Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Pumpkin seeds and the science of induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/826172-pumpkin-seeds-science-induction.html)

believer170 03-19-2014 12:10 AM

Pumpkin seeds and the science of induction

I know that pumpkin seeds, being seeds, are not permitted on induction but can anyone explain the science of why? It helps me stuck to plan to understand the science. The pack I'm looking at is 1/4 cup 4g carb 4g fiber. Net zero. 13g fat10g protein.

Thanks friends :)

Mimosa23 03-19-2014 03:55 AM

I think people can easily overdo the eating of nuts and seeds, that is why they aren't for induction IMO.
Also, you can eat more green leafy vegetables compared to nuts and seeds for the same amount of carbs...

I think induction for a minimum of two weeks really helps, not just with reaching ketosis faster, but also with the whole LC mindset...

ravenrose 03-19-2014 04:33 AM

pumpkin seeds have 22 grams of NET carb per cup, according to the nutrition facts I see online. there is no way the fiber can net out to zero carbs on that packet. I call it incorrect labeling.

believer170 03-19-2014 10:39 AM

I found another bag that says 3 carbs 2 fiber. I'm gonna experiment with them this week bc I just restarted and I'm only home 3 hours a day --when I'll be sleeping lol and this tiny bag of seeds lasts me 2 days bc they're so salty and fatty. Gets me through the day. I'll report back with my ketostix results. I'm under 1200 calories and my main meal is 2 chicken thighs with skin and buttered broccoli/cauliflower. With pumpkin seeds through the day, and a hard boiled egg or two oh and cream in my coffee. :)

believer170 03-19-2014 10:42 AM

Oh and I'm not eating nearly a cup! Lol in fact this bag is a half cup and lasts me 2 days. Maybe that's why.

palegirl 03-19-2014 10:43 AM

The package of my pumpkin seeds says 1/4 c. 14g fat, 3g carbs, 2g fiber, 9g protein. A super food, in my opinion, but not on the induction food list.

Arctic_Mama 03-19-2014 11:35 AM

There are plenty of ketogenic food choices not on induction. Some can be stallers for folks and are better experimented with in a controlled manner during ongoing weight loss, and others are known to create problems with portion control and benefit from the ''Power of Five" principle of ongoing weight loss, whereby they can be eaten but not more than 5 net carbs worth in a sitting.

sbarr 03-19-2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama (Post 16842759)
There are plenty of ketogenic food choices not on induction. Some can be stallers for folks and are better experimented with in a controlled manner during ongoing weight loss, and others are known to create problems with portion control and benefit from the ''Power of Five" principle of ongoing weight loss, whereby they can be eaten but not more than 5 net carbs worth in a sitting.

:goodpost:

mimivac 03-19-2014 12:06 PM

I'm of the school that if it works for you and you enjoy it, go ahead!

believer170 03-19-2014 08:39 PM

Showing purple on the Styx.... So far so good

Beeb 03-25-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimivac (Post 16842816)
I'm of the school that if it works for you and you enjoy it, go ahead!

:goodpost:

snowangel9 03-25-2014 12:16 PM

According to the book, they are not permitted in induction because people have issues with portion control. IMHO, if you can limit them, count the carbs and you should be good. Now, mindless eating out of a can or bag can really mess with your induction numbers.

I'd say proceed with caution, which it sounds like you are! :up:

Patience 03-25-2014 12:59 PM

Among the nuts/seeds food group, pumpkin seeds are a good choice, especially if you can measure out and not overeat.