Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Ideals for Dual Dinners? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/826465-ideals-dual-dinners.html)

MrsBettyDraper 03-24-2014 08:29 AM

Ideals for Dual Dinners?

Does anyone have ideas for dinners that I can eat as LC and can be adjusted for the rest of the family? For example making tacos for them and a LC taco salad for me.

Thanks!:)

afurrything 03-24-2014 08:32 AM

I usually just eat whatever meat and veggies I make for my kids. I omit the starchy side dish.
On nights when that isn't possible, like if I roast a chicken with carrots and potatoes, I'll eat the chicken and make myself some different veggies. It's really so quick and easy to roast some veggies. I just pop them on a cookie sheet, add some olive oil and garlic and leave it in the oven for 15 or so minutes.

Editing to add, I guess a lot of nights I just make my own dinner. Like tonight my kids have requested fish sticks and macaroni. Neither of which I'll eat. So I'm having roasted asparagus and some sort of meat, not sure what yet.
But most nights it's just easier for me to make my own separate dinner.

ljguitar 03-24-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsBettyDraper (Post 16848595)
Does anyone have ideas for dinners that I can eat as LC and can be adjusted for the rest of the family? For example making tacos for them and a LC taco salad for me.

Thanks!:)

Hi MBD...

A challenge is cooking low carb and eating with family.

When we had all 4 boys at home, I'd just eat salads, meat, veggies etc. and skip the bread, potatoes and gravy. I still made all the chili, spaghetti etc that you'd expect, and modified my versions. It's not hard if you're building chili with beef-n-beans to make a second batch which is bean-less.

We also did a lot of low carb stews, roasts, turkey, ham, etc. (they didn't know they were low carb).

We also boiled a lot of eggs, and I'd slice them into things or just eat em plain.

And the family ate the same salads and vegetables I did. Broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, cabbage, celery, tomatoes, onions were staples (still are).

And I made it a point to never complain or discuss my different eating. They just accepted it as long as I made them good food.

leeloo 03-24-2014 08:58 AM

I agree with Larry - just don't eat the bread, potatoes, noodles or whatever.

And I think his point about setting the tone, attitude-wise, is even more important.

If I was still feeding a family, I'd fix a protein, a cooked vegetable, and a salad for all of us, and a simple starchy side for the non LC folks. A simple starchy side could be bread and butter, plain boiled or baked potatoes, rice, or pasta. Minimal extra work for the cook! :laugh:.

Portia 03-24-2014 09:00 AM

I generally do what has been posted already. One night per week the kids get to choose dinner and if it's pizza or similar, I eat LC leftovers or make a protein shake and have a salad. This also gives me a break from cooking every night.

afurrything 03-24-2014 09:15 AM

Oh and I confess I try to keep a low carb tv dinner in the freezer in case I'm too lazy to make my own separate dinner.

Barbie83 03-24-2014 10:38 AM

Crockpot Alfredo Chicken

serve it over fettuccine for them, eat it as is for you! It's delicious.

ladyinlove56 03-24-2014 12:13 PM

I agree with Larry.....My DH and I are both are losting weight but I cook LC and just add the fruit he needs and I don't have...He cant eat red meat with his gout attacks so I try to have that for my lunch while he is at work or have it out to eat when he is enjoying something else he really enjoys on the menu...When my family are visiting I cook them the gravy is needed but I just don't touch it...just look the other way LOL

RoseofSharon 03-24-2014 04:53 PM

If you are looking for ideas, here are our favorites:

Stir fries! Endless variations, all LC, add rice for the kids
Baked potato bar with a variety of toppings like broccoli, cheese, sour cream. I scrape my potato out to leave just the skin and fill it with toppings
Salad bar with a variety of toppings and dressings
Baked ham with creamed cabbage
Simple things. Tonight we are having steaks, corn and salad.
LC casseroles like the ones on Linda Sue's site

MrsBettyDraper 03-24-2014 06:43 PM

Thanks everyone! I'll try to think some up and post here too. :)

SlimFast 03-24-2014 09:10 PM

Just about any sauce (pasta sauce, mushroom cream sauce, etc) can go over frenched green beans for you just as well as it goes over pasta for the family. That's my suggestion. Curries also go over broccoli nicely while the others have rice. Soups are great for all if you pass on the potatoes and noodles.

learning2love 03-24-2014 11:13 PM

My boys.. DH and DS's x 2 and I tend to eat most of the same meals. I just add a starch for them or substitute one out for me.

Examples.

Beef Stroganoff - I fry all the meat together and season with salt and pepper, spices, remove my portion to a smaller saucepan and make theirs as usual.
Mine I thicken with cream and xantham gum and some kind of low carb sauce for a little extra flavor. They eat theirs on rice while mine goes over miracle rice/noodles

Meatloaf? I make the entire meatloaf low carb (no breadcrumb, lots of mushroom, zuchinni etc). They get mashed potatoes while I have mine with mashed cauliflower.

Hamburgers are a weekly meal with us. As above I make the whole mix low carb and they eat on buns while I have mine with lettuce.

Chicken pesto on pasta. Like the beef stroganoff i remove my portion and then spice/sauce/flavor up theirs while mine tends to have more butter/cream/cheese. They have pasta while I use miracle noodles.

On the whole it's not that hard to make one meal for the family and yourself as long as you portion out the protein before adding the carby bits to theirs. Even with their lasagna I cook it to a point, then divide off some meat for myself and add alot of tomato sauce on theirs while I carefully portion sauce on mine then make a lower carb version.

Some people might think it's more work but it works for me. I admit I like the meatloaf/hamburger/chicken& steak on the grill nights more than the nights where I portion off a bit for myself. Less work.

leeloo 03-25-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlimFast (Post 16849555)
Just about any sauce (pasta sauce, mushroom cream sauce, etc) can go over frenched green beans for you just as well as it goes over pasta for the family. That's my suggestion. Curries also go over broccoli nicely while the others have rice. Soups are great for all if you pass on the potatoes and noodles.

These are all good options. Sauteed cabbage is great under sauces, too, and mashed cauliflower is my go-to for comfort foods like learning2love mentions below.

And I like spinach alongside my breakfast eggs sometimes - it's great for soaking up the yolk. (This is practically the only meal that makes me miss toast!)

MrsBettyDraper 03-25-2014 09:00 AM

Oh, these are all great ideas! I really like the sauce over veggies idea. Hadn't thought of that. I adore sauteed cabbage with EVOO and garlic.

learning2love your ideas are great, thanks for listing them for me!

moonmirror 03-25-2014 12:15 PM

Honestly, I think cooking for carb eaters is really easy with LC! You just make your LC meals (check out Linda Sue!); which might be pieces of meat or casseroles made with cheese/veg/meat, and add rice or potatoes! Done. You eat the main dish, everyone else adds their starch.

LOTS of classic low carb meals are incredibly delicious over potatoes or rice; or maybe some sourdough on the side.