Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
CSH
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CSH
Stats: 281/265/180
Start Date: 02-24-14
What "plan" would you say I'm following?

Let me just start out by saying that what ever label can be attached to my way of eating really doesn't matter (to me, anyway), I'm just asking for curiosity's sake.

I found this forum by searching for low carb recipes and decided to join because the comradery and support during any weight loss/life style change is really helpful (to me, anyway). However, what led me to asking this question is that in the compulsive lurking I did before joining and jumping in was how in some threads/posts quite a few times people have asked what particular plan someone was following, I assume so they can more accurately answer their question. It was then that it dawned on me that I didn't really have a particular plan that I, myself, was following. At least not one that had a name that I knew of.

I apologize in advance if this gets long so I'll try to keep it short, but a bit of background...

My husband is a type 2 diabetic so to manage him through diet we've tried to stay on the low glycemic index type foods, which sometimes are low carb, or at least better carbs, so we've been doing that for quite some time.

As for myself, I went through a doctor supervised 7 week elimination diet back in '07 after suffering from rheumatoid arthritis type symptoms even after testing negative, and it turned out that I had a major sensitivity to gluten (and not just wheat, but to almost all the gluten grains as well), and dairy (it makes me break out horribly - only cows milk though). On paper they can't find a reason for it and I am hesitant to call it an allergy, but I am borderline positive for a couple of autoimmune disorders which they keep telling me will have to become more advanced before they can finally nail it down, so in the mean time "something" is going on which I can successfully manage with diet. But (BIG BUT), I have been the worst patient in the world and until my knee fell apart (which I just had surgery for last week) I ate everything I wanted with no regard for what it was doing to my body and I felt like absolute complete and total garbage.

Anyway, to make a long story longer, over the years I have read books on (and researched online) paleo/neolithic diets, gluten free diets, Atkins, Ketogenic Diets, hCG diets, low carb in general, juice fasting, high fat, low fat, high protein, low protein, vegan, organic/natural/local, etc. There honestly is something from all of them that I like (and some things that I dislike) and it has sort of led me to doing what is sustainable for our budget, what is easiest for our lifestyle, and ultimately what makes ME *feel* the best (inflammation wise).

I've gained weight from chronic injuries that started with a car accident that led to inactivity, which then triggered a complete and total disregard for the diet that, medically, was best suited for me, and next thing I knew, I was 70 pounds heavier in the span of about 2 years. I was about 20/30 pounds heavier than I had ever been to begin with, but the extra 70 sent me over the edge.

So now that I'm on the proverbial wagon and actively trying to lose weight, here is what my "plan" consists of (or doesn't consist of).

On a typical day I burn about 3300 calories (sometimes it's as low as 2200, like this past week after surgery, and sometimes it's as high as 4200, depending on my activities) and I try to stay below 1500 consumed calories (the range is more accurately 1200-1400, with 1500 being my max). 4-7% is carbohydrates (always under 20 grams), 40-70% is fat, and the rest protein. I know some plans call for high amounts of fat, but for me personally, I just feel gross eating a lot of fat. I can't explain it, but I feel bloated and sluggish and just get a yucky tummy (how's that for a scientific term? - yucky tummy lol). I eat enough to curb hunger, which is around 55-60% ideally, but if I "fat fast" or push more fat, it just doesn't sit well.

I don't eat a lot of citrus (mainly because of the sugar), no grains or gluten what so ever (and I'm very careful to find hidden gluten in things like soy sauce and other condiments). Not a lot of nightshades like tomatoes (mainly because of sugar and the impact they have on inflammation). We eat a varied diet of red meat, poultry, pork, fish and shellfish, mainly for variety. Organic/grass fed/local when budget allows. Very limited sugar, obviously for carb reasons, but I would rather have sugar in very sparing amounts than artificial sweeteners. I try to avoid those too. If I have a soda I'll go for sucralose over aspartame every time. Aspartame is an absolute no-no. I use stevia in my coffee. I don't really use artificial sweeteners for anything else.

We don't eat processed foods very often. Lately we've kept natural nitrate free processed meats on hand for low carb snacks, otherwise that's about it. I don't eat many green veggies that contain moderate-high amounts of vitamin K because I have a history of DVT's, so those are "once in a while treats".

We keep nuts on hand in sparing quantities, mainly for carb reasons (they're kinda high).

Generally, my rule is that I shop on the outside of the store - refrigerated shelves, butcher, and fruit/veg. I try hard to cook big batches of fresh meat as my daily snacks and will make salads and lettuce wraps. I'd much rather prefer that to the packaged stuff (and tastes better).

My only weakness is dairy. I use half and half in my coffee, and I found since low carbing that cheese is a great low carb go-to snack. I'm trying really hard to use it sparingly, and lately I'm trying to go for goat feta and goat cheese over cow feta and soft cheeses like cream cheese. I really don't think humans are meant to consume cow dairy, and I am really strict with my daughter and her dairy consumption. I breast fed her till she was almost 3 and bypassed the DHA fortified whole milk thing because I just don't like the dairy industry and all the information about how incompatible milk is in our bodies. But... I eat it. I especially like it frozen with big balls of cookie dough mixed in, or baked on top of bread. My guilty pleasure.

So, what "plan" would you call that? I can't quite put my finger on one particular plan, so if someone asks me to help answer a question.. what do I tell them? LOL
CSH is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
CSH
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CSH
Stats: 281/265/180
Start Date: 02-24-14
Holey moley that came out looking like a novel. I'm sorry. Kudos to anyone who makes it through and actually replies. LOL
CSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:01 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/190.8/160
WOE: Keto
Hmmmm, yes, a novel, LOL!

I think from what you've written your plan is maybe similar to something like the South Beach diet...Not sure, as I've not read up on that one properly.

I would think you are doing general Low Carb.

Maybe more like a Low Carb/pastured type WAPF diet without grains??? Oh dear, I'm confusing myself now, LOL!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:08 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mulberry
WOE: 8 Hour Diet / low carb
Start Date: January 2014
Hi CSH...

CSH - I honestly don't have any idea what you would "call" the plan that you have chosen but I think the only important question is...are you losing? I, too, am not 100% pure Atkins. Just can't seem to stay exactly under 20 carbs/day and I do use artificial sweeteners in a few things. I also have included a small amount of fresh raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries over cottage cheese each day as a snack.
I am a senior citizen and I know that I have wrecked my metabolism....so I have given up thinking that I will lose quickly....but I do feel that I have done myself a great service by eliminating so much sugar from my daily eating. Every day I try to tweak my diet a little....adding a little more fat; TRYING to drink water (which absolutely gags me); and trying new recipes that I know will help me stay away from bad carbs forever. Yesterday I finally made Oopsie Rolls and they are wonderful. Just what I was looking for to fill the "bread/roll" void. Instead of trying to do everything at once, which I find just too difficult, I am slowly changing my w.o.e. and not stressing on the number on the scale (which I am trying to stay away from ).
Just reading your post reminded me of something important regarding diet plans and that is that because of each individual's medical history, etc. it may not be possible to follow a plan EXACTLY. So, if this type of eating---and the fact that you are also watching your husband's sugar, etc.---is working for you, regardless if it falls into any specifically named plan....stay with it.
mulberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:13 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BigRunner
Stats: 247/190/168
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Looks Primal to me (Paleo + some dairy)
BigRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:04 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoanneO
Stats: 253/231/140
WOE: Moderate carbs, real food, portion control
Start Date: February 13, 2014
I wouldn't get too hung up on needing a name for your plan. Sounds like you've done a great job figuring out what's best for your family and you're making it work. Good for you !

As Mulberry said, are you losing ... and do you feel better? For me, that's the kicker. Like you, I am not really on any single "plan" . I keep carbs moderate - around 50 and eat only "real" food, like Paleo. And first and foremost for me, portion control. I'm averaging 1-2 pound per week loss, and I feel better. As long as my "plan" works for me, I'm sticking' with it
JoanneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:17 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/180/135 (19-Aug)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
A novel, but very well written. I love the short paragraphs and extra line between changes of topic. Had it been a single paragraph, I would have read a few lines and passed.

Your plan sounds like a general low cab approach - I don't see a specific plan. I don't think you necessarily need a label and having a label does not grant expertise. So, if you feel like you can answer a question, do so. If it's plan specific question on this forum, either don't answer it, or if you do, answer from within the context of your experience and knowledge.

Visit some of the different forums and you may find that you better identify with the plan, but maybe not.

Best wishes along your journey!

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote