Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 117/112
WOE: Ketosis/Mod Fat
Carbs, ketosis, aging

Hi Everyone. Took some pics this vacation and here is what I noticed.

Puffier face? I think it was the diet soda, low fat dressings and sugarfree gum? I seem to not tolerate much of anything not processed. Also, had some hummus ( eek!).

I looked at pics when I was strictly under 20 g carbs, ate more beef ( gf) and did not have any sugarfree anything. I looked 10000 times healthier despite I was eating more fat and beef. Now, I still cant do dairy, but I am convinced that my body just works better on a very low carb diet.

Also, even chicken that I know might not be natural makes me puffier as well.

YAY! so glad I am learning this.. I am wondering if the sea salt is contributing to puffy as well.

Any thoughts??

Tomorrow, I am going to watch all carbs, even veggies-- to see how I feel by the end of the day. This might explain why I have been tired and not thinking clearly. Maybe I need more FAT!
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
How are your thyroid levels? Puffiness, especially in the face, can be a low-thyroid symptom. Also thinning hair, especially the outer third of the eyebrows. And dry skin, cold hands & feet, sluggish metabolism, fatigue.

Just a thought - hypothyroid can develop at any time even for low-carbers.
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Ketosis, Aging, Fat, ALL

OK, I posted in the main forum, butt I think I needed to post it here. I am what on vacation and took some pics. Yikes. I need to do something about my puffy face. So, I was trying to figure out what has changed since dy the other pics I took from last vacation

Been eating more sugarfree products, diet soda and gum, low fat dressings.

not enough beef... I think my body must need the fat 'and omega 3t's.
salt? Need to make sure I am having sea salt.
Rest!!!! I am in Vegas now.. for 3 days. Going to try and do a major detox with low low carb. I definitely have been going over 20g.

This low fat plan is not .working, obviously. Been tired and feeling very puffy, bloated.

Lastly, I am not going to let AGE determine my health.i People keep saying...well, y ou are getting older and this is what happens, but I feel like if I start accepting this, then that is just negative. I want to be healthy and happy! I have been told that no matter what I eat, I will gain weight and lose energy in aging. Am I only the only one who believes that low carb can help this process???
Old 03-16-2014, 10:47 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

My apologies for the terrible spelling and grammar, my keyboard is not working properly. lol....and I think my brain needs the fats! I forgot to post than in the last post.

Chicken seems to be not working with me either everytime I eat it, I feel stlike it just sits in my stomach. I am going to stick to fish unless I can get some grass fed beef.

Thanks for listening, friends.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Hi. Ty for reply... I just had thyroid checked 2 months ago. Dr said it was great. But... I was eating more fat then. Hair- too much just had to get it thinned because its out of control and big! Lol

Is that you in pic? I love your hair and you look like a model.

I tried lowering fat because I felt like I was gaining but I think it was all the oil and trying butter.. So maybe if I stick to animal fats I will be ok and just olive oil? That seems to be the only fat my body can tolerate. But.. I do miss kerrygold butter.

I really appreciate that you wrote something. I am going to figure this out
Old 03-16-2014, 11:04 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Just to be cautious.. I am wondering how to prevent hypothyroid?
Old 03-17-2014, 05:16 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/180/135 (19-Aug)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Enjoy your vacation and when you get back, get settled into the right rhythm. Look forward to hearing how it went!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:36 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
You may be interested to know that a low carb woe prevents much glycation that a standard diet allows. Glycation is a big part of what makes us age. Just google the AGES for an explanation. Low carb can be the virtual fountain of youth!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Is that you in pic? I love your hair and you look like a model.
No, that's not me! It's Milla Jovovich, an actress and model. In the pic, she's playing Leeloo from the movie The 5th Element. I do wish I looked like her!

I'm glad you're on top of your thyroid levels. I think doctors are better about screening for it now. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything you can do to prevent hypothyroid. Mine is caused by an autoimmune condition called Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

But maybe some other folks will have ideas.
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the inspiration. I needed to hear this.. doing better after I stopped overeating on veggies. I also think the probiotic might not be the best thing for me.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Hi peace! It is good you are figuring this out. We are all different, that's for sure. No one thing works for everyone. One thing you can do to help prevent thyroid issues is no soy, of any kind or form.

I had a minor thyroid issue, for years. Suddenly it quit working at all. I blame the soy from MediFast. After reading some of Barry Groves' book, I can trace just about every problem back to soy. Hope things are going better for you!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Snowangel- thanks so much for making me smile. I feel better today. NO soy! I think that the little tofu I tried here and there, plus soybean oil in some of those funky dressings. I have a lot of nutrition books to order- Art and Science of LC living, Barry Groves and Atkins. I just have to wait until I have some money.

So... I am really learning so much about myself on this trip. This vacation was more about me calming down and really tuning into my body. I wonder about this probiotic.. seems I have been a little off with it, but it could be the other junk.

Lastly, I remember when I stopped eating egg whites, I felt less bloated as well. I mean, maybe now and then, but again, I don't think they are good for my body on a daily basis.

looks like I am heading to get more gf beef and wild fish when I get back home. I finally stayed under 20 g today in carbs and feel a TON better. maybe this is my cutoff point and I need to ACCEPT it. Thank you for support!!! this means more than you know.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:43 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/180/135 (19-Aug)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Hi Peace - quite a few of these books are available at libraries. If checked out, perhaps your local library will allow you to order it and get notified when available - I've done this in the past with my local library.

Also, Amazon has a reseller section where you can often buy a book for as low as 0.01 and pay 3.99 shipping for a total of 4.00. Obviously not Art and Science (newer and more expensive), but maybe some of the older Atkins books.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: way too much/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Lastly, I am not going to let AGE determine my health.i People keep saying...well, y ou are getting older and this is what happens, but I feel like if I start accepting this, then that is just negative. I want to be healthy and happy! I have been told that no matter what I eat, I will gain weight and lose energy in aging. Am I only the only one who believes that low carb can help this process???
Well, I believe it can. True, we are getting older but I won't accept what everybody says as truth until I have to. Fact is, I never did everything I could have done to make me a better 25 y.o. and I don't really feel much different so I'm doing it now.
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:16 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Just a note on the 'normal' thyroid. I've been told all my life that I have a normal thyroid...despite having all of the symptoms of hypothyroid. Since I've struggled with major hypoglycemia from my teens, obesity and then diabetes in the last 10 years, I just accepted their diagnosis that I was overweight and out of shape and that's why I had all the 'symptoms' of hypothyroid...including losing the outer third of both eyebrows in this last decade.

My sister went to a naturopath who told her that *many* women are misdiagnosed as normal thyroid because they only test the TSH. Hers tested the free T3, free T4 and for two antibodies TPOab and Tgab. She was diagnosed with Hashimotos.

Since my diabetes has been controlled for about a year and I'm no longer overweight...but still have all the signs of hypothyroid, I decided to go get the tests. Bingo. I hate that I have this condition, but it's sure nice to know, finally, why I've suffered from all these problems for decades (which have only gotten worse in the last decade).

So just throwing it out there that if they only did a TSH, it's really not enough to know whether you do or don't have a thyroid problem.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:23 AM   #16
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Another issue is that the ranges are changing. Had they been what they are now, I would have been diagnosed years ago.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:57 AM   #17
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Melody-

As someone who was told for over 5 years that she wasn't hypothyroid (and I am!), the problem really isn't the fact that many doctors only test TSH because, in fact, the TSH is a very earlier indicator of hypothyroid. The problem is the many, many doctors don't have a clue about interpreting thyroid results.

For example, it's quite a few years since the national group of endos asked for a change in the 'high number' TSH for thyroid issues. It used to be anything above 5.0, but it's now 3.0. Yet many labs and most doctors still see any number below 5.0 as 'normal.' Moreover. a good thyroid doctor (and they are rare) will always treat symptoms in combination with lab results, so that anyone with significant symptoms and a TSH above 2.0 will get further testing.

You also have to keep in mind that hypothyroid symptoms are generally vague and can mimic other issues, many minor. My own primary kept calling my escalating symptoms 'normal aging,' and it was difficult to argue otherwise--until they got so severe that I knew something was wrong. My 21-year-old niece was recently diagnosed as hypo because her TSH was 13 on a basic physical exam. Yes, she had symptoms, but they were so vague that no one really connected the dots until that TSH.

Another necessary clarification is that Hashimoto's is a disease; hypothyroid is a condition. Doctors treat hypothyroid, not Hashi's. Most people are diagnosed when they are already hypothyroid, but it's possible to get a Hashi's diagnosis early on and not yet have a slowed thyroid. In that case, there's no treatment.

Most doctors don't want to prescribe Rx until absolutely necessary because once you begin supplemental hormones, it's for life.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:05 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Leo,
Thanks for the info. A friend of mine gave me a couple books to read as I'm just beginning my education about the thyroid. I've always been told I was 'borderline' normal. I'm guessing that with the new 'standards', I would have been diagnosed with hypothyroid many years ago. I'm not sure where I'm going yet with this as I am just overwhelmed with all the info on treatment. Think I'll go hang out on the thyroid forum for awhile.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Mel- sorry for the issues. I am fine and no hashi's or thyroid issues, but thanks for the concerns. I have been tested for all.. and honestly, if I start "thinking" I have a condition when I don't, it might be worse for me with food. I just focus on how I feel right now and so far so good.

Sometimes, TOO much information can be toxic when I am in this health field.

However, I do appreciate you and Leo's feedback on the post. I am really glad you are doing well and moving forward despite the health related issues.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I hope I did not offend anyone-- it was all in good intentions to focus on the positive. I am not dismissing what you have mentioned, in fact, I appreciate the information.

another day under 20 g and feel great.

thanks
Old 03-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
I too was having symptoms of thyroid issues for many years. Probably at least a decade. I was told that my levels were normal, until I found a doctor that knew what he was doing with thyroid issues. I was always within the normal range. Well, you can be in that range and have issues. He diagnosed me with Hashimotos and has been treating m for a few years now. Feeling
much better.
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote