Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   That smell. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/826155-smell.html)

SeriouslyFunny 03-18-2014 04:17 PM

That smell.

As Lynyrd Skynyrd once noted:

Ooh-ooh that smell
Can't you smell that smell
Ooh-ooh that smell
The smell of death surrounds you

I restarted hardcore LC about a week ago, and boy, am I ever in ketosis. It's been awhile, and I forgot about this part of it. I smell. My armpits smell. My breath smells. I have a terrible taste in my mouth. When I go to the bathroom, my pee smells bad. I'm afraid to get too close to my husband, for fear he'll think I've been making out with a hobo.

Okay. I just needed to say that to people who get what I'm talking about. I'm going to go power-load some more water now.

snowdancer79 03-18-2014 05:47 PM

I always get excited when my pees smells, cause I know I'm in Ketosis. I don't use strips anymore, since they are rather unreliable. I'm sure non-LC people would think I'm so weird for saying that!

Mimosa23 03-19-2014 12:18 AM

LOL! I seem to have lost the smell, but occasionally it comes out.... I got a whiff of it yesterday... YUK. Most days it's not there anymore. I guess it's because I'm keto-adapted now.

Trigger828 03-19-2014 03:55 AM

could be toxins coming out of the body also.

kandiegirl765 03-19-2014 05:07 AM

My husband says I have cat but* breath. After I brush my teeth, it turns into mint flavored cat but* breath.

leeloo 03-19-2014 09:26 AM

You might try drinking more water. It really does help, in my experience.

The smell comes from ketone bodies being eliminated via your pores, saliva and other body fluids, so the more "diluted" you make the fluids, the less you smell.

palegirl 03-19-2014 12:42 PM

This came up and someone suggested using a tongue scraper. After that I bought Breath RX which has tongue spray & scraper, mouth rinse, toothpaste, some mints etc. The jury's still out, but at least I feel like I'm doing something.

TowerOrchard 03-19-2014 03:31 PM

I bought a tongue scraper, too!!! I don't think it is working, though - my husband says its a "little" better. He is trying, but that was not very encouraging.

palegirl 03-19-2014 07:20 PM

ugh, I'm single and dating! Tell me my breath is all better now please!

cprcheetah 03-19-2014 07:23 PM

I too have noticed I have quite the smell when I pee, I guess that's a good thing :)

leeloo 03-19-2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palegirl (Post 16843299)
ugh, I'm single and dating! Tell me my breath is all better now please!

The woman I dated when I was lowcarbing in the past had never smelled me any other way, and she didn't have any complaints ;)

CuriousCat 03-19-2014 09:01 PM

Cat but* breath is exactly how I would describe my breath this week. I'm 4 mths in and haven't noticed it before but I'm now paranoid about breathing around people. LOL

painted_klown 03-19-2014 09:11 PM

I have never really noticed my breath or urine changing smells. Occasionally, I can kind of "taste" that ketone smell, but that is rare.

When I eat asparagus however, that is another story altogether. My urine smell gets VERY strong and stinky!!! LOL!

SeriouslyFunny 03-20-2014 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by painted_klown (Post 16843371)
When I eat asparagus however, that is another story altogether. My urine smell gets VERY strong and stinky!!! LOL!

Fun fact about that: "Only some people can smell [asparagus pee] ... some people secrete the compounds in their urine but can't smell them, while some people don't secrete the compounds but can smell them in other people's urine. This complication means that the ability to smell stinky compounds in one's own urine after eating asparagus is not a simple genetic trait. It is not known whether the two separate traits, secreting the compounds and being able to smell them, have a simple genetic basis."

Myths of Human Genetics: Asparagus Urine Smell

painted_klown 03-20-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeriouslyFunny (Post 16843948)
Fun fact about that: "Only some people can smell [asparagus pee] ... some people secrete the compounds in their urine but can't smell them, while some people don't secrete the compounds but can smell them in other people's urine. This complication means that the ability to smell stinky compounds in one's own urine after eating asparagus is not a simple genetic trait. It is not known whether the two separate traits, secreting the compounds and being able to smell them, have a simple genetic basis."

Myths of Human Genetics: Asparagus Urine Smell

Interesting. Thanks for the info. :)

KampyKool 03-20-2014 08:17 PM

LOL! I've only been a member here for less than a month and just love some of the subjects that come up. And on that note .... I bought an extra supply of deodorant and sugar free mints just two days ago!

badnews 03-21-2014 02:55 PM

I only smell it when I pee. GAWD I hope my breath isn't knocking down doors and I don't even know it...

avid 03-22-2014 07:04 AM

I was totally a stinker...My wife would complain often. I didn't tell her it was due to my LC diet because I didn't want to "hear it" so to speak.
the good news is that after I hit my goal weight, (about a year) I gradually re-introduced some carbs. I'm no longer in ketosis, so the smell is gone. I am a couple of pounds over my goal weight but still very trim and fit. Hang in there.