Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Sudden blood sugar crashes--hormone related? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/826253-sudden-blood-sugar-crashes-hormone-related.html)

ILiveInFlipFlops 03-20-2014 11:16 AM

Sudden blood sugar crashes--hormone related?

Hey all.

This is my fourth week eating LCHF (not quite NK, but staying under 50 carbs per day), and I haven't been having any problems with blood sugar crashes until last night, when I got hit hard around dinnertime. I ate plenty of dinner (salad with chicken, cheese, avocado, olive oil) and went to bed feeling good, but woke up this morning shaking and jittery. Breakfast (fried eggs) got rid of that one, but it wasn't long before it was back with a vengeance. I haven't experienced anything like this in a month, even after working out.

So I'm wondering if this could be hormone-related. Yesterday was the first day of my period, and today is the intense day (sorry if that's TMI!). Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be aware of this happening each month?

Thanks!

ravenrose 03-20-2014 03:14 PM

since insulin is a hormone, low blood sugar is by definition hormonal, but I guess you mean related to estrogen and progesterone?

You didn't mention how low it got these times. If you are just thinking it was low and didn't measure it, I would guess it probably wasn't low blood sugar bothering you.

it is very tricky to assume you know when you have low blood sugars. without testing it, we are wrong a good deal of the time. even after years of experience with it, I am often surprised when I check my blood sugar that it's either much lower than I thought with no symptoms, or NOT low at all when the symptoms are there.

good luck!

ILiveInFlipFlops 03-20-2014 04:15 PM

Oh yes, good point, I did mean estrogen/progesterone-related. I don't test my blood sugars, but it was basically the same feeling I would get when I waited too long to eat or didn't eat enough--the jelly legs, shaking hands, numb face, foggy brain, all of which goes away after I eat something.

I'm also experiencing the worst PMS-anger that I've felt in years. I'm lucky I haven't taken anyone's head off! I was really looking forward to the whole thing being easier, which is what usually happens when I cut back on carbs, but whoa! Don't cross my path today :mad:

This is kind of a bummer. I didn't expect to feel this miserable. I really hope it improves by tomorrow, when I have to teach and deal with other people's kids as well as host a gigantic slumber party overnight. Eeek!

clackley 03-20-2014 04:47 PM

You may need to lower your carbs further.

Yvonnem2000 03-20-2014 10:10 PM

My blood sugar definitely feels less stable during TOM. I was doing an intermittent fasting plan, and found it almost impossible to fast the first two days. Take care of yourself! Good luck with the slumber party.

leeloo 03-21-2014 09:13 AM

How old are you? If you're old enough to be in perimenopause, you might be having hot flashes.

When I first started getting them, it felt so much like a low blood sugar episode that I thought that's what it was. I get them mostly in the evening or at night, and mostly during the week or two leading up to my period.

ILiveInFlipFlops 03-22-2014 06:07 AM

Thanks again, everyone. The low blood sugar feelings, my emotions, and crazy cravings did stabilize by the next morning, and I've felt fine since. My mom gave me a blood sugar meter, so it will be interesting to keep an eye on those. Those were a very surprising two days, that's for sure. I'll have to be prepared for next month's ride in case this is going to be a regular thing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeloo (Post 16845208)
How old are you? If you're old enough to be in perimenopause, you might be having hot flashes.

When I first started getting them, it felt so much like a low blood sugar episode that I thought that's what it was. I get them mostly in the evening or at night, and mostly during the week or two leading up to my period.

I'm not quite old enough yet (39), but this is very good information to have in general, thanks!

clackley 03-22-2014 06:26 AM

Most people cannot feel low blood sugar unless it is dangerously low and the same is so for high blood sugar. That is the point of the meters.

If you are experiencing blood sugars low enough to have actual symptoms, I would not allow that to go on without seeing a doctor right away.

leeloo 03-22-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILiveInFlipFlops (Post 16846112)
T

I'm not quite old enough yet (39), but this is very good information to have in general, thanks!

39 can be old enough! :lol:

Glad you're feeling better.