and about half a cup of boiling water per tablespoon. The mixture thickens up and expands, then I add some double cream (HWC) or yogurt, maybe even a few berries, and it really hits the spot when I want some comforting, thick goop! If you like it chewy/crunchy, just add shredded almonds or coconut...

It is not only filling, but also satisfying for a good few hours - I remember being very hungry shortly after a bowl of oatmeal!

TheBigKahuna 03-27-2014 07:26 AM

My kids were begging for oatmeal yesterday, so I bought them some at the store. It's never been something I've craved or eaten much of. I miss cereal more than anything. I miss the simplicity and ease of making a bowl of Kellog's Mini Wheats each morning. I have grown to despise cooking eggs every morning. Breakfast is the ONE meal that makes me sick of LC after time.

Beeb 03-27-2014 07:44 PM

I use this for hot cereal and also use it to make waffles that come out REALLY good!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ot-cereal.html

webcrystal 03-27-2014 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna (Post 16852497)
(snip) I have grown to despise cooking eggs every morning. Breakfast is the ONE meal that makes me sick of LC after time.

Well you don't really have to eat traditional breakfast foods for breakfast :)
you can eat anything you want ... like a chili, stew, steak, etc. It's kind of a hard concept to get out of since most of us are raised that way. lol. I'm not really a scrambled egg fan (although I love poached and deviled) - anyway I often will just eat a hamburger patty w/cheese or other leftovers from dinner. Even though I eat other than breakfast foods I still work in low carb pancakes, muffins, etc. so if you want to stick to traditional breakfast food style. .. have you tried the minute muffins I've seen tons of posts for them and lots of variations. or lc pancakes. Perhaps lc sausage gravy over lc "biscuit" ... Yummly also has some interesting low carb breakfast ideas without eggs.

TheBigKahuna 03-28-2014 08:11 AM

I need to figure out a LC breakfast that I can make up a large batch, and heat up in the AM. I'm not only sick of eating eggs, but sick of having to cook them.

I need to do some recipe research. lately I've just been having a Zoic shake and a protein bar or Atkins bar.

webcrystal 03-28-2014 09:04 AM

Well if you want to cook once eat often then casseroles, muffins, are probably your best bet.

Pinterest has so many idea with pics you'll get lost for hours lol.. and wind up hungry :D

JillJung is a good one to start with .. I saw peppers/sausage/cheese bake, bacon muffins, etc.

e&m'smom 03-28-2014 09:33 PM

I love Trader Joes frozen steel cut oatmeal. Add anything you'd like to it. If you want a quick oatmeal fix, McDonald's is surprisingly very yummy.

TheBigKahuna 03-29-2014 08:59 AM

I'd have to re-learn how to eat oatmeal. I'm used to having it sweetened and with butter!

I just want something besides eggs. Been eating protein or Atkins bars for breakfast lately. The surprising thing is, I'm not really hungry.

webcrystal 03-29-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e&m'smom (Post 16854656)
If you want a quick oatmeal fix, McDonald's is surprisingly very yummy.

I really liked McDonald's Fruit and Maple till I found out it has like 58g carbs. :mad: Sigh. Should have known lol. Of course if you're not low carbing it might be ok it's like 290 cal/4g fat. And pretty darned tasty.

afurrything 03-29-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e&m'smom (Post 16854656)
I love Trader Joes frozen steel cut oatmeal. Add anything you'd like to it. If you want a quick oatmeal fix, McDonald's is surprisingly very yummy.

Well yeah if I wasn't worried about the carbs these ideas would be great :lol:

When I hit maintenance oatmeal will be the first thing I try adding back in.

afurrything 03-29-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna (Post 16854957)
I'd have to re-learn how to eat oatmeal. I'm used to having it sweetened and with butter!

I just want something besides eggs. Been eating protein or Atkins bars for breakfast lately. The surprising thing is, I'm not really hungry.

I was going to suggest to you to make a quiche when you have time. They're great to cut into pieces and heat up each morning, but if you don't want eggs, that's not going to work :lol:

shirlc 03-29-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna (Post 16854957)

There is nothing morally wrong with not eating breakfast! I couldn't lose weight on low carb, but I've gotten to goal since I've been watching carbs AND calories on JUDDD. All I have in the morning is coffee with HWC. Just a thought!