Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs.T
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 10, 2014
What is wrong with my face!

Ok, hope someone can help me figure this out! I have always had very clear skin. On or about the third day of eating induction level carbs i started developing a red bumpy rash on my face. Not like acne or pimples but more like rosacea, and my face feels rough to the touch. It seems to be getting a little worse everyday. The only explanation i can think of is that I quit a 12 pk a day diet mt. Dew habit and starting drinking only water. Could the water be flushing toxins out of my body and causing my face to break out? Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a cream or something I could put on? It isnt painful or itchy but it looks like i have a sunburn. Any help is greatly appreciated
Mrs.T is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
It could be the toxins coming out.
Have you added any new foods that you might be sensitive to?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
If this has never happened to you before, I'd say your explanation makes sense, but what do I know? However, I would say that a 12 pk a day Mountain Dew Habit suddenly cut off was going to show up somewhere. You didn't say Diet Mountain Dew, so am I correct that you were drinking 12 cans of regular Mountain Dew? If so, holy moly, that's A LOT of sugar…and calories. No judgement, just yeah, that's something to be reckoned with if you cut it off.

And even if it was diet Mountain Dew, that's still a lot of something else, like all the stuff they put in diet drinks, and again, cutting it off will result in some symptoms. But still, I think it's a VERY GOOD THING, you've done that.

I would say that if it continues, it wouldn't hurt to see a dermatologist, just in case something new and unrelated is the problem. But my guess is that this is very related to the changes your body is going through.

Hang in there, you're making good decisions.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 211/196.6/150
Start Date: 12/08/14
Its too coincidental for it to NOT be toxin-related.

Sometimes, when I quit dairy, sugar, alcohol, bread or a combination, I get a very distinctive sore throat on day 2-3. I've come to realize what it is: there's no fever, just the sore throat.

I don't think the medical community believes in "release of toxins," but the thing is, why do we feel SO sick when we quit, then? Its just too noticeable!!

I am recently going Paleo after eating a ton of dairy, some intermittent grains/carbs, and splenda. My muscles ache, I feel very tired, and my sleep is wonky. My body definitely feels it. I'm at the end of day 2 right now, day 2-3 is always the hardest. Its very worth it, though!
moonmirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Keep drinking your water!! How about a facial mask?? A gentle one.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 41 pounds down (with LC IF), 102 more to lose.
Start Date: March 16th 2014 reset:12/1/14
I'd put some coconut oil on it - not a facial mask IMHO.
Congrats on quitting the soda habit - don't give up...but I would go see a Dr if it stays a few more days.
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tcalhoun72
Stats: 300/205/140 5'4"- Age 39
Start Date: 1/15/2011
Candida?
tcalhoun72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
Coconut oil, it's AMAZING for the skin and has anti-bacterial properties. It sounds like it sure could be the toxins flushing out of your system!
ladyboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs.T
Start Date: March 10, 2014
It was diet mt. Dew. Terrible, I know. I hated even typing that out. Thank you for all the suggestions and advice. The only new thing I have added to my diet would be a tbsp of coconut oil per day. I havent tried putting it on my face but I'll try that tonight. Havent considered candida, I'll have to do some research on that. I know that the past ten days have been hell for me. I have been bone tired, no motivation to do anthing. Today is the first day I have felt clear headed and energetic. Hopefully its all up from here
Mrs.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: e&m'smom
Stats: 255/196/170? 5'10"
WOE: LC/MF
Start Date: 2/2/2014
Congratulations of giving up your Diet Mt. Dew habit - I can truly empathize with you because I only drank Diet Coke during the day - never water! Please continue with your induction - I now you probably feel like crap, but it will get much better. You'll have a ton of energy, your body will feel good, you won't have tired spells after eating and your head won't be foggy anymore. Congratulations on taking this first step to better health.
e&m'smom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:10 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
I have the same thing, and I'm trying to figure out if it's some kind of "flush" due to a new multi-vitamin I'm taking, which has happened to me before. I forget which mineral can cause it...

I will say that since I started this WOE three weeks ago, my skin has looked pretty rough...especially the dark circles and bags under my eyes. But I'm using a new eye cream that I hope will help. At this point it's worth it if I'm losing weight.

Oh and Mrs T-congrats on giving up the soda. I'm sure your body is in rebellion right now! Stay the course and keep drinking lots of water....it may take some time. Good luck!
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #12
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I have never, ever experienced any 'release of toxins' as has often been reported on this board. But if I experienced the type of rash you are describing, I'd see my dermatologist.

I have had mild rashes on my neck and chest, but they were always allergic reactions to new meds or supplements I was taking.

Last edited by Leo41; 03-21-2014 at 12:01 PM..
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 41 pounds down (with LC IF), 102 more to lose.
Start Date: March 16th 2014 reset:12/1/14
Earthcrosser - Niacinmide causes flush..

I am SO glad someone mentioned the tiredness after eating. I have had it BAD.
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof7 View Post
Earthcrosser - Niacinmide causes flush..

I am SO glad someone mentioned the tiredness after eating. I have had it BAD.
That's it! thanks Partyof7!
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyvanessa
Stats: 240/198/150
WOE: just low carb/semi-atkins
Start Date: March 15, 2012
Hi, that's so funny because I had the exact same reaction!! My skin was very rough and I've always had soft skin. It will go away in few weeks...i've been lchf for past 5 weeks and now i'm back to normal skin on my face. It was really weird. I think it was toxins or something but I'm fine now and I did use coconut oil every day and put aquaphor on too. Hope this helps!!
ladyvanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: werkn'it
Stats: 187/126/125
WOE: Atkins'ish
Start Date: 8/13 (this time around)
I cut away from aspartame (Diet Mtn Dew!) and had the worse symptoms for about three weeks. I wasn't expecting it and it took me a week to figure out what was going on. I was grumpy and achy. I didn't have any rash though. Hope yours goes away soon - let us know!
werkn'it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GoBahnsen
Stats: Have lost 42 lbs since Nov.19, 2013
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 188 as of March 5, 2014 6'2"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
If this has never happened to you before, I'd say your explanation makes sense, but what do I know? However, I would say that a 12 pk a day Mountain Dew Habit suddenly cut off was going to show up somewhere. You didn't say Diet Mountain Dew, so am I correct that you were drinking 12 cans of regular Mountain Dew? If so, holy moly, that's A LOT of sugar…and calories. No judgement, just yeah, that's something to be reckoned with if you cut it off.

And even if it was diet Mountain Dew, that's still a lot of something else, like all the stuff they put in diet drinks, and again, cutting it off will result in some symptoms. But still, I think it's a VERY GOOD THING, you've done that.

I would say that if it continues, it wouldn't hurt to see a dermatologist, just in case something new and unrelated is the problem. But my guess is that this is very related to the changes your body is going through.

Hang in there, you're making good decisions.
I agree Blue. And I tried some diet soda to replace my Lite beers a couple of months ago, but they irritated some internal organ. Too toxic.
GoBahnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Any sudden and massive change in diet can trigger all sorts of unintended reactions. I wouldn't be too alarmed at first. Give it a week or so, if it doesn't go away then I would get checked out.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Diet Mt. Dew also has caffeine. So I would think you are also feeling the effects of not having all that caffeine. Don't know if the caffeine makes a difference skin wise, but giving up 12 cans a day (54 mg/can) would have to make a difference to your body.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
Any sudden and massive change in diet can trigger all sorts of unintended reactions. I wouldn't be too alarmed at first. Give it a week or so, if it doesn't go away then I would get checked out.
Hey Avid!! Good to see you again. Hope all is well with you!
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GoBahnsen
Stats: Have lost 42 lbs since Nov.19, 2013
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 188 as of March 5, 2014 6'2"
Quote:
Originally Posted by e&m'smom View Post
Congratulations of giving up your Diet Mt. Dew habit - I can truly empathize with you because I only drank Diet Coke during the day - never water! Please continue with your induction - I now you probably feel like crap, but it will get much better. You'll have a ton of energy, your body will feel good, you won't have tired spells after eating and your head won't be foggy anymore. Congratulations on taking this first step to better health.
GoBahnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
As others have agreed, I think it is just your body flushing out all the bad.
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote