Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   weight lifting and weight gain (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/826414-weight-lifting-weight-gain.html)

emily1 03-23-2014 08:48 AM

weight lifting and weight gain

So I started doing a weight lifting regime last sunday. I went from weighing 163 on sunday to 160.8 on thursday which was a huge loss for me since I usually lose about a pound a week. Yesterday I went to the gym for about an hour and a half doing heavier weights. This morning I got on the scale for my weekly weight in and it says I have gained 2 pounds since thursday. Now I am at 162.8.
I did not really do anything different this week with exception to weight lifting. My question is: Would heavy weight lifting yesterday cause this 2 lb weight gain this morning? Is it possible that I am holding water weight today because of the work out yesterday?

Here is what I ate yesterday:
Breakfast: HWC coffee
Snack after workout: protein shake
Snack #2: 3 1oz pieces of cheese
Snack #3: 1 choco-lite bar (100 calories)
Dinner: steak with acocado and sour cream
Drinks: about a gallon of water

Yes this seems like a lot of food however this is my normal type of diet. I tend to eat a lot. I am a grazer and tend to snack all day. But seriously? 2 lbs? Can that be water?

Thanks in advance for your replies

sbarr 03-23-2014 09:17 AM

If you query on exercise and weight gain, you'll find several threads.

Here's an interesting one:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...ight-gain.html

Jrw85705 03-23-2014 09:25 AM

I experience the same thing especially if I do a heavier workout than normal or if I have taken my muscles to the point of total fatigue (which in my case doesn't take much). I was puzzled at the beginning but now I expect it.

cprcheetah 03-23-2014 10:41 AM

I am experiencing the same problem, not lifting weights but walking 2 miles per day and have gained inches on my thighs/calves and feel the burn :), have also gained a little weight.

emily1 03-23-2014 10:49 AM

wow I am glad I am not alone. Sbarr, that was a great article! I am not going to let the weight gain scare me away from lifting weights because I love "feeling the burn", I feel stronger, more energized. For myself, it is worth a bit of weight gain to be stronger. I also think that eventually that weight will come off.

DiamondDeb 03-23-2014 10:51 AM

It is just water weight. The scale fluctuates on a daily basis. You must realize that & that it is not fat gain/loss when you see that. It is just total weight at any given moment.

Take your measurements regularly - lots of them! If you are eating healthy and working out you will be losing fat & your measurements will be going down. That is proof you are losing fat. The scale is worthless when it comes to showing fat loss.

cprcheetah 03-23-2014 11:00 AM

Yes definitely take your measurments, good point! I am sort of stalled for a few days, but took my measurements, I have lost 5" in 2 & 1/2 weeks, so things are progressing. It's not just about the scale/weight.

Peace 03-23-2014 01:56 PM

I always gain when I lift. But... I would much rather be strong and healthy versus frail and thinner. Just saying.

Be grateful that you CAN lift and exercise:)

jhbyrd 03-23-2014 03:11 PM

Yep lifting does make a differenct, get this my friend and I weight around the same amount and same height, I exercise weights, cardio and etc. She does not,

My size in pants 6/8, hers 10/12, without our cloths just say you can tell who does exercise and not. (not that I look wonderful). That is way using the tape is so important!! By the way she does WW and I do LC big differnce-we agree to disagree, lol!! We both use to be A LOT bigger.

Jeannie

Bluqq 03-26-2014 07:31 AM

I have been lifting seriously for about 2 years now
I gained weight but I'm leaner than I've ever been. My body fat content is much lower at a slightly higher weight
You get that initial water gain but if you really do it seriously than you will sustain a slightly higher weight probably....but your metabolism will be insane

werkn'it 03-26-2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhbyrd (Post 16847820)
Yep lifting does make a differenct, get this my friend and I weight around the same amount and same height, I exercise weights, cardio and etc. She does not,

My size in pants 6/8, hers 10/12, without our cloths just say you can tell who does exercise and not. (not that I look wonderful). That is way using the tape is so important!! By the way she does WW and I do LC big differnce-we agree to disagree, lol!! We both use to be A LOT bigger.

Jeannie

Thank you for sharing - this has been incredibly helpful for me!