LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cherrytt_too
Stats: 299.5/258/175
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2, 2006
5 months in and struggling on the weekends

In the past few weeks...weekends have been my downfall. I am ON POINT during the work week, but I struggle and eat off plan on the weekends. Not bingeworthy, but just off plan food.

I think I just treat food as fuel during my work week because I'm SO busy. I don't eat much, I'm not really hungry and not a lot of variety (no time to really cook), and with all of the stress and pressures of a recent promotion my weekends feel I like to be 'off' in every sense of the word...I don't want to think about work, what I eat, etc.

I've been on a diet for two weeks and all I've lost is 14 days.
-Totie Fields (1930 - 1978)
cherrytt_too is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
You've described clearly why you struggle with weekends, so it's no mystery and certainly understandable.

However, you have to decide how to deal with this issue. If you truly want to lose weight, you need to find a way to solve this problem for yourself. It may mean finding some other way to de-stress on the weekends, AND also eat consistently throughout the week so that you don't feel deprived and need to reward yourself on the weekend with food.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Hi Kelley! I always struggle when my routine changes. Be it weekends or traveling. Just spent a week in Vegas. We (my DD#3) and I decided we weren't going to use it as an excuse to go off plan. And, we did really well!

Find a routine for your weekend. Why do all that work, all week and then mess up on the weekends? You can do this, you all ready are, 70% of the time. Maybe whittle it down to one day. Then none. Or make some low carb treats that won't derail you. You'll find the sweet spot, be committed.

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
Weekends are harder for me too. I don't eat off plan but I do eat more. My suggestion would be to stock up on some yummy low carb snacks or to try to cook some delicious low carb recipes on the weekend. Make eating low carb fun instead of a chore. Maybe then you wont be tempted by all the carby foods.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
Well I am home now all the time and have to keep projects going at all times so I want be tempted to get off track....My DH and I go on little weekend getaways and we just plan before we go to not make the food the activity of the day...
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JohnAndHisCat
WOE: General low-carb, bit of a Ketogenic focus
Start Date: February 2014
Here's what I do on the weekends. Don't know if this can work for you, but if possible might give it a try.

1. Sleep as late as you can. I typically get up around 10:30, sometimes not until noon. The more you sleep, the less time you have to eat.
2. The fact I get up so late makes me not hungry. After I shower and get out of the house around noon-ish I get a large breve latte (latte made with half-and-half). It's quite satiating. This easily holds me off until dinner. So, on the weekends I end up only eating one meal - dinner.

Last edited by JohnAndHisCat; 03-16-2014 at 07:13 PM..
JohnAndHisCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
Too funny Johnandhiscat, I was going to suggest the opposite.....plan a big low carb brunch to look forward too. It doesn't have to be a lot of work, but make it special with some premium ingredients.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:42 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
weekends. I eat the biggest baddest hugest breakfast! stuffed til way late in the day.
by then I know I made a good day and would never consider jumping on other junk.

stuff yourself with lc foods before temptation and social events hit.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:59 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
I always struggle with overeating on weekends. It's my mentality...I'm good all week long, and tend to indulge two nights on the weekend. I don't eat different foods than during the week, just too much!
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
One of the best pieces of advice I got from a gal on this site was to make low carb treats only on the weekend - just one recipe per week. If I cannot control myself I freeze some or make single servings, but it allows me something to look forward to without going off the rails.

I'm also considering a few meat-only days during the week where I'm essentially fasting and then just consuming fatty protein, as a bit of a built in correction. It's a bit of carb cycling, I suppose. But very doable for me to keep my weight in a maintenance range. It wouldn't work as well for losing, you'd have to be more strict to maintain a bigger deficit, but something like a cycling or fasting plan may help you keep your body happy and your brain, too. Ultimately, whatever you do, Leo is correct that you will have to find some way to mitigate, rein in, or otherwise manage yourself on the weekend so your immediate desires don't drown out your long term goals and keep you spinning your wheels at weight loss.

This looks different for each of us, but it's a battle we all face in some degree

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote