Old 03-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddress View Post
I'll be honest, I'm not sure that helped. What I got from that, is it is very unlikely that I have lost any fat at all, just water. And all the questions at the end, what she says are measures of success "How do you look? How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? Are your rings looser? Do your muscles feel firmer? These are the true measurements of success."

Well. I look no different. I feel no different. My clothes fit worse. My rings have no difference. No change in muscles. So maybe I'm having no success with this at all if I can't even use the number on the scale as an indicator.
Here's something to consider--the pounds we lose at first ARE primarily water weight. But there's a very good reason for that. Our body will always use the simplest fuels first. So your body will not burn fat for fuel until the glucagon is used up first. The water we hold in our tissues is what holds the glucagon. This helps explain why we become "puffy" after a splurge. Here's the way it works:

1. We reduce foods that increase blood sugar.
2. With the reduction of dietary carbs, our body is forced to use existing fuel (glucagon).
3. As glucagon is used, the water that stored it is released from the body.
4. Once glucagon stores are gone, the body begins the process of burning fat stores for fuel.
5. As body fat is burned, byproducts called ketones are released.
6. Ketones become a source of fuel--especially for the brain, which is reported to prefer this fuel.

The process is far more complex than this, but the fact that you lost water weight so effectively means that your body is now ready to burn fat. There is a priority with regards to the order in which fuels are used in the body. Carbs are the most easily used as they easily convert to blood glucose--and once we have more glucose than we actually need, they are once again stored as glucagon and we have to start the whole process over again. For this reason, it's important to stay the course.
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Great job of explaining!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
Great job of explaining!
Thanks Shirl! Although I read all the science, it still took me awhile to actually piece that all together in my mind. And I've been low carb one year today! (Wow--didn't realize that until I began typing out how long. lol) Anyhow, from the beginning I knew that I needed to stay the course, but after losing the initial chunk of weight, I began to deal with complacency with regards to special occasions. I used those occasions to experiment and find the limits of my own tolerances. And I've definitely found my limits! Painfully, I might add... But the very principles that make low carb so effective can also work against us when we merely dabble with low carb. Unlike many other ways of eating, low carb requires more commitment. But that commitment can bring about incredible improvement in health, weight, and vitality! For those of us with blood sugar issues, it can be the wisest health commitment we make.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 40 pounds down, 108 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
Quote:
I did put a tablespoon of mayo in my tuna. To just put it on my lettuce? I think that is too thick and heavy for my tastes.

I will check out that article, thanks! I will admit I am a bit at the 6 weeks fact. I hope that never happens to me, I couldn't handle that and not give in/cheat. I'll be honest too, it is rare that I enjoy the food. I feel like I've given up everything I enjoyed, and luckily though, so far, I like the declining number on the scale more than the foods I miss.

Way to go on finally breaking through! I hope it doesn't take me 9 days, I would probably give up. Kudos to you for hanging in there!!
Reddress - I am a total foodie and love to cook. Tell me, what kind of food are you missing? Do you cook?
Maybe you just need ideas for good food..Otherwise this is just another diet.
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:04 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetA
Stats: 185/153/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart January 2014
Happy Anniversary, dgidaho!
JanetA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Janet!

This year has given me hope and a vision for the future that was fading quickly. My husband doesn't watch what I eat because it will affect my appearance (he loves me big or little, which is really nice), but he has begun bird-dogging when I eat off-plan because he hates to see me in pain. The pain is gone now and it only comes back when I stray. That said, there should be many, many more low carb anniversaries to come!

Everybody's body chemistry is different, and I would never say that this WOE is indicated for absolutely everyone, but I would definitely recommend a trial for people suffering from joint and stomach problems, as well as blood sugar difficulties.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Reddress
Stats: Start: 221 Goal: 175 Current:202
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof7 View Post
Reddress - I am a total foodie and love to cook. Tell me, what kind of food are you missing? Do you cook?
Maybe you just need ideas for good food..Otherwise this is just another diet.
I mostly miss sweets, lol, and the idea of being able to eat whatever I want.

I do need ideas for food! I've been eating the same things over and over, lol. I cook, but don't always have much time - very hurried in the mornings, and usually eating lunch and dinner away from home.
Reddress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 40 pounds down, 108 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
Quote:
I mostly miss sweets, lol, and the idea of being able to eat whatever I want.

I do need ideas for food! I've been eating the same things over and over, lol. I cook, but don't always have much time - very hurried in the mornings, and usually eating lunch and dinner away from home.
I hear you, sister. lol
I don't know what you're eating or what you like or anything like that but I'll take a shot in the dark...I love food and to cook.
here are some things I am likely to eat doing LC. I cook a lot of this ahead so its easy to throw together or grab and go

The one favorite for breakfast that is grab and go or sit down is
Baked omelettes (your fixings - onions, turkey bacon, mushrooms, whatever you like in an omelette. Saute first)
Whip your eggs in a bowl (I usually do 2-3 dozen), add seasonings and some HWC or Cream cheese or sour cream (1/2 cup or less)...Add in your fixings - and pour into an oiled pyrex dish. Bake until set.
Cut into squares and once cooled freeze portions ahead or eat throughout the week.

olive oil Sauteed zuchinni and eggs bowl with some sausage (I use turkey sausage) - really cures any fried potatoes and eggs cravings!

Turkey cigars - Sliced deli turkey rolled around string cheese wrapped up in romaine hearts. Love those for a snack or an on the go breakfast.

Taco salads - ground beef and taco fixings (small black olives only have 1g carb for 6! but watch the taco seasoning - mine had 6g carb per tsp! Cumin and red pepper was a good sub) Just keep the ground meat in a seperate microwavable container and you have lunch and dinner any time.

Chicken salad and tuna salad - sounds like you're familiar with (lol) -- add some pepperjack or celery or something that could liven it up. Tuna Melts are delish on lettuce.

Whenever I crave potatoes -- If its fried I crave - I have zucchinni. If it mashed potatoes I crave I have cauliflower. It doesn't quite 'trick' me, but it does satisfy the craving enough that I can move on and feel good about myself.

If I want crunchy I make kale chips or eat roasted seaweed (Trader Joe's has the most excellent wasabi seaweed. its spicy!)

and as for sweets. Oh, I feel your pain. I made this Mackie's Low Carb Sugar Free Cheesecake Recipe - Food.com - 102777

except I only used 10 pkts of Monks Fruit (its like splenda and all teh rest) and subbed the rest with 3 tsp of xylitol (no yucky aftertaste).
This cheesecake was really fantastic. Really, really fantastic. In fact it was so good that I ate so much and gave myself 'bowel distress'.
Yeah, but it was almost worth it

Totally recommend SFShiela's 4T hemp seeds 4T coconut oil and 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder dessert. Oh, that has gotten me thru a few mornings and dessert times. It takes 2 minutes to make, tastes really good (I dont even roll it into balls. Just eat it in the bowl) and satisfies sugar cravings.

I have 1 sf syrup (chocolate) and a bag of xylitol, some monks fruit packets..and so far I am good.
I make HWC with some of the chocolate syrup and it makes a kind of mouse under 5 minutes.

I have just finished week 1 of this lifestyle. I've been on it two times before, and gave up because I didn't know how to cook and I kept cheating myself.

Last night I allowed myself a small slice of watermelon. If I want a piece of fruit really bad, I'm going to have a piece of fruit...I just have to accept the consequence it may knock me out of ketosis for a bit. If I'm ok with that than I really enjoy that fruit <3 <3

Please don't give up. Did this help at all? Want more ideas along these lines or have I totally told you nothing new or helpful?

Last edited by Partyof7; 03-22-2014 at 06:55 PM..
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote