LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 05:15 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetA
Stats: 185/153/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart January 2014
Tried my first fat fast

I tried my first fat fast, three days of calories near 1,000, but 90% of them coming from fats. I didn't really need to do one. I've been losing on the slow side, but losing. It was just an experiment, and I hoped to give my weight loss a little goose, I guess.

It was easy to do in one way, but hard in another. I was never hungry, because the fats suppressed my appetite, but it was hard to adjust to eating so little food! And because I ate such small amounts, it kind of felt like I had a food disorder, if you know what I mean. I used recipes from Dana Carpender's Fat Fast book. I can see why Dr. Atkins warned that it should only be used by severely metabolically resistant people, or people suffering long-term stalls.

I lost four pounds in three days, but I expect one or two pounds will come back on when I adjust to my regular ratio of nutrients. My skin looks great, because of the fats in my diet. Because of the teeny, tiny meals, I probably won't do it again unless I stall for weeks and weeks. Anyway, those are my impressions of the fat fast. Anyone else try it? What are yours?
JanetA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sexyback
Stats: 242.8/178/130
Start Date: February 1, 2014
I just did two days, my first time, to help kick me out of a 9 day stall. I agree with your observations. Very little food, and even though I wasn't hungry either, I missed the pleasure of eating a "meal". It's a great tool, but one I will use only sparingly.
Sexyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
I love the fat fast! I use them intermittently when my body feels like it's wants a rest from regular food. I only do it for 2 or 3 days and then go back to my regular WOE.
ladyboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: painted_klown
Stats: 312/298/200
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: May 07, 2008 - Re-induced 01-01-14
I have never heard of this fat fast, can someone please explain how it works, or link me to a description.

OP, I am glad to hear the fat fast gave you the boost you wanted.
painted_klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

The Fat fast was introduced by Atkins, it was designed for those who are severely metabolic resistant or having trouble getting into or maintaining ketosis. In a nutshell you take a period of 2 - 5 days and structure your eating to be 1000 calories per day with 90% of those being from fat.

IMO it's really easy to do IF you track everything in an online journal that tracks your calories, carbs, fat and protein ratios....almost all of them do and most of them are free.

It does NOT have to be complicated, most people make it far more difficult than it is....Just play with your daily menu in the tracker until you hit the magic ratio of 1000 calories and 90% fat and voila....that's it.

I enjoy them because my body responds REALLY well to increased fat, I tend to lose more when my fat % is higher, it also gives my body a break....it will usually tell me when it wants to do a fat fast because I will wake up with ZERO hunger....so on those days I'll do a FF.

Be the type of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap....she's up"!!

Made it to Onederland 7/1/14!!!
199 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145
Old 03-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: painted_klown
Stats: 312/298/200
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: May 07, 2008 - Re-induced 01-01-14
Ladyboss, Thanks you for the information. I will look for the tracking websites as you recommended and see what I come up with. At this point, I recently broke through a (roughly) 3 week stall, so I don't think I need to do one right away. However, that gives me time to learn about how it works, and to plan what my meals will be when it comes time to try it.

Thanks again!

Last edited by painted_klown; 03-22-2014 at 11:59 AM..
painted_klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
Thank you for the information you guys. As usual I learned something new today. I looked up the fat fast and find it very intriguing. I usually eat very tiny portions of things throughout the day anyway. The only "meal" I eat is dinner and that is usually just the main dish. So I could actually see this working just fine for me. I do like Dana Carpenters breakdown of tasty recipes, making it look completely doable for me.

Has anyone ever tried cycling with this? In other words 2-3 days on, then one week induction levels then 2-3 days on, or any version there of? Or, is that not recommended?

My only other question would be, what are you allowed to drink on the fat fast? I usually drink 2-3 quarts of iced tea with ez-sweetz a day, water, and diet pepsi. Would these be allowed in unlimited quantities or would I need to restrict my intake?

Thank you,
Mindy

Last edited by Iwantlessofme; 03-22-2014 at 02:01 PM..
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetA
Stats: 185/153/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart January 2014
I don't know about the diet pepsi. I don't drink it, and I couldn't find any reference to it in Dana's book or in Atkins. For caffeine, I made the two, high-fat coffee drinks in the book: Keto Coffee and Caramel Coffee.
JanetA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantlessofme View Post
Thank you for the information you guys. As usual I learned something new today. I looked up the fat fast and find it very intriguing. I usually eat very tiny portions of things throughout the day anyway. The only "meal" I eat is dinner and that is usually just the main dish. So I could actually see this working just fine for me. I do like Dana Carpenters breakdown of tasty recipes, making it look completely doable for me.

Has anyone ever tried cycling with this? In other words 2-3 days on, then one week induction levels then 2-3 days on, or any version there of? Or, is that not recommended?

My only other question would be, what are you allowed to drink on the fat fast? I usually drink 2-3 quarts of iced tea with ez-sweetz a day, water, and diet pepsi. Would these be allowed in unlimited quantities or would I need to restrict my intake?

Thank you,
Mindy
Mindy, I haven't done any specific cycling with this, but I do incorporate it intermittently into my WOE. I probably average 2 or 3 days of fat fast every other week. I drink as much iced tea, water, diet coke etc as I normally do as those are all no calorie.....it never occurred to me to restrict them, and it's never been a problem.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
There is no restriction on calorie free drinks on the fat fast.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
Thank you everyone. I appreciate the information. Knowing that I don't have to restrict what I am drinking for zero calorie drinks has made up my mind that I can do this! I am actually looking forward to trying it.

Mindy
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Gracie514
Stats: 214.6/198/194.6 SECOND GOAL!!!
WOE: HCG- highest wt 250 lbs!!!
Start Date: 1/1/2014 LC 2/17/14 Hhcg
I honestly felt terrible on the fat fast. I felt dizzy a couple times
Gracie514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:57 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BringOnTheLard
Stats: 240/179/150
WOE: Ketogenic / VLCVHF
Start Date: Early Aug 2013
I do fat fasts on occasion, but I do them my way. First, I only do them when I find them comfortable, which is for 1-2 days. When I start feeling like I really need whole food I eat...protein of course. I also keep it really clean and simple, I have access to local, raw, grass fed butter. So I have my usual coffee through the day with heavy cream, a spoonful of butter when ever I feel a bit hungry, and usually a cup of broth later in the day. I end up eating maybe a 1/2 cup of butter through the day. The heavy cream and broth adds more calories, but I think it's less than about 1300 calories for the day.

I work with my body on this. There are some days I start the fast and my body says "nope". So I end up eating my usual VLC/VHF diet that day. Other days it's totally comfortable. Usually my limit is 1 1/2 days though before my body needs protein.

That's all I eat though, I don't do any artificial sweeteners or processed foods. All sweeteners give me cravings and hunger and that's the last thing I need.

My body really seems to like this at times and I end up with 2-3 lbs loss over that time period. And it usually, but not always, sticks.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie514 View Post
I honestly felt terrible on the fat fast. I felt dizzy a couple times
That happened to me getting up on the third day.
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/248/195
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 2014
Thanks for all of the info...I have been curious about the fat fast...I may try it out if I hit a serious stall but I think I will leave it for now!
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote