Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
Does anyone do low fat, low carb?

I know, I know - no bashing please I know how fat works in a low carb diet and have been eating this way for 10 years.
I've done the fat fast, HFLC and I love what it's done for me weigh wise.
I don't really have a lot of weight to lose just those elusive last 10 vanity pounds or so.

I'm approaching menopause and am in hormonal hell with bloating and breast tenderness, everything I'm reading to help with this is advocating a low fat diet, with leafy greens, vegetables etc.
I'm not going to do grains and will only stick to low glycemic fruits, like berries.

So can anyone recommend a plan, that incorporates this way of eating, I'd like to try it for a month to see if it helps?
SuzanneM is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
what are you thinking about fat being low in terms of grams?

I can relate about not going to HIGH fat, now that I only need to lose about 3 lbs to be at goal. However, I do need olive oil or I stall in weight loss. Sometimes, I even have grass fed beef or fatty fish to make my fat intake.

I just do better with not having a HF diet, but everyone is different. I would not say I am low fat, but not high either.
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Well I've never been a bacon and eggs type person, just not a fan.
I would say that most of my high fat cals come from cheese, hwc, mayo, high fat dressings, 80/20 ground beef, occasional fatty rib eyes, I'm quite a monotonous eater.

I wouldn't give up my olive oil, I cook most things in it, it's a good fat.
For my protein I guess I'd be looking at leaner cuts of meat, more fish, like salmon and shrimp and jumping my green vegetable intake, spinach, kale, broccoli etc
Old 03-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Locarbarella
Stats: 188/125/125 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb maintenance since 2007
Start Date: Atkins 2006
Stillman's is low fat, low carb. There's a thread dedicated to it on the forum home page. Many people seem to have success with it.

FWIW, I found that in order to lose/maintain during menopause I did better if I was aware of my calories. You can do that a lot of ways, of course, and counting macros is certainly one way to do it. I just got more conscious of portions and tried to eat a few more leafy greens and it helped. Recently, I did JUDDD for a couple of months to dislodge a stubborn 8 pounds and it worked great.

Also, the menopausal body is going through as big a change as pregnancy and puberty. So be kind to it. It passes and you'll be back in charge soon.

Locarbarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Lowcarberella, I forgot all about Stillmans, I did that once years ago I think.
I'd be okay if I didn't lose another pound, but managed my well being with a healthy diet and exercise, I'm just soooo uncomfortable in my skin right now, I'm looking at the tweaks I can make that could make a difference.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I think you are doing just fine, but I get it. I am not in menopause, but I do think lowcarbarella has a good point! why not look into other plans as well.

I will consider this myself.

I understand, I am not a bacon.egg person either.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
Suzanne, have you considered cutting out the dairy? That is something that took me FOREVER to part with, as it was a main staple for me on LC......but the more I kept reading about it the more I realized that I really need to give it a try. I replaced HWC with coconut cream, and cream cheese & shredded cheese with some really good dairy free vegan substitutes and honestly it has been much easier than I anticipated. Oh....and I also dropped 3 pounds in 4 days. If you're trying to lose those last few vanity pounds I'd seriously consider dropping the dairy.....just a thought!

Be the type of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap....she's up"!!

Made it to Onederland 7/1/14!!!
199 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145
ladyboss7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
I went with the Lean for Life plan (there's a group on here) because when I hit menopause age my weight started creeping up - what had worked for years suddenly didn't work any more. I work out and 14 years low carb eating clean. I continue to use an on line tracker, watch portion sizes and tend to eat leaner cuts of meat and limit carbs.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I've been using JUDDD quite successfully. I was very hesitant to try it because I just didn't think I could survive on so few calories on down days. However, I am really enjoying this WOE and I'm at goal. I just had about 10 lbs to lose, too. I watch calories, carbs and protein. As I've upped my protein lately, my carbs have naturally gone down...nothing like Atkins, but 80-100 carbs on a non-fasting day. My fasting days are 500-550 calories and I have found things I enjoy eating for that small amount of cals.

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips."
Oliver Goldsmith

"Make peace with the past so it won't screw up the present." Regina Britt
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Have you tracked your numbers? That can be so helpful. That way you know for sure exactly how many calories, carb, fat you are getting. It has been an invaluable tool for me.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KampyKool
Stats: 2007: 216/144......... 2014: 219/204/145
WOE: Atkins
Low fat/low carb ... Sounds a lot like "South Beach", which is a great plan for a lot of people.
KampyKool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #12
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
What about low carb, moderate fat?
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Diamond Deb- I like it. Mod fat, low carb.

Is that what you stick to?

Also, JUDD seems pretty popular here. I wonder if I should give it a try. I feel like I do that already. Some days, I dont even try and I eat about 500 calories.. hmmm... interesting.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #14
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
No, I am high fat but not very high. I usually average around 65% fat naturally. It is where my body is satisfied. Very high fat doesn't work any better for me than very low fat. Both leave me feeling unsatisfied & hungry.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll look into them all.
I will miss the appetite suppression and satiety that comes from high fat, but somethings going on with the balance in my body and something's off kilter, I'll do a few tweaks, like cut out dairy for starters and see how I do.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:56 AM   #16
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Suzanne-
I get appetite suppression with protein, and you may find a similar result. Typically, I eat low carb with moderate fat; I have never been able to physically tolerate high fat. I also find that even with 20g of carbs, I can't lose if I have too much fat.

But for medical reasons, I often have to eat low-fat, high-carb, and I find no problems at all. I am just wary of low fat 'products' because they are typically infused with 'fillers.' I rarely eat dairy, so I mainly eat fish, lean meats, egg whites and some vegetables. By body seems to thrive on this WOE.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:00 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Hey Suzanne!

I am doing A'72 with my version of low fat. I probably average < 20 g of fat a day. Is that considered low fat?

I don't calculate fat grams as part of this WOE, just kcals (1000-1200 daily) and 6 grams of carbs. About 2 or 3 times a week I break down and have about 1-2 oz of pork rinds (I love the crunch) but it's occasionally -- so that's NOT low fat. LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a diet,
It’s my salvation, my key to being
Healthy, happy and thinner!”
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:15 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I went with the Lean for Life plan (there's a group on here) because when I hit menopause age my weight started creeping up - what had worked for years suddenly didn't work any more. I work out and 14 years low carb eating clean. I continue to use an on line tracker, watch portion sizes and tend to eat leaner cuts of meat and limit carbs
Well, this is depressing. I have not hit menopause yet and with all I am doing, I was hoping to thwart the weight gain aspect. So I will keep this all in mind for the future. I am currently losing and have anywhere around 30 or 40 still more to go. I mean, I'd love to keep losing steadily until I get there, but that doesn't look to be very promising to actually happen.

Yeah, how do you go about tweaking what has always worked for you in the past when that suddenly stops working? Esp. when I'm just really eating intuitively: eat when hungry, stop when full.
LDL: 191
Madmarsha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:56 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
I think the way you are thinking about it is good. Take some of the fat out of the stuff you are eating or eating leaner protein. Just realize, the low fat in processed foods, usually is the results of fat being pulled out and having the fat replaced with sugar. So you want to continue to avoid low fat processed foods.

Since you are close to goal, yes I think the approach you are suggesting has merit.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote