Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
WOE: Low Carb
Anyone else had this problem on low carb following this board?

Maybe it is just me, however everyone's body and metabolism are created diferently.

I have been following this board for well over a year, since my husband is diabetic. He has done fantastic with the wonderful foods I prepare from the recipes on here.

I, however, not so well. While I love the foods, I have GAINED big time. I guess, too much of a good thing. I now have had to revert to counting calories and that is working for me. Apparently those cookies, cakes, crackers, and fried foods do lead to weight gain.

I am now once again losing now that I am calorie counting, low carb or not!

I do still mostly follow low carb, but not as strict as my husband, and with the calorie counting, I am finally losing once again.

I do continue to follow the suggestions on here because I believe this is the absolute best way for a diabetic to eat.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I also believe this is the way a diabetic should eat. Good for you. You are only 9 lbs. from goal so that why it's so slow. When I was 20 lbs. from goal I had to calorie count.

I so glad it's working now.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Yep. Low carb or not - calories DO count, especially when you think that dessert should be served EVERY night, AND if you're peri-menopausal or beyond. That's when I REALLY had to start paying attention!

Low carb, in and of itself, is NOT a magic bullet. You still have to pay attention and do what works for YOU.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Yep- the closer you are the harder it is to lose anything.

May I suggest lowering your protein and increasing your fat for a few weeks and see if that does the trick first?
JHoberer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Apparently those cookies, cakes, crackers, and fried foods do lead to weight gain.

Did I miss something. I must be reading this wrong, because to me it looks like you thought that cookies, cakes, crackers, would somehow lead to weight loss, and that you got this information here at LCF. Many on the board are ok with frying because it adds fat, but cookies, cakes, and crackers?????????
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetA
Stats: 185/153/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart January 2014
I count calories as well as carbs, too. It's necessary for me at this stage of the game (age 58).
JanetA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:52 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
WOE: Low Carb
I will try lowering the protein, thanks. My main problem is that I love food. I am NOT making any desserts now. Sticking to protein, veggies, very limited cheese and will increase fat.
MSS726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:55 AM   #8
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Overeating will lead to weight gain no matter what the foods are.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/137.4/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
Im kinda confused over the the crackers,cookies, cakes part of the comment confused me....I don't count calories..haven't in 19 years...but I don't eat crackers cookies or cakes...I eat veggies...protein , fat...do indulge in a pc of l/c bread occasionally , now that I am in premaintenance..I have not rushed to substitute l/c goodies for high carb ( note: I did try some for my dh who was struggling...finally settled on a l/c fudge bar at night for him)..I am post menopause so my weight loss is slow ,4-5 lbs per month..I know some have some success for counting calories....I simply refuse...the way I eat is effortless...no obsessive counting calories....of micromanaging every morsel...though I understand some have success that way..I also exercise 420 min a week...which may be what buys me that freedom...the exercise provides me with amazing benefits, that adds to my quality of life.. YMMV
goal made 04.04.14
LowCarbedD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:42 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BringOnTheLard
Stats: 240/179/150
WOE: Ketogenic / VLCVHF
Start Date: Early Aug 2013
Like the others said...."cookies, cakes and crackers", ??????
BringOnTheLard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:04 AM   #11
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I don't like to speak for the OP, but not everyone cooks (or eats) low carb to lose weight. For the OP, the issue was managing her husband's diabetes. So it was quite likely that she baked low-carb treats for him--those 'cakes, cookies, and crackers' that everyone seems so shocked about.

If the focus was on managing his blood sugar, which low-carb does so well, it's easy for a non-diabetic partner to gain weight since the low-carb foods seem 'harmless,' when, in fact, many of those treats are calorically quite dense.

I suspect that the OP can easily lose the added pounds if she recognizes this and sticks to basic foods for herself.

Last edited by Leo41; 03-22-2014 at 08:06 AM..
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
I think the type of food you have been eating is the problem rather than the calories.

Try eating simple and clean for a while. Meat, butter, eggs and moderate amount of leafy vegetables... Nothing processed and no snacks.

Calories and fat are irrelevant as long as you keep your insulin low enough. Hormones have much more to do with fat storage than energy intake.

Personally I wouldn't bother with semi low-carb diet because it simply doesn't work for me and a large part of the population. The human body is "designed" to have a good balance on a ketogenic diet so I think that's the ideal way to go.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: painted_klown
Stats: 312/298/200
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: May 07, 2008 - Re-induced 01-01-14
I have been low carb dieting (off and on) for years, but I find myself really only seeing good results when I count calories along with low carb.

Spinach, broccoli, asparagus, pickles, and chicken have become great friends of mine. LOL!
painted_klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
I also don't want to speak for the OP, but she might mean that the LC versions of cookies, crackers, etc., are keeping her from losing, but not her husband. Some people can't lose eating the LC "treats". I know I can't
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote