Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Vacation and What I learned:)

So, I came back and was 3 lbs lighter, with not much exercise in 10 days. Also, I was strict with carbs for the last 5 days. Always under 20.

I had a really strange reaction when I came back to the midwest... after being in sunshine and on the west coast. Well, I know where I belong after this degree... back in CA. Hopefully I just feel so much more comfortable and my lifestyle resonates with that way of living. However, I think at my age, i am ready to settle (somewhat) in a place that feels right for me regardless of being alone. So, that being said, I was much more focused and relaxed with my eating after 2 days of freaking out about not having the constant stress/rush. I was born raised in NY so I think it is hard to learn how to slow down. My low carb eating was sooo much better with proper rest and just feeling comfortable with my environment. I know we need to fee good about ourselves and it comes from within not external; however, I do think that the environment plays a huge role in how to function.

So, I yesterday and today i was sick had a cold, headache and runny nose. The only thing different was I increased my salt intake in the last few days, and I did have some parm cheese in my salad at the airport yesterday. However, I brought my tuna, so I would not have any other gluten allergies. I actually ordered some chicken at quiznos because the manager said it was gf, but I think it might have had dairy in it. Last night, I could not even sleep my head was so stuffed and this only happens with dairy. Weird.

Well, I wonder how I did so awesome on vacation and then I came home and went a little over on carbs.. prob still under 25 but not as low as I was before, plus I think I ate more protein. Also, had some almond butter which I totally did not care about when I was away..Hmm...

I really want to take what i have learned and apply it to my life here in school as much as possible.

Sorry to ramble, but it was such a valuable experience personally, professionally and emotionally... all relating to my low carb lifestyle as well.

Thanks for helping me through the adjustment.

Tomorrow is a new day and back to the gym. I am going to try and not be soooo fanatic about getting there everyday, but it seems to be my coping mechanism while under stress which is always in school.

lastly, do you think that everyone needs extra salt on low carb? I was reading the thread and it sounds like it is good for me, but I dont want to be all puffy again.
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2014, 06:26 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
On the lifestyle: it's so important to figure out what makes you happy and keeps you calmer and flying level. I'm changing jobs and my weight is up a bit - I see a direct correlation. And regarding salt: I use Morton's light salt, which is a potassium blend. I have found that on low carb I am prone to having leg cramps and research showed me that low potassium could be the culprit. Too much sodium makes me retain water - and it's the potassium not the sodium that I need.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Casey
Thanks so much for the comment. Glad you agree on the lifestyle change, I do feel like it can impact our woe a bit. Luckily, I never steer wayyyy off but I also am very conscious if what goes into my body, like yourself. So... It's easier to recognize when something doesn't quite "feel" right happy low carb day.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Glad you had a good trip Peace! I totally believe our environment affects us. Restful sleep is very important as that's when our bodies repair and get ready for the next day. I'm sure you know this, stress = cortisol = difficult if not impossible to lose.

Going to the gym is a good way to reduce stress, but so is walking, at least for me. I know you'll do great!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

snow-- you are right.. I could walk! Today was better and feel like I might be getting back to my routine.

I keep forgetting how stress-cortisol- fat tummy.

Breathe...ahhhhh
Old 03-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Again... thanks for being so supportive everyone. This is a big step for me. No gym for 10 days is like "unheard of" for me. I have come alongggg way.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: palegirl
Stats: 249/144/145 2006:199/136/140 2013:206/165/145
WOE: Atkins Sizes:20W-22M/8/8
Start Date: thanksgiving 2002 Height: 5'7 Age:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I had a really strange reaction when I came back to the midwest... after being in sunshine and on the west coast. Well, I know where I belong after this degree... back in CA. Hopefully I just feel so much more comfortable and my lifestyle resonates with that way of living. However, I think at my age, i am ready to settle (somewhat) in a place that feels right for me regardless of being alone. So, that being said, I was much more focused and relaxed with my eating after 2 days of freaking out about not having the constant stress/rush. I was born raised in NY so I think it is hard to learn how to slow down. My low carb eating was sooo much better with proper rest and just feeling comfortable with my environment. I know we need to feel good about ourselves and it comes from within not external; however, I do think that the environment plays a huge role in how to function.
Hi Peace, I identify so much with what you wrote here. I am also from NY and now I live on the west coast (Seattle.) I never dreamed I'd settle down on the west coast but I love both influences and I feel like it is a great environment for me. I don't know what your age is, but I'm 34 and single and am so happy that I moved here 4 years ago. xoxo
palegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Palegirl

You are so kind to post about this! Thanks so much. I actually interviewed at UW for rehab science in Seattle for my PhD, but it wasn't the best fit. I love the west coast. So glad to hear that you went from East to West,... some people say that NY people don't fit in on the west but I feel like it is such a great fit for me!

Congrats on your stats by the way!

Where in NY are you from?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: palegirl
Stats: 249/144/145 2006:199/136/140 2013:206/165/145
WOE: Atkins Sizes:20W-22M/8/8
Start Date: thanksgiving 2002 Height: 5'7 Age:35
Oh, thanks! You're sweet. I grew up in Westchester County.

It's true there definitely was a bit of culture clash and an adjustment period. Seattle is known for having a "passive-aggressive culture" which it took me some time to get a handle on. My friend once said "you always get what you want because you ask for it directly." Yeah, I do!

I lived in Boston for 3 years and Kansas City Missouri for 2 years (TERRIBLE fit for me!) before moving here. And I think I'm going to stay!

Where are you from? How old are you?

By the way, I think this is totally relevant to LC, being in the right environment definitely effects our ability to make good choices for our health.
8/13-3/14 206/164.5/145?

I'm losing weight sloooooowly now.
palegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Pale girl..sending you a PM
Old 03-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
I envy you the opportunity to be able to move to another environment that is a better fit. You sound like you've learned quite a bit about yourself in the process and that is so refreshing.

Regarding needing extra salt - that would probably be a YMMV because so many different foods have different salt levels.

Keep up the good work!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: afurrything
Stats: 240/177/135 5'3"
Start Date: October 2010
Whenever I fly I end up with a stuffy head not sure why.
afurrything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I really appreciate it. Now, I just need to stay focused on the goal. Complete this program ( school) and move on to a different location that feels so right for me.

I find it amazing how different I feel when I am not comfortable in my atmosphere. It is ok though, I will adjust! I noticed I crave more fat here.. I wonder if it is the cold weather... trying to warm up or something? When I was in warm weather, I ate less and definitely didn't analyze my foods so much. Could be that I was on vacation as well.. but then again, I did DO a TON of work and was actually so much more productive. Interesting.!