Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   This is strange..... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/826137-strange.html)

Red 03-18-2014 09:03 AM

This is strange.....

Hi I am relatively new to low carb.
When I come home from work, I always weigh myself and then have a cup of coffee. I guess the coffee is my way of relaxing after a long day. But I have noticed that if I add a little bit of pure butter to my coffee and then weigh again a couple hours later my weight goes down a few ounces from what it was when I came home. How is this possible? I mean I like that it's doing that. But I find it strange. :) Anyone ever have this happen?

Patience 03-18-2014 09:29 AM

Urination, maybe? Sometimes the first thing I do when I go home is to hit the bathroom. Do you change into different clothes?

Mimosa23 03-18-2014 09:31 AM

Hmmmm I guess you may have peed in between and thus lost the ounces in water? No idea, I just know that coffee is a diuretic, and butter contains MCT which helps in fat burning, so both together could lead to extra fluid loss? I never weigh myself that often so I couldn't tell you what it is that is causing it.

I would definitely not read too much in to it, our weight fluctuates all day long!

snowangel9 03-18-2014 11:43 AM

Is there a reason you weigh after you get home? The most accurate, well, as accurate as it can be, is first thing in the morning, after a bathroom pit stop. I only weigh a couple of times a week, if that, because it does fluctuate and that can mess with my head. And, at least it's down!

Red 03-18-2014 11:49 AM

I weigh several times a day. It doesn't depress me, it actually intrigues me on how much your weight fluctuates during the day.
All I know is that Low Carb is the easiest way of eating. I don't get STARVING hungry or have the cravings anymore.

sbarr 03-18-2014 01:42 PM

Red - there are too many variables to interpret anything from a couple of ounce difference on a scale a couple of hours after you consume something.

A little bit of butter can be a good thing, but your immediate term weight 2 hours later won't be an indicator as to whether that's a good thing for your diet. I think extra fat in your diet is a good thing, but 2 hours and weighing on the scale won't tell you anything meaningful.

A lot of people like butter in their coffee - please read about bulletproof coffee. There's quite a bit of information on this site and other sites.

ladyinlove56 03-18-2014 02:17 PM

I weigh in the morning after my bathroom pit stop too...but I don't always have to weigh each day....I will not let the scales own me....:) I can see the result and I know that my body is making good changes and I know that I am on track with my WOE for sure...

chipmunkis 03-18-2014 11:17 PM

They say you learn something new every day! I had never heard of "bullet-proof coffee" until this thread here! I am going to have to pick up some good butter and try this!