Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 07:56 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Does meat have almost all of the vitamins and minerals you need?

Couple of times I've heard people describing meat eating (eggs included) this way, that you pretty much get all of the essential vitamins and minerals with the exception of C vitamin. It would be great if someone here who has read up on this could comment.

I've been thinking so much about weight loss without really thinking about the nutrition. Majority of my food intake has been from meat (including chicken and fish). I don't eat fruits and I eat small amount of vegetables (mostly peppers) and moderate intake of dairy. I'm wondering what I might be missing when it comes to vitamins and minerals?
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
My opinion is that if you eat the whole animal, you'd probably get everything you need.

If you only eat muscle meats, you may need to supplement.

That said, one of our members Suzanneyea has been doing zero carb for years and she's healthy.

I eat very few carbs, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on vital nourishment. I do eat offal, marrow and green leafy vegetables, some nightshades and a cucumber and cabbage (fermented) here and there and seafood. If anything, by eating healthy fats I actually have been feeling better.

I think you need to focus on getting the right amounts of nutrients for you, and if you feel good eating very few vegetables and such, then I guess you are fine eating like that!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/

Last edited by Mimosa23; 03-18-2014 at 08:36 AM..
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Yes, to answer your question. But only if you eat grass fed and organ meats. That's how the Inuit do it. They eat everything. A lot of the minerals etc. are in the animals organs.

However, I recently read Jason & Mira Calton 's book Naked Calories. They make an excellent point of depleted nutrients in our food. And give examples that show you aren't getting the nutrients you may think you are. So, I've taken supplemants for a long time and about a month ago started with their vitamins. I really do feel better! And I love not having to take handfuls of pills.

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I agree you probably really need to eat at least some organ meat to get all vitamins and minerals, but there are lots of modern zero carb people who only eat muscle meat. Here is an interesting quote from Phinney and Volek, though they allude to the fat/protein ration being more important than the micronutrients:

Quote:
Among the Inuit, when a seal or caribou was killed, the fat was saved for human consumption (or lamp fuel) and the leaner parts were given to the dogs (or any gullible ‘white guys’ in the party). Farther to the south, when a spring buffalo (i.e., one that had yet to rebuild body fat reserves after the winter) was killed on the Great Plains, the humans ate the tongue, liver, and marrow. These tissues tended to retain their fat content even during periods of privation. The lean meat was either dried (to serve as an emergency food source) or fed to the dogs. This differential partitioning of the kill actually makes a lot of sense, as a dog’s metabolism is much more tolerant of a high protein intake than is that of a human.
From: Phinney, Stephen; Volek, Jeff (2011-07-08). The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable (Kindle Locations 383-388). Beyond Obesity LLC. Kindle Edition.

On the other hand, I was thinking the other day, for the rest of us (who don't eat organ meat) is eating vegetables and maybe fruits enough to make up for it? Are vegetables a good substitute for organ meat? I personally don't think so. If anything, vegetables contain a lot of anti-nutrients that can interfere with the absorption of nutrients. But I can't seem to make myself eat organ meat, either.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 03-18-2014 at 11:03 AM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Good info misti! I agree on a no to the vegetables. I can't see myself eating organ meats either, that's why I take supplements!
Old 03-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Weird that you put that quote since I just read that couple of minutes ago (just started reading the book).

I don't like the idea of spending money of supplements if I don't need them. I'd rather first have a confirmation that I'm lacking something and need a change. I recently saw a documentary on vitamins and minerals and they made a good argument that most purchasing of supplements are a waste of money. Perhaps time for a blood test.

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 03-18-2014 at 11:34 AM..
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I'm working from memory, so I could be wrong, but I recall that when first reading Dr. Atkins (about 40 years ago!), he recommended a daily multi-vitamin for anyone eating low carb to lose weight.

Personally, I have taken a daily multi-vitamin for at least the past 10 years because I need to limit my eating to an extent that I know I can't provide all necessary vitamins and minerals any other way. In fact, I've even had to add a separate dose of D3 because lab tests showed a deficiency which, according to my doctors, is practically impossible to remedy with diet alone.

In eating, my focus is totally on getting my necessary minimum of protein and limiting my carbs. Beyond that, I rely on my vitamin supplements.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Geiri, check out Naked Calories. He talks about how most vitamins have to fight for the same pathways. Making them mostly ineffective. But, he really shows how it's impossible to get all the vitamins and minerals you need from food alone.

And yes Leo, Dr. Atkins did recommend vitamins. In fact he wrote the Vita-Nutrient Soultion. It's been a long time since I've read it, but I'm pretty sure that was the title.