Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Silly question I guess, but why is this happening? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/826234-silly-question-i-guess-but-why-happening.html)

Reddress 03-20-2014 06:44 AM

Silly question I guess, but why is this happening?

Forgive my naiveté, this is the first time I have ever seriously tried to lose weight by controlling my food. In the past, if I had noticed this I would have just said "need to exercise more!" but I'm not sure how to remedy this. Or if it is even something I need to remedy, maybe it is normal?

So on my two weeks atkins induction, I immediately started losing weight. I know some of it was water weight, but I consistently saw my scale going down, even if it was just .5 a lb some days. I even had a surgery in there, and had to eat sugar and carbs at the hospital. Still, I lost just about 13 lbs in 2 weeks. That took me to Monday, and a weigh in of 208.8. Then Tuesday it was 209.8. And the same yesterday. Today it is 209.4. What would cause this jump and stall? I am still eating atkins induction, staying under or on one day just over 20g of carbs (No different than my first two weeks, although then I had many days that were closer to 25 carbs)

On Monday I did eat 1/4 cup cottage cheese which was different from the first two weeks, and on Tuesday I had a OMM, which was also different. Does this mean I can't eat those foods? Or maybe I need even less carbs? I had a slight decrease today, and yesterday I only ate 2 meals and one snack and had a total of 14 carbs. would that be why the scale finally moved? I also went for a 30 minutes walk both Mon and Tuesday, and not yesterday. Will exercise make me gain? I thought it would be good.

I know, I am obsessing way too much over this, but I am home off work after my surgery and really have nothing else to do, lol. I NEED this to work, and I will not fail at it. Does anyone have any advice as to what is happening here and what I need to do to see that scale moving again?

Also, another question, I have been losing weight, but my pants are tighter than ever in the waist. I know I can lose all over, but I shouldn't be losing some places and gaining in my waist, should I?

emily1 03-20-2014 07:01 AM

Well thats a very difficult question to answer. When did you have your surgery? Sometimes if I have eaten foods higher in carb, the next day i will lose weight and then sometimes the day after that as well....then all of a sudden I gain a couple of pounds that is extremely difficult to lose. As far as exercise, I gain weight after I do cardio. I used to go to the gym everyday and run for an hour and not lose any weight. So I stopped pushing myself so hard and started losing. However, I have just started doing weight lifting only and have lost weight at twice the rate I normally do from lifting.
I think if you just keep it simple, eat very low carb, higher in fat, the weight will come off.
Regarding your last questions, I havent ever had the experience where I have gained weight in some areas and lost weight in other areas. Maybe it is a certain type of food you are eating? Maybe you can post your full week menu so we can have a look and see what you are eating.

theredhead 03-20-2014 07:04 AM

It is very common for weight loss to slow down, or even stall, around the third week. You really don't need to let it get you crazy. Keep doing what you're doing, and the weight will come off. Anything worth doing requires patience, and changing your lifestyle is no different. The alternative is definitely not better in the long run.

Keep up the good work. You can DO THIS!

palegirl 03-20-2014 07:18 AM

You need to take a much longer view of things, you can not go by daily weight ins, you are making yourself crazy. Plot your weights on a chart or an app and make sure its trending down over weeks, not days. Think about it: your weight will be different before and after going to the bathroom--this way madness lies. That doesn't reflect body fat, which is what you really care about, right?

Your weight loss will never again be as fast as it was in the first two weeks. Most of that was "water weight" which is fine, keep in mind that if you eat something higher carb you might retain that water again. This will effect your daily weigh-ins.

Exercise is good for you even if it doesn't accelerate weight loss.

Reddress 03-20-2014 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palegirl (Post 16843711)
You need to take a much longer view of things, you can not go by daily weight ins, you are making yourself crazy. Plot your weights on a chart or an app and make sure its trending down over weeks, not days. Think about it: your weight will be different before and after going to the bathroom--this way madness lies. That doesn't reflect body fat, which is what you really care about, right?

Your weight loss will never again be as fast as it was in the first two weeks. Most of that was "water weight" which is fine, keep in mind that if you eat something higher carb you might retain that water again. This will effect your daily weigh-ins.

Exercise is good for you even if it doesn't accelerate weight loss.

So then,what is the point of staying on induction, if you won't lose weight quickly on it after two weeks?

Reddress 03-20-2014 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emily1 (Post 16843686)
Well thats a very difficult question to answer. When did you have your surgery? Sometimes if I have eaten foods higher in carb, the next day i will lose weight and then sometimes the day after that as well....then all of a sudden I gain a couple of pounds that is extremely difficult to lose. As far as exercise, I gain weight after I do cardio. I used to go to the gym everyday and run for an hour and not lose any weight. So I stopped pushing myself so hard and started losing. However, I have just started doing weight lifting only and have lost weight at twice the rate I normally do from lifting.
I think if you just keep it simple, eat very low carb, higher in fat, the weight will come off.
Regarding your last questions, I havent ever had the experience where I have gained weight in some areas and lost weight in other areas. Maybe it is a certain type of food you are eating? Maybe you can post your full week menu so we can have a look and see what you are eating.

My surgery was last Wednesday, so about a week ago.

Here is my last week's meals:

19: B - three eggs scrambled with 1/4 cup mushrooms, 1/4 cup shredded cheddar, 6 pieces of bacon. (yes, I splurged) Tea with LWC
D: "flank steak salad" (restaurant) - approx 3 cups romaine, 1/2 cup sauteed mushrooms, 1/4 cup crumbled feta, 4 oz flank steak no dressing
S: 1 oz cheddar, 8 pieces "all ham" sausage (no added fillers or sugar, so 0 carbs, each piece is about the size of 3 stacked quarters) Tea with LWC

18: B - 3 devilled eggs (2 tbls mayo), avocado and tomato salad (1/2 avacado, 1 roma tomato) Tea with LWC
L: 1 cup zucchini, .3 cup mushrooms, .2 cup red peppers, 1 chicken breast, all sauteed in 2 tbls olive oil
S: Cheese string, tea with LWC, 5 olives
D: 1/4 cup cottage cheese, 2 cup field greens, 2 radishes 2 tbls ranch dressing, 8 pieces all ham "sausage"
S: OMM (yes, this put me over for the day, but I HAD to try it, lol)

17: 3 egg whites, 1 egg yolk, 1/4 cup spinach, 1/4 cup mushrooms, 1/4 cup grated cheese 1 tbls LWC, tea with LWC
S: 1 0z almonds
L: 3 cups field greens, 1 chicken breast, 1 radish, 1/4 shredded cheese, 2 tbls ranch dressing
S: Tea with LWC, ham sausage, 1 0z cheddar
D: Cod fillet, 1.5 cup cauliflower florets with butter
S: tomato and avocado salad

16:B: same as 17th
L: 2 chicken breast slices, 1 ozcheese, 1 pickle, 2 tbs cream cheese 1/2 cup zucchini, 1/4 cup mushrooms sauteed with 1tbs olive oil
S: cheese string
D: cauliflower mash 1 cup, 4 asparagus spears, 4 small chicken drumsticks (broiled)
S: 1 pickle, 8 ham sausage slices, 1 oz cheese. 2 mushrooms, 1 tbls cream cheese

15: B Same as 17th, plus 2 slices bacon
L: cheesestring, turkey pepperette (1 carb), 1 small cucumber w/o skin sliced, 2 tbls cream cheese
S: turkey pepperette
D: ground beef (6 oz), cabbage 1.5 cup, butter 2tbls

14: B Same as 17th, no mushrooms
S: cheesestring
L: 2 radishes, 1 small cucumber no skin, tuna salad 3oz with 1tbls mayo, 5 olives
S: cheesetring
D: 10 traditional wings and greek salad starter from Pizza hut

13: B (In hospital) 1 cup oatmeal no sugar, black coffee,1/2 cup juice,1 cup ginger ale
L: Same as breakfast on the 17th
D: 4 oz ground beef, 1/2 cup chopped red pepper, 1/4sauteed onions, 4tlbs salsa (3g carb for 4 tbls), 2 tbls sour cream, 1 oz shredded cheese

12: In hospital. no breakfast or lunch.
D: 1 cup broth, 1 cup black tea, 1 cup jello

kay9 03-20-2014 08:11 AM

its a slow journey not a sprint. you did not gain it over night so you wont lose it over night either :)

Arctic_Mama 03-20-2014 08:39 AM

Your menu looks quite good overall. Nothing for it but time. It's taken me almost six years to lose my weight, for example, and that involved a lot of stalls, bouncing, maintenance months, and screwing up quite frequently. I basically failed off 130 pounds. But here I am, lighter than I've ever been, much healthier, and with a plan I love for life. Even at less than 1/4 lb loss averaged out over those years, I win.

You can, too.

The scale is outside of our control, all we can manage are the inputs and let the numbers take care of themselves. Put the scale away for 6-8 weeks and just focus on being perfectly on plan for the duration. If you haven't lost 6-10 pounds by the end of that time (provided you stay on plan) I'll eat my hat :)

ETA - one thing I did notice was lots of cheese. While dairy is permitted on induction, some find they lose much better if they limit the dairy and stick with oils and fats instead of cheese and heavy cream. I'd try limiting your cream to 2 tbs and your cheese to 1 oz per day, first, before cutting it out completely, and see if that doesn't jump start losses a bit. But truly I think time and a reality check is needed more than diet tweaks. This is a veeeery long process and we must maintain it in perpetuity to keep the weight gone. What's a few days or weeks given that we must manage ourselves for life?

Patience 03-20-2014 08:50 AM

The advantage of staying in induction for over two weeks is to my mind that of keeping a careful handle on carbs for a longer period. I think it's wise when moving out of induction to be prudent and systematic about what carbs to add. For me, I've added small amounts of high fat plain yogurt, tomatoes or peaches in the summer when they are really worth it in terms of flavour, small amounts of pumpkin seeds, etc. I continue to lose but at a slower rate. Most days, though, I stick to induction level carb consumption. I never really ditched caffeinated coffee, though. I did give up alcohol, though, basically long term and I believe that has helped my continued weight loss.

sbarr 03-20-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reddress (Post 16843720)
So then,what is the point of staying on induction, if you won't lose weight quickly on it after two weeks?

Very unlikely you will continue your rate of loss even eating at induction levels. You start with the water weight and the easily shed pounds and each subsequent pound may get harder because your body wants to hang onto it. Your body has just been put into shock by ripping away 13# and may be adapting.

Induction is good for resetting the body, resetting the mind and early successes. Some people continue with Induction beyond two weeks, some people move up the ladder (assuming following Atkins since you used the term Induction). It's a personal choice.

Reddress 03-20-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama (Post 16843829)
Your menu looks quite good overall. Nothing for it but time. It's taken me almost six years to lose my weight, for example, and that involved a lot of stalls, bouncing, maintenance months, and screwing up quite frequently. I basically failed off 130 pounds. But here I am, lighter than I've ever been, much healthier, and with a plan I love for life. Even at less than 1/4 lb loss averaged out over those years, I win.

You can, too.

The scale is outside of our control, all we can manage are the inputs and let the numbers take care of themselves. Put the scale away for 6-8 weeks and just focus on being perfectly on plan for the duration. If you haven't lost 6-10 pounds by the end of that time (provided you stay on plan) I'll eat my hat :)

ETA - one thing I did notice was lots of cheese. While dairy is permitted on induction, some find they lose much better if they limit the dairy and stick with oils and fats instead of cheese and heavy cream. I'd try limiting your cream to 2 tbs and your cheese to 1 oz per day, first, before cutting it out completely, and see if that doesn't jump start losses a bit. But truly I think time and a reality check is needed more than diet tweaks. This is a veeeery long process and we must maintain it in perpetuity to keep the weight gone. What's a few days or weeks given that we must manage ourselves for life?

So if I cut out dairy, where can I get my fat from? Especially the cream. It's the easiest way to add the fat I find. I honestly don't know where else to get it from? Drink straight olive oil, lol? And cheese, it's the one easy thing to add, like put it on my eggs, or to eat with some meat. What would take it's place?

painted_klown 03-20-2014 10:53 AM

I generally do induction rules, but oddly enough, I have found that my ketostix turn a darker shade of purple when I eat green veggies during the day. I am not sure why, but having plant based carbs seem to help me stay in ketosis.

I have found that for me, weight loss will stall after the first 2-3 weeks and the scale doesn't seem to move much (or at all) for about a month. Afther that, the slow and steady loss seems to come.

In my most recent attempt, I have done zero workouts, and still seem to be losing at about the same rate as I did when "killing myself" in the gym...weird. I am not complaining though. :)

snowangel9 03-20-2014 11:12 AM

I'd think that small a fluctuation, is just that, a fluctuation. Don't let the scale rule, it's a liar anyway! Just stick to your plan. As far as bloating, which is what the tight pants might mean, it could have been something you ate. Drinking more water might help. Also, you did just have surgery, let your body heal. Maybe you won't lose or it'll be slow, but I bet once you are healed up, things will pick up, if you stay on plan.

I like ArticMama's idea, put the scale away for a few weeks. See what happens. You can do this, don't get lost in the small stuff. It's the big picture that counts! :hugs:

Reddress 03-20-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowangel9 (Post 16844049)
I'd think that small a fluctuation, is just that, a fluctuation. Don't let the scale rule, it's a liar anyway! Just stick to your plan. As far as bloating, which is what the tight pants might mean, it could have been something you ate. Drinking more water might help. Also, you did just have surgery, let your body heal. Maybe you won't lose or it'll be slow, but I bet once you are healed up, things will pick up, if you stay on plan.

I like ArticMama's idea, put the scale away for a few weeks. See what happens. You can do this, don't get lost in the small stuff. It's the big picture that counts! :hugs:

I am afraid to put away the scale. Without it, how do I know f it is working? Where will I find my daily motivation to keep with this? I think if I wasn't seeing any results then it would be way too easy to cheat. Ie: my pants are tighter so why bother. Might as well enjoy a big bag of popcorn and a pop at the movies tonight.

Once I see a change in my shape, or a new size of clothes or even comments from other people, then I think it would be easier to put away the scale because I would have other positive results, Kwim?

snowangel9 03-20-2014 11:41 AM

Yes, actually I do know what you mean! :) What I found, is that it messes with my head. So I only weigh once a week, maybe. The fluctuations can drive you crazy. I get needing motivation, but don't let the scale control what you do. (speaking from experience here). I had done that exact thing for years! Oh, I went up, why bother and then go off plan. Which usually never lasted one meal or cheat. Then it was hell getting re-motivated and getting back on plan.

I wasted fifteen years, 'trying' to lose weight. How much time do you want to waste? Or do you want it bad enough to make it happen? You can do this, low carb is a healthier way to eat anyway. :hugs:

Reddress 03-20-2014 11:49 AM

Well if course I want this to happen! :) that's why I want to know the problem and fix it instead of putting my scale away and waiting a week or more. If things aren't working, that's a lot of time wasted where I could have been making changes.

dunginhawk 03-20-2014 11:50 AM

This happens every week to me. Ill weigh in Monday morning at 196.2 , Tuesday at 197.4, Wednesday at 197.1, Thursday at 195.2 and Friday at 194.2.
Its easy to jump around a couple here and there.

TowerOrchard 03-20-2014 11:55 AM

I do get wanting that positive feedback from the scale every day, but the fact is - you aren't going to see a consistent drop every single day. Sodium, carbs, hormones, medicine, exercise - all of these things (and dozens more) can effect what your scale says on any given day. And that's not just with low carb - ANY weight loss plan works that way.

I'm not trying to sound flippant, but you really only have two options here - continue to weigh everyday and find a way to be mentally okay with the fact that some days won't show the results you want, or weigh less frequently and enjoy a more consistent downward trend. Hope you figure out what works for you!

Reddress 03-20-2014 12:04 PM

You aren't flippant at all. Yeah, I don't know which option will work. For now I'll take the pp suggestion and cut out the dairy I guess. Although that now leaves me with a completely bland lunch of lettuce leaves and tuna, lol. Cheese was the one thing I enjoyed eating. And coffee/tea tastes gross black so I guess I'm done with that too.

emily1 03-20-2014 12:58 PM

I am a daily weigher as well. Except, thanks to the kind hearts on this website I no longer beat myself up when I gain a pound in a day. My scale constantly goes up and down. Sometimes it feels like i am on a roller coaster. But I know that the overall trend is down. Just stick with it and your body will catch up. Try not do get upset about a 1-5 pound difference on the scale, because trust me, you will lose. Your food journal looks great so I would try sticking with it and if you sense that one particular food may be making you stall a bit just try to reduce your intake. Cheese makes me stall which is really awful. I still eat cheese just not as much as I did when I started this journey. Other things like diet coke make me stall as well. We all lose differently, we are all sensitive to different types of foods.
You are already on your way to success as you have committed to a plan, have been tracking your progress, you are eating healthier and you are educating yourself on lowcarbfriends. Believe it or not, many people are unable to find the intrinsic motivation to change their diets for more than a day.

palegirl 03-20-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reddress (Post 16844140)
You aren't flippant at all. Yeah, I don't know which option will work. For now I'll take the pp suggestion and cut out the dairy I guess. Although that now leaves me with a completely bland lunch of lettuce leaves and tuna, lol. Cheese was the one thing I enjoyed eating. And coffee/tea tastes gross black so I guess I'm done with that too.

You might enjoy adding mayonnaise to things like lettuce and tuna.

grneyedldy 03-20-2014 01:03 PM

Your other option is let the process work and enjoy the food.

Your weight loss so far is excellent and the minor bump on the scale is normal. There is an article posted in the Main Lobby titled "Why the scale lies". You can do a search, it's a good read.

Atkins doesn't consider it a stall until 6 weeks of clean eating without pounds or inches lost.

Just continue as you have been and be patient. Good things come to those that wait. :)

Aimee 03-20-2014 01:04 PM

Omg you sound JUST like me and what I just went through!!! Even down to the weight! Good news! Today I saw my lowest number of 208.4 after ... count um.. 9 DAYS of staying at 209!!!! I just didn't give up and kept on keeping on... I'm eating 7-10 carbs a day and around 1300 calories or less and spending an hour in the gym a day. I KNEW I wasn't screwing up.
Just trust what you are doing is right and KEEP GOING STRONG! You will break through! Hang in there. I'm rooting for ya!

Reddress 03-20-2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palegirl (Post 16844203)
You might enjoy adding mayonnaise to things like lettuce and tuna.

I did put a tablespoon of mayo in my tuna. To just put it on my lettuce? I think that is too thick and heavy for my tastes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grneyedldy (Post 16844204)
Your other option is let the process work and enjoy the food.

Your weight loss so far is excellent and the minor bump on the scale is normal. There is an article posted in the Main Lobby titled "Why the scale lies". You can do a search, it's a good read.

Atkins doesn't consider it a stall until 6 weeks of clean eating without pounds or inches lost.

Just continue as you have been and be patient. Good things come to those that wait. :)

I will check out that article, thanks! I will admit I am a bit :eek: at the 6 weeks fact. I hope that never happens to me, I couldn't handle that and not give in/cheat. I'll be honest too, it is rare that I enjoy the food. I feel like I've given up everything I enjoyed, and luckily though, so far, I like the declining number on the scale more than the foods I miss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimee (Post 16844208)
Omg you sound JUST like me and what I just went through!!! Even down to the weight! Good news! Today I saw my lowest number of 208.4 after ... count um.. 9 DAYS of staying at 209!!!! I just didn't give up and kept on keeping on... I'm eating 7-10 carbs a day and around 1300 calories or less and spending an hour in the gym a day. I KNEW I wasn't screwing up.
Just trust what you are doing is right and KEEP GOING STRONG! You will break through! Hang in there. I'm rooting for ya!

Way to go on finally breaking through! I hope it doesn't take me 9 days, I would probably give up. Kudos to you for hanging in there!!

Reddress 03-20-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grneyedldy (Post 16844204)

I'll be honest, I'm not sure that helped. What I got from that, is it is very unlikely that I have lost any fat at all, just water. And all the questions at the end, what she says are measures of success "How do you look? How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? Are your rings looser? Do your muscles feel firmer? These are the true measurements of success."

Well. I look no different. I feel no different. My clothes fit worse. My rings have no difference. No change in muscles. So maybe I'm having no success with this at all if I can't even use the number on the scale as an indicator.

gabla13 03-20-2014 01:44 PM

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I think a major problem you are facing is your attitude. If you keep thinking of this diet in terms of what you can't have and if it isn't working as fast as you would like then why bother, it will never work. You have to accept that your body is not always going to give you the results you want when you want them. There are still plenty of options in terms of food choices you can have instead of just thinking "well I guess I'm done with that."

I think staying on induction past the first 2 weeks is a really wise thing to do, its actually how I go about my diet. However your body is just never going to respond the same way after those first 2 weeks.

I hope you stick with this diet and continue on the path. It will work if you give it time!

Mr_Geiri 03-20-2014 02:12 PM

You will not loose fat faster on any other diet so I really hope you won't give up just because you were hoping it would go faster.

Your body is simply designed not to loose too much fat too fast and there is nothing you can do about it. losing few pounds a month is something to be happy about rather than being pissed that you didn't loose more.

Also the scale often lies and it lies the most in the beginning of a low-carb diet. People can be stuck in the same number or even gain a little while still burning fat.

After the first couple of weeks a lot of people "stall" weight wise for few weeks or even few months while still burning fat.

To be honest I think short-term thinking (or short-term obsessing) is the main reason why people fail long-term. I have to agree with gable that you really need to change your attitude on this whole thing.

Anyway here is a good article on stalling... please read it:

Quote:

WHY THE SCALES CAN LIE!!!!

A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter: Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.

The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It's a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting.

However, if you give those fat cells some time, like 4-6 months, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show. The moral of the story - be patient! Your body is changing even if the number on the scale isn't.

PATTERNS OF WEIGHT LOSS

Common patterns of weight loss from tracking a lot of people who become assimilated into the low carb lifestyle, a pattern emerges.... the 2 week induction is pretty heady...weight lost just about every single day, enormous and unbelievable amounts of weight loss are reported. This is often followed by complaints that weight loss "stalls" or that the rate drops to only 1 pound per week.

Many people just don't know that fat-loss ...the actual goal when on a weight-reduction" diet, is rate-limited. In other words, the human body has factors that prevent more than a certain amount of fatty-acid release from storage...and even more factors that prevent those released fatty acids from being used up instead of stored back into the fat cells.

A priority of the human body is survival. Anything that threatens its survival results in the cascade of events to maintain the previous status quo. Water fluctuations are one way the body does this. OK...so you done good on Atkins' during induction...lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks. Maybe 7 the first week and 3 the second. But, whoa! Weeks 3 and 4 there is NO loss! And weeks 5 and 6 is only 1/2 pound each!

So... what gives? Initially, the body jettisons the water attached to the glycogen stores that we diligently deplete to get into ketosis...this accounts for about 3-5 pounds of water. In addition, muscle stores of glycogen are not being replaced when used...which will account for the rest. All in all...MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized during the first week... and MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized the 2nd week. Of that 10 initial pounds, only 1 pound was fat and 9 pounds water...

The body senses this lack and sirens start shrieking: Warning! Warning! Losing water... new thing...got to get back to the status quo! Brain tells body to produce and release that vasopressin anti-diuretic hormone....more water is retained, and no weight loss noticed. Fat loss is still occurring, MAYBE even 2 pounds per week, because ketosis is firmly established and appetite suppression is in effect...but water retention is hiding that continuing fat loss. The body is preventing dehydration with this mechanism, and that's a *good* thing.

From the perspective of the scale, it can be discouraging. Which is why the mantra: Water retention masks fat loss (repeated frequently to oneself) is helpful. Water retention will mask ongoing fat-loss for as long as the body retains the water. We can combat this by drinking more water...but we aren't going to totally overcome this mechanism during the initial water-loss phase of the Atkins diet. By weeks 5 and 6, things start to get back in balance, and the scale will begin to reflect the true fat-loss...which, as mentioned before is rate-limited.

Individuals vary, but max weight loss runs about 2 pounds per week...under extremely optimal conditions... or 1% of body weight (whichever is the lower number). So don't use the scale as an excuse to undermine your progress. Even when the scale is in a stall, fat loss can be occurring.

Aimee 03-20-2014 02:41 PM

Excellent article! THANKS GEIRI!
It really explains what's going on.
I really needed to read that!

Larissima 03-20-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reddress (Post 16844112)
If things aren't working, that's a lot of time wasted where I could have been making changes.

But things are working: you weigh substantially less than 16 days ago, following exactly the LC weight loss pattern. Stay on course, and it will continue to work, again following the pattern (up/down/stall/down/etc.) described in this thread, derived from many people's experiences.

Keep at it, and you will see (even more) results.

Reddress 03-20-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geiri (Post 16844282)
You will not loose fat faster on any other diet so I really hope you won't give up just because you were hoping it would go faster.

Your body is simply designed not to loose too much fat too fast and there is nothing you can do about it. losing few pounds a month is something to be happy about rather than being pissed that you didn't loose more.

Also the scale often lies and it lies the most in the beginning of a low-carb diet. People can be stuck in the same number or even gain a little while still burning fat.

After the first couple of weeks a lot of people "stall" weight wise for few weeks or even few months while still burning fat.

To be honest I think short-term thinking (or short-term obsessing) is the main reason why people fail long-term. I have to agree with gable that you really need to change your attitude on this whole thing.

Anyway here is a good article on stalling... please read it:

Thank you for that article! That really made sense to me, and would explain a lot. :)