Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 05:54 AM   #31
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiri View Post
If Stevia gives you a bitter aftertaste then it will no matter which type you buy. The foundation is the same although you can buy different flavoring. Just like the sweetness the bitter aftertaste also comes from the plant so there is no way around it if the product is made with Stevia.
That has not been my experience. Some brands are bitter, to me, and others aren't.
I find the liquid Now Stevia Glycerite has the most pleasant taste, to me.
Some of the brands recommended by others I thought were awful.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Quote:
If Stevia gives you a bitter aftertaste then it will no matter which type you buy. The foundation is the same although you can buy different flavoring. Just like the sweetness the bitter aftertaste also comes from the plant so there is no way around it if the product is made with Stevia.
I find that the organic powdered stevia at wholefoods has no aftertaste whatsover. However, stevia in the raw tastes very bitter to me. So in my case it does matter which type I buy.
mimivac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I use sucralose in tea and coffee, and homemade SF lemonade. I rarely make sweets, but I do use a small amount of sweetener in some savory recipes as well. Last night, I made ginger garlic wings, and I added a touch of sucralose to the sauce.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SlimFast
Stats: 267/196.5/120
WOE: "Primalified" Stillman's, plus JUDDD cycling.
I only use Stevia, Xylitol, and Erythritol. Anything else doesn't agree with me (or my husband). I also use Stevia to half or three-quarter sweeten something, then finish with a touch of natural honey, maple syrup, or unrefined sugar. In small enough quantity, any sweetener is low enough carb for me. The Stevia gets the taste most of the way there and then the natural sweetener finishes it. I don't like Stevia on its own.
SlimFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KampyKool
Stats: 2007: 216/144......... 2014: 219/204/145
WOE: Atkins
Hi! I just want to thank everyone again for sharing information on this subject. Interesting and helpful!
KampyKool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:56 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I rarely use AS because I discovered that the 'sweet' taste alone would set off cravings for carbs...and not just sweet carbs. I no longer drink diet pop and I've never put sweetener in my tea or coffee but would still occasionally make my low carb cheesecake or even Flax/almond meal muffins and use EZ Sweet in them. Even my family likes the cheesecake made with EZ Sweet and they normally would choose to abstain rather than eat anything with an AS.

However, after being almost AS free, I made a small cheesecake the other day and left out the AS completely...and I liked it. I think it's just a case of retraining our taste buds.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:15 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 44 down, 104 to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 Goal: Under 50g carbs day
Start Date: March 16th 2014
I am eating a cheesecake muffin right now.
I made the batch of 8 with 10 packets of monks fruit and some sf chocolate syrup (splenda) and xylitol.
No after taste at all.

I like xylitol the best BUT it gives me gastrointestinal upset because I tend to overindulge with sweets.
Sweets are my drug of choice.

Only tried Stevia in the raw and Trader Joe's stevia - as much as I *want* to like it, the after taste is so hard for me.
I have a bottle of some kind of liquid sweetener - stevia based - still a bitter after taste, but not as bad...I'm still going to try the EZ sweet or something else.

Hopefully I can rid myself of sweets altogether, but in the mean time I am ok with using AS to not feel deprived.
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Have you not tried replacing the xylitol with erythritol? It's less GI and isn't known for much gastrointestinal problems unlike most of the other sugar alcohols.
Mr_Geiri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tandt
Stats: 297/227/?
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: September 2011
1st choice - Sweet Leaf Stevia
2nd choice - Splenda
tandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
Has anyone tried Natural Mate? It's erythritol and sucrose. Also says it's non gmo.

I just bought some and used it to make avocado/coconut popsicles. Fingers crossed, two experiments in one.
grneyedldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Are you sure it's sucrose? Sucrose is sugar
Old 03-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
Quote:
Are you sure it's sucrose? Sucrose is sugar
Oops...sucralose. Hmm, I think auto-correct needs to be schooled.
grneyedldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

After trying out many different combinations I realized that the closest to the "real thing" was a mixture of erythritol and Splenda (sucralose). So I think it's likely that product will be great.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2AandE
Stats: 237/177/140
WOE: Low Carb-due to PCOS
Start Date: May 25, 2013
Thanks to this thread I now have a Netrition order with some erythritol powder and a bottle of EZ Sweetz. I have Splenda and do use that.

Can someone tell me the ratio of the erythritol and Splenda that you use in recipes?
Mom2AandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

I usually do 50/50 or 1/3 Splenda and 2/3 Erythritol. Depends both on the recipe and how cheap I am at the moment (Erythritol being more expensive and less sweet)
Old 04-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Silverlynx35
Stats: 285/260/185
WOE: Low Carb/No Sugar
Start Date: February 2014
I'm in the Splenda camp. I'd like to try xylitol because I liked the Ice Chips candy with it, but until I get through this Costco sized Splenda bag...
Silverlynx35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Have you not tried replacing the xylitol with erythritol? It's less GI and isn't known for much gastrointestinal problems unlike most of the other sugar alcohols.
I will do that
Old 04-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Ok good Personally I think they taste about as good but erythritol doesn't have the same problems.

Plus xylitilol says it has 1/3 of the calories of sugar so I would never dare to count the carbs from it as 0 like with non-caloric erythritol.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:26 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I prefer stevia, KAL brand, and erythritol or the blend Steviva. The trick with stevia is to use very little then enhance the sweetness with some erythritol. I rarely go over 1/8 tsp of stevia in any recipe. In my zucchini mufin recipe I use 1/8 tsp stevia and 2 tbs Steviva and it's the perfect sweetness for me.

I've used all the others but will no longer use or consume anything with aspartame, ACE-K or sucralose in it, as well as the others like tagatose, poly-d, isomalt, glycerine, saccharin.

Just a heads up on the KAL white stevia extract, they have changed their formula and are now adding maltodextrin to it. You have to get the organic KAL stevia now to get it with out it. Be sure to check your labels and be careful because some retailers still don't show it on their websites in the supplement facts/product details.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #50
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I prefer stevia, KAL brand, and erythritol or the blend Steviva. The trick with stevia is to use very little then enhance the sweetness with some erythritol. I rarely go over 1/8 tsp of stevia in any recipe. In my zucchini mufin recipe I use 1/8 tsp stevia and 2 tbs Steviva and it's the perfect sweetness for me.

I've used all the others but will no longer use or consume anything with aspartame, ACE-K or sucralose in it, as well as the others like tagatose, poly-d, isomalt, glycerine, saccharin.

Just a heads up on the KAL white stevia extract, they have changed their formula and are now adding maltodextrin to it. You have to get the organic KAL stevia now to get it with out it. Be sure to check your labels and be careful because some retailers still don't show it on their websites in the supplement facts/product details.
My KAL stevia is from a vendor on Amazon and, according to the label, it contains no maltodextrin. I will be calling them before ordering again to make sure they still have the pure stevia. I won't purchase any containing maltodextrin & I will make that very clear.

I found a lot of outraged reviews by KAL customers on amazon regarding the added, but unmentioned, ingredient.

I do not really care for the KAL organic stevia so I will be looking for other brands of pure stevia if that becomes KAL's only option.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #51
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/137.7/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post

Thanks for the heads up. I'm still using the same bottle from almost a decade ago, but it's getting low. I wouldn't have thought there'd be any extra ingredients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
My KAL stevia is from a vendor on Amazon and, according to the label, it contains no maltodextrin. I will be calling them before ordering again to make sure they still have the pure stevia. I won't purchase any containing maltodextrin & I will make that very clear.

I found a lot of outraged reviews by KAL customers on amazon regarding the added, but unmentioned, ingredient.

I do not really care for the KAL organic stevia so I will be looking for other brands of pure stevia if that becomes KAL's only option.
What is it that you don't like about the organic stevia? How is it different from the regular powder stevia extract that makes it not a good choice for you? If you don't mind sharing.
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #52
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
What is it that you don't like about the organic stevia? How is it different from the regular powder stevia extract that makes it not a good choice for you? If you don't mind sharing.
I don't care for the taste of it.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
I love Splenda and Stevia!
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #54
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
One thing about stevia. It's part of the ragweed family, so if you have seasonal allergies, it may be a problem.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

I just bought splenda --- I LOVE IT!

I have been trying to love stevia off and on for years, but splenda? Totally yum to me. Yay!
Old 04-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 170.4/170.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: July 16, 2014
I was using the liquid Stevia from Trader Joe's for months before I decided that it might have been the reason my hands were numb, it had never happened before
I started using the stevia. The numbness went away about two days after I stopped using the stevia.

I now use Sweet N Low after going through pretty much every packet or liquid known to man, it is the only one that tastes good to me w/o any side effects.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:09 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seaofsand
Stats: 236/215/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: April 2014
I have a big bag of Stevia in the Raw that I've been using for a couple of months now in my coffee and tea. I also drink Zevia soda. Yes, the aftertaste takes some getting used to, but I enjoy it now. At first it was very bitter to me, but now I don't notice it. I guess your taste buds adjust.

I use Splenda/sucralose if I'm out to eat and I have the choice. For me, it's the best tasting of all the sweeteners.
seaofsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #58
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
My favorite sweetener for drink adds is Sweet N Low. For baking, it's a 50/50 mix of xylitol and Splenda (powder). For adding to hot drinks, it's EZ-Sweetz. For sodas, it's aspartame. It really depends on the need for me. I will say I don't like stevia. I am a super taster and it just doesn't do it for me.

Really, if you like it and it's not affecting you negatively, do what works for you.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 AM   #59
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2001
I use Splenda for baking, and Stevia for things like my morning coffee, FAGE yogurt, and to sweeten my iced tea.
SugarFreeSheila is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:36 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: giggles4me
Stats: 160/133/125
WOE: my way! low carb & low cal
Start Date: 2/15/2014
I don't really use any sugar or artificial sweeteners. I have honey in the house but that's about it. I make honey butter for my OMM. But I also don't bake much any more. Oh and any of the artificial sweeteners I have tried give me real bad headaches...
giggles4me is offline   Reply With Quote