Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   low carb & seasonal allergies? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/826237-low-carb-seasonal-allergies.html)

TowerOrchard 03-20-2014 07:49 AM

low carb & seasonal allergies?

For over a decade now, I have really had a hard time with allergies in the spring. I just saw a news report this morning that allergy season has officially started in my area.

So, I am wondering... I know that wheat consumption leads to inflammation, and that allergies cause inflammation as well. Obviously, these are in different parts of the body, but I am wondering (hoping!!!) that a wheat-free diet might lessen or even stop allergy symptoms - some kind of interaction effect.

I am going to make some n=1 observations over the next few months for myself, but I was wondering if anyone else has any personal experience with how a low carb woe affects seasonal allergies?

painted_klown 03-20-2014 07:53 AM

I have found that eating low carb seems to have little effect on my allergies. I think I may havd a bit of a nut allergy, as I love almonds and sunflower nuts.

Some days I can eat these and be 100% ok, and on other days, I will eat them and feel a bit "sick" or something after eating them. It's weird, and I am not sure why I am fine some days, but not on others.

My guess is that whatever allergens are in the air that day may be affecting me more?

Sorry, I cannot be of more assistance. Hopefully somone with some good info will chime in. :)

Annabel Lee 03-20-2014 07:56 AM

Wish I could say it has helped me, but really it has not.
Still suffering with seasonal allergies.
But cutting wheat out of my diet really put a stop to snoring!
I am thinking that it may be do to the reduction of inflammation!
I do think I can handle the allergies better now that I do not eat grains.
:)

sbarr 03-20-2014 07:58 AM

Good topic - I don't have allergies, but I look forward to posters' experiences that I can research further and share anecdotally. I never push low carb eating, but it's fun to have anecdotal information for topics of interest during a conversation, within context.

"Interestingly, enough, I just read...."
"Have you heard...."

Aomiel 03-20-2014 10:33 AM

I've never really had what I would consider 'allergies' but did have asthma and noticed from fall through spring, I had a lot of stuffed up sinuses. I've not used an inhaler or had a stuffy nose in the last year. I'm betting it's related to a wheat sensitivity.

Trigger828 03-20-2014 12:12 PM

lc hasn't helped my allergies at all. sinus/allergy etc. is a huge problem wtih me and things are blooming all around my area. I am a dead gal :) I live on drugs now! allergy/sinus is miserable to the max for me. live thru it all best I can. I am 3 season. only dead of winter do I get some relief.

will be interesting to see what results you get.

BSR3 03-20-2014 05:08 PM

I experienced both fall and spring allergies all my life. Ever since I started low carb, no allergies. I remember my mom calling me about 4 months after I started and asked if I was dying. I said no, why? She was and her allergies weren't ever as bad as mine. What a nice surprise! I will sneeze and have sinus headaches every so often, but that is it! This is one of many reasons why I don't have any plans to ever stop eating this way.

TowerOrchard 03-21-2014 12:06 PM

BSR3, you have given me hope!!! I am symptom free so far and I know other people that are starting to have symptoms. Fingers crossed that this ends up being yet another health benefit for me!

solarpluvia 03-21-2014 02:00 PM

I still have seasonal allergies. But after I stopped eating wheat, as well as being low carb, I stopped getting sinus infections from the allergies or from colds. Well worth it.

lterry913 03-24-2014 08:31 AM

I can't say it has helped with allergies but it has helped with the colds etc I would get 4 times a year around the change of seasons, which I assumed were allergy related...I hardly ever get sick any more and haven't used an inhaler in 3 years.

backseatadventurer 03-24-2014 05:32 PM

I'm in Australia, so the allergens here are a bit different but my sinuses have vastly improved since I've gone LCHF. For me this means no grains of any kind and that is the key for me. Previously I've tried just avoiding wheat but all grains seem to do me in.

To get a picture of my issues, I was almost always on anti-histamines and decongestants because I was constantly stuffy and would regularly get sinus infections. I also had several types of nose spray and a few inhalers that I would have to take when things were really bad. It was a struggle just to keep things approximating normal.

After around a week into LCHF, my stuffy, clogged head magically cleared. I didn't need to take my usual meds and I haven't had any infections. So far, I've passed the grass season and the mold season with little irritation and no need for meds. We will see how things go once the fire season kicks in here.

Will this be your reaction? I have no idea but I hope it goes well for you.

Mimosa23 03-25-2014 07:51 AM

For years I thought I had hayfever, and it turned out to be a wheat allergy! Since I have cut out all grains my allergy symptoms have gone too.

Quite a few friends, colleagues and family members are already sniffling around with itchy eyes, and I've felt just fine. For me, cutting the grains was the solution, but that's because my inflammation was really caused by wheat.