Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
I think going more clean and simple is restarting my progress

I've been stalling for couple of months and decided to make some changes to see what happens.

Perhaps a little extreme but I decided to try to do just clean meat and homemade sauces for couple of weeks. No processed meat, no matter how low-carb they say it is. No baking with alternative flours and sweeteners. No vegetables or nuts.

Just meat and fatty sauces mostly made from mayo and butter. Cheese in moderate amounts.

Anyway 4 days later I am 3 pounds lighter.

I don't plan to have it this simple forever but I think it's a good way to figure out what has been stalling me. I'll carefully add things back one by one and see what happens.

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 03-19-2014 at 08:42 AM..
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Hi Geiri,

sounds like you got the ball rolling again, well done!

Have you read or are you familiar with the eatlowcarbhighfat blog? The guy who writes it eats that way pretty much and lost half his body weight! He is experimenting a bit more now that he's at goal, and he will eat vegetables, but it is pretty inspiring!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Yes I looked it up yesterday for some recipe ideas It's in my bookmark now.

I guess I could just keep it this simple for few months until I have reached my goal. I really don't wanna stall again.

I'm thinking I might be very cab-sensitive. A part of this change is that my carb intake went from about 30 grams a day down to about 10.

It also seems to be enough for me to eat two meals a day instead of three. I'm not forcing myself to, just comes naturally.

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 03-19-2014 at 08:55 AM..
Old 03-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Congratulations on getting that scale moving again!

It does sound like you are carb-sensitive. Kind of a bummer, but knowledge is power. At least now you know what you have to do to lose weight and keep it off.

Keeping it simple is working for me, too, but I love and eat vegetables in addition to my main calorie source (MEAT! ).
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

In general I'm not much for vegetables. I've just used small amounts of peppers and onions for stir-fry and some sauces... but rarely had it as a side-dish. But they will probably be the first thing I try introducing... I don't eat large quantities of them anyway.

I was worried this might hurt my budget having steaks every day but it evens out since I need less to feel satisfied.

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 03-19-2014 at 09:36 AM..
Old 03-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
I am with you-- good for you. Keep it simple and know you know what works for you.

Clean, natural.
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Brilliant! I think adding things back slowly is a wonderful idea. It's what we did with my youngest and that's how we found out she was gluten intolerant. When you do start adding things back, check your weight the next day to see if it causes you to retain water. If it doesn't cause immediate distress, that a way to gauge to what doesn't agree with you.

I'm going to check out this guys blog too, so thanks for the info!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:08 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Simple foods is the key to all woe in my opinion. Aside from only eating the nutrients your body uses , you have much more control . Even on a higher carb way of eating , those plans also reccomended whole simple foods. As the mainstay of my eating higher carb days or not, I try to kiss. Keep it simple sweety!
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
Sounds good, that's how I like to eat - meat/fish protein, salad/veg on occasion, and full fat dressings or sauces, for satiety.

I never lose, eating processed meats, too much sodium and who knows what else, and artifical sugars cause sugar cravings for me.

Last edited by SuzanneM; 03-20-2014 at 10:41 AM..
SuzanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

It's recommended though to get a more than average consumption of sodium when you are low-carbing. I try to put as much as possible in the sauces without it tasting too salty because I'm worried about the sodium going too much down on cleaner eating.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emily1
Stats: 206.8/159.8/130
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiri View Post
I've been stalling for couple of months and decided to make some changes to see what happens.

Perhaps a little extreme but I decided to try to do just clean meat and homemade sauces for couple of weeks. No processed meat, no matter how low-carb they say it is. No baking with alternative flours and sweeteners. No vegetables or nuts.

Just meat and fatty sauces mostly made from mayo and butter. Cheese in moderate amounts.

I don't plan to have it this simple forever but I think it's a good way to figure out what has been stalling me. I'll carefully add things back one by one and see what happens.
Very smart idea. I also find that if I start stalling I do a process of elimination too. I have probably tweaked my diet a good 20 times. It works. I am not too sure why it works. I am a very repetitive eater so once my body gets used to the carbs/calories/fat I am eating my weight slows down and either I have to reduce calories a bit, carbs, or fat. There have been times where I have increased carbs a bit to lose as well. Once we get down to our last bit of weight.. it's like walking a tightrope
emily1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #12
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:

I, too keep it simple this time around. I threw out all of my "flour" subs like Carbquik, etc. (lots of money in the garbage! ) and only use whole ingredients that I can find at the regular grocery store. Fresh veggies, full fat dairy, etc. I just feel eating "clean" is a better choice for me. Congrats on the weight loss!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
I've been eating LC for almost 4 weeks, and I find that the less variety I have, the easier it is. I don't like counting everything and keeping track, so if I know the macros for what I'm eating, it just makes life easier overall.

Still having issues on weekends

I can't do this forever, but I will do it as long as I can, if I can keep losing! When I do stall, I'm going to try Geiri's trick of eating meat and sauce all the time. Sounds yummy!!
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Is your aim to be in ketosis? If you are doing something bad in the weekends that kicks you out of it then it can kick you out for days or even the whole week. Regular cheats can pretty much ruin the whole thing.

It's still going well with this simple way. The only solid food I've had for the past 10 days are meat and eggs. One day I needed to eat three times but all the others twice was enough.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: afurrything
Stats: 240/177/135 5'3"
Start Date: October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthcrosser View Post
I've been eating LC for almost 4 weeks, and I find that the less variety I have, the easier it is. I don't like counting everything and keeping track, so if I know the macros for what I'm eating, it just makes life easier overall.

Still having issues on weekends

I can't do this forever, but I will do it as long as I can, if I can keep losing! When I do stall, I'm going to try Geiri's trick of eating meat and sauce all the time. Sounds yummy!!
This is a life long WOE. I'm afraid if you say you can't do this forever, as soon as you stop eating this way, you'll gain everything back with possibly more.
I admit I got lax with my eating. I stalled, for three years! I was super lucky I didn't gain, but I still was staying low carb, just not as low carb I needed to keep losing. I was about 20 lbs to goal and it was getting harder to lose anything at that point and I was frustrated.
afurrything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Most of my meals consist of a protein and vegtables or a salad. I find I can have endless variety this way and it's satisfying. I do make a homemade low carb bread once in a while and eat a slice with scrambled eggs and bacon. Other than that, I will occasionally use almond meal to thicken a sauce or as a breading. Processed meats and AS don't seem to hurt my progress. I love bacon, sausage, deli meats, and smoked fish. I do get everything uncured and with no or very low nitrates, so maybe that helps. I also have plenty of salt.
144 by October 28 -- reached October 31
140 by November 25 -- reached December 6
136 by December 30 -- reached January 12
132 by January 27
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afurrything View Post
This is a life long WOE. I'm afraid if you say you can't do this forever, as soon as you stop eating this way, you'll gain everything back with possibly more.
I admit I got lax with my eating. I stalled, for three years! I was super lucky I didn't gain, but I still was staying low carb, just not as low carb I needed to keep losing. I was about 20 lbs to goal and it was getting harder to lose anything at that point and I was frustrated.

I agree. My attitude is that I will do this forever, but I do allow daliances and indulgences (with my eyes wide open and with accountability on the scale). I also allow food rewards and am not restrictive with my veggie carbs or calories. This is the way that works in the long-term sense for me. I think it's important to find a balance that you feel comfortable with for the long haul. Otherwise, you risk losing all your good progress.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have to agree with this.

I tried the whole "now that I don't need to loose more weight I'll go back to balanced diet and just watch the portions" thing. Few months later I was at my heaviest weight ever.

You might not have to have it as strict in maintenance but if you want to keep your results long-term I think you will have to keep it somewhat low in carbs. Depends on the person what your limit is.

Increasing carbs should be done in small steps so you will know your limit for maintenance. The whole "now I'm done with this program" will most likely end badly.

Plus the longer you low-carb the easier it gets. It would be a shame to ruin it with the wrong mindset.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KampyKool
Stats: 2007: 216/144......... 2014: 219/204/145
Quote:
I have to agree with this.

I tried the whole "now that I don't need to loose more weight I'll go back to balanced diet and just watch the portions" thing. Few months later I was at my heaviest weight ever.
Ditto!
KampyKool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:45 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Agreed - you do have to do this forever. If you quit eating LC and eat the way you previously did, you will regain weight, possibly more.

That's why 95% of diets fail - people go back to old ways of eating.

That said, if you can't do induction forever, completely understandable, but you will need to find that sweet point where your consumption = requirements.

There is a whole forum dedicated to maintenance - and interestingly enough, many say that maintenance is the hardest.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
and interestingly enough, many say that maintenance is the hardest.
YES! If maintenance were easy, or even the same level of difficulty as losing, why would we ever regain? I know how to lose weight - it's keeping it off that's the problem.

That's why I'm trying to make lifetime changes, rather than "just for this diet" changes. Life isn't a diet.

Last edited by leeloo; 03-26-2014 at 11:59 AM..
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:51 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
What I meant was...I've been abstaining from EVERYthing pretty much except wine/vodka for four weeks-no pizza, no pasta, no gluten, very little starch aside from a very occasional potato, to keep my calories down to around 1200/day. I totally plan on staying as low carb as I can forever, but I would like to someday, perhaps when I get to my goal, add a little pasta or pizza back in. My issue seems to be that on weekends I overeat, meaning I consume too many calories to keep my weight loss on track. I lose during the week, two or three pounds, then put a pound or two back on, then lose three more. I'm ok with that, but sometimes would like to lose at a faster pace.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeloo View Post
YES! If maintenance were easy, or even the same level of difficulty as losing, why would we ever regain? I know how to lose weight - it's keeping it off that's the problem.

That's why I'm trying to make lifetime changes, rather than "just for this diet" changes. Life isn't a diet.
I had a nutritionist tell me years ago that maintenance was the easiest part. Needless to say that didn't work out so well.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 230/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Sept. 2014
I have been toying with the eat clean/low carb diet. I've searched for these type of meal plans, but no such luck.
h82bl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:15 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I had a nutritionist tell me years ago that maintenance was the easiest part. Needless to say that didn't work out so well.
Well that's just ridiculous. Why do so many people gain all the weight back then? As far as adding back some carbs in when you get to your goal, there are many schools of thought on this. For me, I do allow food rewards and off-plans meals, but I am very vigilent about not becoming complacent and having carb creep. If I am having carbs, I know exactly how they affect me weight-wise and quickly get back on plan. I think it's possible to include them on an occasional basis. For some people this becomes a problem and they end up gaining more than they are comfortable with or fall completely off the ladder. It's something to watch out for.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h82bl8 View Post
I have been toying with the eat clean/low carb diet. I've searched for these type of meal plans, but no such luck.
Make your own! Determine your carb level and then create meal plans with real food from the myriad sources of low carb recipes out there.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimivac View Post
Well that's just ridiculous. Why do so many people gain all the weight back then? As far as adding back some carbs in when you get to your goal, there are many schools of thought on this. For me, I do allow food rewards and off-plans meals, but I am very vigilent about not becoming complacent and having carb creep. If I am having carbs, I know exactly how they affect me weight-wise and quickly get back on plan. I think it's possible to include them on an occasional basis. For some people this becomes a problem and they end up gaining more than they are comfortable with or fall completely off the ladder. It's something to watch out for.
This is exactly the way I see it. I want this to be a forever WOE for me, but I would like a little reward from time to time. I will just have to figure out the best way to do it, and I know it won't be very often, just based on past experience. I will definitely have to always restrict my calorie intake regardless of what I'm eating, but that's ok-it's worth it.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #28
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think nuts can be problematic for lots of folks for number of reasons. But I think nut flours can be the most deceiving because of what we can 'create' from the flour. I think some people tend to forget that a little almond flour cracker is loaded and like their wheat cousins, who eats just one?

Same can be true for dairy. Enough of it in whatever form can kick a real punch in the carb count.

I do still use oopsies regularly (they are simple egg and cream cheese - 1/2 an egg and 1/2 an ounce of cream cheese per) but even those must be monitored.

Good for you Geiri for getting back to the basics and then sharing your experience. We all need to reality check from time to time.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: afurrything
Stats: 240/177/135 5'3"
Start Date: October 2010
Quote:
This is exactly the way I see it. I want this to be a forever WOE for me, but I would like a little reward from time to time. I will just have to figure out the best way to do it, and I know it won't be very often, just based on past experience. I will definitely have to always restrict my calorie intake regardless of what I'm eating, but that's ok-it's worth it.
If that works for you that's great! Some people are a lot more carb sensitive. I know there is no way I could eat an occasional potato and feel good. Same with pasta. It's not worth it to me how horrible I feel the next day.
I guess I'm lucky that I can live without pasta and bread and potatoes for the rest of my life. For me all of those things are just a vehicle for the real good stuff and I don't need them. What's the good part of a potato? For me it's all the good things you add to it. Who wants to sit and eat a plain potato? The same with pasta and bread for me. I want all the good stuff on it, not the actual thing.
So far I haven't had to restrict calories, which is a good thing because I eat several hundred a day in just coconut oil, but I do have to be strict with my carbs.
Everyone's bodies are so different.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

My future vision is rather whether I will allow myself a low-carb version of bread or not...

I just know the real thing will lead to something bad. Just a question of if it will take days, weeks or months (unlikely) to break me.