LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Havefaith9
Stats: HW: 217 199.5/188.5/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: April 2014
Question

How long did it take you to "get it"-- to realize low carb eating was doable and would work for you? How many attempts before you got your groove? I need to know I'm not the only one who has tried a dozen recipes that failed and not the only one who ate low carb, lost, then went back to eating the old way. That if I keep at it, one day I can say I lost x amt of pds and am keeping it off bc I love this way of eating. Because right now this way of eating is a lot of cooking and baking special stuff.

Eta: lots of recipes are awesome and I'm incorporating them into my meals regularly.

Last edited by Havefaith9; 03-16-2014 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: Foot in mouth
Havefaith9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/266/195
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 2014
I went low carb 10 years ago. I was living in Japan and working as a English teacher and the person who had the apartment before me left Protein Power behind...I had very little to read there and so I read it and then when I made my next trip home I book DANDR. I became a major convert, lost 60 pounds and was so excited...but deep down I just thought of it as a diet. I fell off the wagon, gained all the weight back plus a lot more and had ups and downs after that trying WWs, SparksPeople, a bit of LC, but never lasting for long and often even on a diet at all. This January I started a regular diet calorie restricted diet, realizing I was hitting a dangerous point of no return. I felt just awful and realized the the health side effects of being overweight were really catching up to me...and that my reliance on sugary drinks had become like a drug addiction. I lost 20 pounds, but I could feel I was going to break after a few weeks and thought I would take a low calorie break and do a few weeks of low carb. It was like a miracle! I felt so much better and it hit me like a tonne of bricks. I couldn't handle carbs, would never be able to eat carbs, and had to accept that this was a like being celiac or having an allergy, and I just had to be LCHF forever. I had it right in Japan, but my mistake was in convincing myself it was just another way for me to lose weight. Let's be honest...LCHF IS a lot more cooking, and isn't always as delicious or easy as carb eating. These points allowed me to convince myself that I was better off on low cal. I know it has only been a few weeks this time, but I feel more committed to this diet than I have ever felt to any before...I don't even see it as a "lifestyle change" as dieters like to call their diets, but a medically necessary WOE for me. I am finding more and more ways to make this WOE easy and delicious, but it is something that requires effort! I honestly feel like I am saving my own life with this.

I am sorry that was so long...but I believe that failed recipes (I have had a few of those too!) and whatnot are a part of this but will ultimately lead to a place where it is second nature. I guess the point I was trying to make (and could have made in fewer words) was that for me, my "get it" moment was when I realized this was the only diet that would work for my metabolism and body type and that meant I had to make it doable and enjoyable. I accept that for people who aren't metabolically damaged, there are a lots of healthy ways to eat, but I am not one of those people!
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wigglesmom
Stats: 232~232~162
Start Date: Every day
Looking forward to reading the answer to this question by those who have adopted and have been committed to this lifestyle for a long time.

I know all the time and energy to commit to this lifestyle is truly the best thing to do for your health but sometimes it's just so hard. I know I am good for coming up with every excuse in the book. My number one excuse is that I'm the only one in my house who will eat LC. I need to get past that excuse and if my family doesn't want what I cook, there's the cereal cabinet or PB&J.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I lost all my weight eating low carb and have maintained my loss for almost 4 years, continuing to eat low carb. I am very carb sensitive, so I eat this way for overall health in addition to weight management.

However, I don't find it at all difficult, and I really can't relate to 'baking special stuff.' I tend to eat whole, simple foods, and find preparation relatively easy. This may be because I don't seek 'subs' for high-carb foods that I used to eat. I've simply changed how and what I eat, and I ignore everything else.

What IS challenging is that it's important to always be prepared, to know that you have foods available that you can eat so that you're not tempted by fast food or take out. I always know at least 24 hours in advance what I'll eat the next day to be sure that I have my food available. Usually I plan a week at a time and shop accordingly.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alex57
Leo, I have enjoy your comments over the years. I have finally awaken to the fact that plain and simple is the way to go.

I was one who bought all those special ingredients, made new dishes, (usually the baked goods variety), and found myself going nowhere.

Yesterday I restarted, after about a years absence, and am zeroing in on the '72 Atkins plan. Plain and simple. Perhaps it is because I am in my mid-seventies, by myself and cooking isn't the center of life anymore, I feel this way will suit me. Besides needing to shed some weight, I must watch my glucose, don't want to be a type 2 diabetic.

To the original poster, yes it sometimes takes awhile, but we can eventually "get it". Wishing you success.
alex57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/204.6/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
Oh about 10 years LOL, I have PCOS so am insulin resistant and have been told by Dr's for years to go low carb. I finally have gotten the hint now that I have high blood pressure and such, so am back on the plan. I lost 70# back in 2004 and want to do that again.
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I have had times over the last two years where I spent large amounts of time in the kitchen cooking up substitutes for high carb foods. I don't do that very much anymore. I still do make something nice, like a LC cake or something on occasion though. The one thing that I have been baking lately are the oopsie rolls because they are so easy and very low carb. I can have it for breakfast as a biscuit or a bun for a hamburger and makes life so much sweeter. Much of the time now I just keep it simple and eat meats, cheese, eggs and fat. It's so much more simple that way and I don't spend tons of time in the kitchen..well, except for making food for the rest of my family.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetA
Stats: 185/155/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart January 2014
This WOE will become second nature faster if you stop trying to find substitutes for high carb foods, as others have mentioned. I wasted too much energy making foods that were "like" bread, or "like" pasta, or "like" potatoes. I am always looking for ways to be less obsessed about food. You can go from being obsessed about your next thing to eat, to being obsessed over how many carbs you're racking up. That is a tough habit to break. Coming here really helps me stay on track.
JanetA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: afurrything
Stats: 240/177/135 5'3"
Start Date: October 2010
I don't really use any recipes to taste like, or be like higher carb foods. I just eat real food. Pretty simple stuff.
Breakfast is usually bacon or sausage and eggs.
Lunch is always naked wings w/franks.
Dinner is usually some veggie and some type of meat or chicken.
My one splurge I eat about once a week is an Atkins treat.

Snacks are usually hb eggs, cheese, more chicken wings.
afurrything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Let's see...bought Atkins book when it came out in 1972. Easily lost 30 pounds (and then motivation)...repeat until January 2013 when I started following Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution which is like Atkins induction with a few more rules.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetA View Post
This WOE will become second nature faster if you stop trying to find substitutes for high carb foods,
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havefaith9 View Post
How long did it take you to "get it"-- to realize low carb eating was doable and would work for you?
Hi Hf...

First drop of 2" in a waist line (I'm a guy)…in fairly short order…without starving.

ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I went low carb about 10 years ago and went from 220 pounds to around 170. I went from a size 18 to a tight size 12. I was also exercising a lot. I then realized that I could have an occasional cheat and still maintain. Eventually teh occasional cheat became frequent. I twisted my ankle and the exercise stopped. Before I knew it, I was back to my lousy way of eating and I gained it all back plus 20 pounds.

In June of 2010, I decided to try it again. I do take a few days off here and there, but I eat low carb most of the time. I am down to 143ish and am in a size 8. I could probably lose more if I was hard core low carb, but I don't want to make this feel like a diet.

I do feel that this is a lifestyle change for me. I choose to not give up my favorite carby foods permanently. I just choose to limit my carby treats to special occasions and to make sure that if I am going to endulge in a carby meal, it is going to be something I really like. I can easily reject that store bought cake being pushed on me today, because I will have one I like even better in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: afurrything
Stats: 240/177/135 5'3"
Start Date: October 2010
I think it was 3 or so years from my first low carb try to the next time when I got it. I've been pretty much low carb for 4 years now, lost 80 lbs and maintained it, then with some med changes I gained 20 lbs so I am back to induction for awhile to get things back under control.

I can do this for life.
afurrything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:14 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I am like Leo and alex.

I also was 'trying' to make lc into the old food dishes that I made.

I fought for subs at every turn.

I also realize simple, basic is best! Duh.

but I did find some great subs that work well into my lc life and it made me more in tune with sticking long term to the plan.

The less I truly think about it, the better I do on lc.

I also have food planned constantly. Chicken in the fridge. Pepperoni in the fridge.
salad stuff in the drawer. very important.

cause when you have lc options, when you are starved, you might jump on anything. but then you say to yourself, I have the lc food, eat it keeps one honest in their own head ya know.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:37 AM   #16
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
It took me years to get it.

I like that I can make myself foods that are 'special' and similiar to my old way of eating but I rarely make them (except oopsies) because I don't crave them or think they are necessary. I love the way I eat and never feel deprived. I always think I have traded up in my food choices. I will take bacon and eggs over toast with low fat spread and a piece of GMO fruit any day.

The key for me was understanding that weight is just one of the issues when it comes to diet. Sure, weight loss is great but so is the absence of pain, digestive issues and the long list of other benefits. These have been important to me in loving my woe.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/189/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
I have to agree with those posting that simple foods, not special recipes, are the key to success.

I "got it" 10 years ago, the first time I did Atkins DANDR and lost 70 pounds. I tried quite a few recipes back then, but didn't go crazy and steadily lost the weight. Unfortunately, I was only at my lowest weight for a couple of months before it started creeping back up. In fits and starts, and MANY attempts at returning to low-carb, I eventually re-gained all my lost weight, plus a few more pounds.

This time, I am keeping it very, very, very simple. My meals are mostly a serving of protein along with a big salad with homemade full-fat dressing. I eat cooked vegetables at dinner sometimes, too.

Personally, I think I do better and will be able to stick to LC better if I eat simply the vast majority of the time. Then when I indulge, I indulge in real foods. This is rare though.

The special foods can, I think, perpetuate the desire to snack and to eat desserts. I'm talking about flax muffins, coconut oil candies, oopsie rolls, egg creams, LC breads, etc. Even cheese can be a problem for me. For me, snacky foods and desserts can only be rare treats, not daily or weekly indulgences, or I will eat too much of them and not lose.

Snacking and desserts are just bad habits that I need to avoid.

leeloo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:11 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/122/130 BMI=20.9
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Wow, I hear myself in all of your stories. I agree with all of it and have finally figured out that this is a WOE and a WOL. I use to think I could lose the weight and eat like those other carb-eating people. Finally realized it wasn't going to happen after many many failed attempts -- okay I'm a SLOW learner -- but I AIN'T no Quitter!

Oh I can lose the weight (have lost tons over the years and put it back on). But one thing I failed to do with all of those attempts was I forgot to finish the rest of the plan -- I never went to CCLM. That's where I am now. Finding the "sweet spot" between number of carbs and kcals I can eat daily without gaining/losing weight.

I want to come in here next year and the next (like many of you who have kept the weight off for years -- who are truly an inspiration for all of us) and say yeah, I've been doing this WOE for X number of years and I've succeed in keeping it off. That's my goal. TMI?

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a diet,
It’s my salvation, my key to being
Healthy, happy and thinner!”
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:37 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
It has taken me years to really get it... I'm finally there! I feel happy eating this way for the first time and even though my losses aren't fast, I can see my results. My health issues are slowly clearing up too, so that's motivation enough to stay the course.

I love eating this way, and although I do bake occasionally, I don't make a habit out of it. I eat simple foods, and make more fancy stuff on weekends or when I have time and inspiration.

LC has been a long journey with lots of ups and downs for me but I'm finally certain that this is the only way to eat for me. I used to feel left out or a party pooper by eating LC, but not anymore. It's my choice to do something for ME. I don't let other opinions derail me anymore.

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

UK/European LCF Hangout: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-1-2014-a.html
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:10 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: 30 day whole food challenge
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
I don't know if I'm the right person to answer this, because I am not truly low-carb right now, just sugar/wheat/grain-free...but, with respect to that, it was when I realized that eating that way was the only way I could keep up the energy for a very busy schedule, and that it increased my quality of life a lot.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:21 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 117/112
WOE: Ketosis/Mod Fat
I started 14 yrs ago when diagnosed with celiac. I have gained some weight/loss weight but I am 5'4 and never was the real purpose about weight... More health reasons. That being said, I have lost weight when I really accept that it's ok to eat this way. I have tried to incorporate other foods that are low carb but I keep it as natural as possible because I feel better this way!y body can't handle nor can my mind... Anything but meat and veggies. So I just work what I have
Peace is online now   Reply With Quote