Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   HEART ATTACK?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/826276-heart-attack.html)

Sassay 03-21-2014 05:12 AM

HEART ATTACK??

Hello Everyone...does anyone have heart disease or had a heart attack and have started or continued to do Low Carb?

Jrw85705 03-21-2014 08:06 AM

I’m a little reluctant to respond because I don’t’ want what I say to be misconstrued as advise. We are all so different and my experience with low carb and my cardiac condition might not be the same as someone else’s experience. So with that disclaimer here is what has happened to me.

• In 1998 I had a heart attack and needed a stent, age 48.
• In 2000 I had quadruple bypass.
• In 2001 one of my bypasses collapsed.
• Between 2001 and 2006 4 more angioplasties.
• In 2007 I needed another stent.

Now heart disease runs in my family so none of this was a surprise. When I started low carb I was taking daily 4 long term Nitro pills, because of constant angina. I was never able to walk or exercise more than 10 minutes and my yearly treadmill stress test had to be administered chemically because I couldn’t last long enough on the treadmill to get an accurate test result.

Fast-forward to today after being on low carb, moderate protein and moderate fat for just over 3 years and here is where I stand, at the age of 64.

• I have lost 60 pounds and have maintained it for over two years.
• I no longer take any Nitro pills and very infrequently have any angina.
• I walk, at a moderate pace, 1.5 miles a day on the treadmill.
• I work out almost daily with light weights.
• And for the first time in years I was able to do a stress treadmill from beginning to end, though I thought I might die by the end.

I follow Dr. Bernstein’s method, of low carb, because the main reason I started low carb was for diabetes control and I figured anything else that might improve was an extra benefit. For my entire adult life my cholesterol test have been excellent and have remained so while being low carb.

I have a terrific cardiologist who has been very supportive of my decisions. The only thing he asked of me was to get blood work done every three months with my normal visits. About a year and a half in he did ask me for a copy of my daily menu so he could show it to his father.

Having a heart condition, diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis has made this, at times, very challenging so I found that I had to make it a black or white way of life. But then again there is nothing more black or white than dying .

• There are no days off.
• There are no cheats.
• I must weigh everyday.
• I must test my blood glucose levels at least twice a day.
• I must make sure I have the right foods at home.
• I must make the right choices when we go out.

I have shared more than I ever have before but this is very important to me and if it can help even one other person than it is worth it. But whatever you decide to do please work with your cardiologist.

Annabel Lee 03-21-2014 08:13 AM

Jrw85705 Wow!!!!!!:goodpost:
What an inspiration!!!!!!
Congratulations!!!!
Your hard work has really paid off!
:shake:

snowmop 03-21-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annabel Lee (Post 16845101)
Congratulations!!!!

Ditto!!! Wow!!

Jebber 03-21-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrw85705 (Post 16845091)
I’m a little reluctant to respond because I don’t’ want what I say to be misconstrued as advise. We are all so different and my experience with low carb and my cardiac condition might not be the same as someone else’s experience. So with that disclaimer here is what has happened to me.

Now heart disease runs in my family so none of this was a surprise. When I started low carb I was taking daily 4 long term Nitro pills, because of constant angina. I was never able to walk or exercise more than 10 minutes and my yearly treadmill stress test had to be administered chemically because I couldn’t last long enough on the treadmill to get an accurate test result.

Fast-forward to today after being on low carb, moderate protein and moderate fat for just over 3 years and here is where I stand, at the age of 64.

• And for the first time in years I was able to do a stress treadmill from beginning to end, though I thought I might die by the end.

I follow Dr. Bernstein’s method, of low carb, because the main reason I started low carb was for diabetes control and I figured anything else that might improve was an extra benefit. For my entire adult life my cholesterol test have been excellent and have remained so while being low carb.

I have a terrific cardiologist who has been very supportive of my decisions. The only thing he asked of me was to get blood work done every three months with my normal visits. About a year and a half in he did ask me for a copy of my daily menu so he could show it to his father.

Having a heart condition, diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis has made this, at times, very challenging so I found that I had to make it a black or white way of life. But then again there is nothing more black or white than dying .

• There are no days off.
• There are no cheats.
• I must weigh everyday.

I have shared more than I ever have before but this is very important to me and if it can help even one other person than it is worth it. But whatever you decide to do please work with your cardiologist.

:goodpost::goodpost: Amazing story. Thanks for sharing.

grneyedldy 03-21-2014 10:53 AM

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing story. There is no doubt in my mind that your story has and will help others. Truly inspirational. :heart:

Dottie 03-21-2014 10:59 AM

Ralph, everyone should print that out and show it to their doctors :)

Spanilingo 03-21-2014 03:07 PM

You have RA? Tell me about LC and RA. A very dear friend has been on every trial for every med for the past 15 yrs and has never been told anything about diet other than low sodium. What has been your experience ?

dgidaho 03-21-2014 07:22 PM

What an awesome and inspiring story! It says much about your determination and mental toughness. Congratulations on your improved health. You deserve it!

Redeemed 03-21-2014 07:27 PM

Very encouraging. Thank you for sharing.

Kaarren 03-21-2014 07:28 PM

Ralph - what a way to turn your life around - good job!

avid 03-22-2014 07:01 AM

Thank you so much for sharing your story. My dad died from heart attack at age 48 and I have multiple risk factors. Protecting my heart was one of the main reasons I switched to LC. I don't monitor as closely as you do, but I'm pretty on top of my health and fitness. Kudo's to you for taking charge of your health.

DiamondDeb 03-22-2014 07:05 AM

What a wonderful success story, Ralph! Thanks for sharing it.

Sassay, eating a low carb diet does not cause or make heart disease worse. Quite the opposite. Many, many people eat this way to improve their heart health.

Janknitz 03-22-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

You have RA? Tell me about LC and RA. A very dear friend has been on every trial for every med for the past 15 yrs and has never been told anything about diet other than low sodium. What has been your experience ?
Please tell your friend about Mark Sisson's book, the Primal Blueprint. His blog contains stories of people who have had dramatic improvement with a Primal diet--particularly eliminating grains. The theory is that compounds in modern grains cause "leaky gut syndrome". The cells that line our gut should be close together and tight, but some substances in grains loosen the junctures between these cells so that the food traveling through our gut escapes past the barrier. The proteins in this food are attacked by our own antibodies, but because the food proteins are often very close to our own bodies' proteins it can make the antibodies attack our own body as well. In the case of RA, the body's own antibody's attack the joints.

Some people have had truly amazing turnarounds by eliminating grain from their diets. Note that it is not just gluten free, but grain free and generally low carb, paleo that helps. (People who are gluten free may still eat a lot of starchy and sugary substitutes).

Since it's hard to keep eating grains on a low carb diet, that's one of many reasons for the success against RA some people have on low carb.

Jrw85705 03-23-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanilingo (Post 16845586)

It is difficult for me to know how eating a low carb diet has directly affected the RA. I can say for sure it has not had an adverse effect. I have been on biologics (Remicade, Enbrel and Humira) for about 14 years and they have helped keep the disease in check. They don’t eliminate all of the symptoms such as fatigue and soreness but they do keep the swelling and joint damage under control. These drugs have been a life saver for me but I know not everyone will have the same result.

It goes without saying that not carrying around an extra 60 pounds has help my joints and I am sure there is a direct cause and effect of the consumption of grains, especially wheat, to inflammation to those of us with any autoimmune disease. Do I still suffer from RA? Yes. But I think it would be worse if I hadn’t started a low carb-grain free way of eating.

Sunshine 57 03-23-2014 10:18 AM

I'm having congestive heart failure.Had lab,Low hemoglobin may be causing this.Was diagnosed with CHF 20 yrs ago,I am 57.Lost 170 lbs on low carb and kept off over 10 yrs.Then in 2010 diagnosed with type 2 diabetes,I gained a lot back.Now Dr thinks I'm losing blood and wants a colonoscopy.have anemia and dehydration too.Dr says no to Atkins at this time,wants me on lots of veg+ fruit.I've always done Atkins healthy way,salads and veg,but will will follow his advice now.I lost 35 lbs since 11-2013.Started insulin Feb,14 and weight loss stopped.Have AIC of 14.Dr didn't expect me to live thru Christmas,I'm leaving it up to God.Thank's for listening,Sunshine

paid4c4 03-23-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrw85705 (Post 16845091)

• There are no days off.
• There are no cheats.
• I must weigh everyday.

Thank you sharing, it will serve notice to those of us who need to read and heed. I am 64 and trying to avoid some of the problems you've shared. I'm down 40 pounds and no longer needing metformin. I am going for a physical soon. Thanks for good advice.
Bill

grneyedldy 03-23-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunshine 57 (Post 16847517)
I'm having congestive heart failure.Had lab,Low hemoglobin may be causing this.Was diagnosed with CHF 20 yrs ago,I am 57.Lost 170 lbs on low carb and kept off over 10 yrs.Then in 2010 diagnosed with type 2 diabetes,I gained a lot back.Now Dr thinks I'm losing blood and wants a colonoscopy.have anemia and dehydration too.Dr says no to Atkins at this time,wants me on lots of veg+ fruit.I've always done Atkins healthy way,salads and veg,but will will follow his advice now.I lost 35 lbs since 11-2013.Started insulin Feb,14 and weight loss stopped.Have AIC of 14.Dr didn't expect me to live thru Christmas,I'm leaving it up to God.Thank's for listening,Sunshine

Please take care of yourself. Wishing you the best. :hugs: :heart:

RoxyRoller 03-23-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annabel Lee (Post 16845101)
Congratulations!!!!

Incredible!

fun w son 03-24-2014 07:35 AM

heart disease runs in my family also.
dad died at 49
grandpa died at 42
uncle at 50
aunt at 53
I had a stint put in at 40 (1- 70% blockage found). I am 44 now and I have a treadmill test and blood work every year. so far all good.
i have been getting checked since i was 30 yrs old. the only thing that they have told me was to get down below 200lbs.