Red
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Red
Stats: 181/164.3/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2013
This is strange.....

Hi I am relatively new to low carb.
When I come home from work, I always weigh myself and then have a cup of coffee. I guess the coffee is my way of relaxing after a long day. But I have noticed that if I add a little bit of pure butter to my coffee and then weigh again a couple hours later my weight goes down a few ounces from what it was when I came home. How is this possible? I mean I like that it's doing that. But I find it strange. Anyone ever have this happen?
Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Urination, maybe? Sometimes the first thing I do when I go home is to hit the bathroom. Do you change into different clothes?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Hmmmm I guess you may have peed in between and thus lost the ounces in water? No idea, I just know that coffee is a diuretic, and butter contains MCT which helps in fat burning, so both together could lead to extra fluid loss? I never weigh myself that often so I couldn't tell you what it is that is causing it.

I would definitely not read too much in to it, our weight fluctuates all day long!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Is there a reason you weigh after you get home? The most accurate, well, as accurate as it can be, is first thing in the morning, after a bathroom pit stop. I only weigh a couple of times a week, if that, because it does fluctuate and that can mess with my head. And, at least it's down!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
Red
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Red
Stats: 181/164.3/150
Start Date: December 2013
I weigh several times a day. It doesn't depress me, it actually intrigues me on how much your weight fluctuates during the day.
All I know is that Low Carb is the easiest way of eating. I don't get STARVING hungry or have the cravings anymore.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Red - there are too many variables to interpret anything from a couple of ounce difference on a scale a couple of hours after you consume something.

A little bit of butter can be a good thing, but your immediate term weight 2 hours later won't be an indicator as to whether that's a good thing for your diet. I think extra fat in your diet is a good thing, but 2 hours and weighing on the scale won't tell you anything meaningful.

A lot of people like butter in their coffee - please read about bulletproof coffee. There's quite a bit of information on this site and other sites.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
I weigh in the morning after my bathroom pit stop too...but I don't always have to weigh each day....I will not let the scales own me.... I can see the result and I know that my body is making good changes and I know that I am on track with my WOE for sure...
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:17 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chipmunkis
Stats: 180/ 135/ February 2014 restart: 161/151.8/ 135
WOE: ATKINS!
Start Date: restarting Feb. 3, 2014
They say you learn something new every day! I had never heard of "bullet-proof coffee" until this thread here! I am going to have to pick up some good butter and try this!
chipmunkis is offline   Reply With Quote