Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: afurrything
Stats: 240/177/135 5'3"
Start Date: October 2010
My daughter is taking me out for dinner

next Saturday for my birthday. I really want to go for Mexican but it will probably be easiest and best if I take the easy way out and go for steak. Maybe Ruby Tuesday for steak and salad bar.
I know it will be hard to resist a drink. I am a margarita girl! How far back will that set me? Luckily I'm ot huge into sweets os resisting dessert will be pretty easy.
afurrything is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/202 @ 5'7" size 7X/14W age 55 (-246#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by afurrything View Post
next Saturday for my birthday. I really want to go for Mexican but it will probably be easiest and best if I take the easy way out and go for steak. Maybe Ruby Tuesday for steak and salad bar.
I know it will be hard to resist a drink. I am a margarita girl! How far back will that set me? Luckily I'm ot huge into sweets os resisting dessert will be pretty easy.
How about googling the restaurant and checking out the menu?
Applebee's has skinny 90 cal margaritas that are low carb, and I even ordered a quesadilla hamburger, and just ate 1/4 of the 2 tortillas they used for the sandwich! As I recall it was 43 grams of carbs total in the burger, so eating 1/4 of it kept me in plan and gave me the taste I craved.....

Last edited by Dirty Harriet; 03-15-2014 at 06:07 PM..
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:09 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
When I get Mexican, I get fajitas and skip the sides like the rice and tortilla wraps and chips. I still eat the refried beans, because that is a major weakness for me.

At Ruby Tuesday, I get a steak and lobster tail with the salad bar. You can buy low carb maragrita drink mixes. Maybe you can have one of them waiting for you at home instead?

Both places usually cause me to gain a couple of pounds for a day or so, but it comes off pretty fast.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

MMMM last year we did go for Mexican and I got fajitas with chicken, beef and shrimp, but ate the tortillas. I guess I could try to skip them.

I'm not sure she would do Applebees, she doesn't like most chain restaurants and going to Ruby Tuesday would be a stretch.

I still have a couple days to think about it
Old 03-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/215/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I eat Mexican at least once per week. I eat the meat out of the chicken fajitas and I make a salad with the lettuce, pico, sour cream, and guac. I tell them to leave off the rice and beans.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:51 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Update
They took me to one of their favorite places, Pastaria! They were afraid to tell me the name of it before we went for obvious reasons. I felt like such a stick in the mud there.
First off all I would drink was water.
Not eating any pasta cut off about 95% of the menu. They had a lot of salads but most had bread crumbs in them, and cheese and fruit and by the time I omitted everything I can't eat, I would have had a bowl of naked lettuce.
They had roasted chicken quarter, so I got that. It was probably brined in something I shouldn't have eaten, but I didn't want to seem like a total ***** so I had to get something.
The chicken came with fingerling potatoes, which I didn't get and subbed roasted broccoli and it was delicious! So delicious I bought a bottle of their olive oil.
I denied myself any kind of birthday sweet. They even had birthday cake there and in store made gelato! But I was good and didn't have any.

My one splurge this weekend, I drank a Diet Pepsi. Other than that I hadn't had any since Tuesday. I didn't buy any for me at the grocery. I also had some blue cheese dressing with my chicken wings yesterday, I had just a little left in the jar and decided to finish it off and get rid of the jar. No other dairy for several days.

I'm getting there. Eating cleaner every day. Oh and the other day my son told me my hands looked skeletal! I'll take that as a good thing
Old 03-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: e&m'smom
Quote:
Originally Posted by afurrything View Post
Update
They took me to one of their favorite places, Pastaria! They were afraid to tell me the name of it before we went for obvious reasons. I felt like such a stick in the mud there.
First off all I would drink was water.
Not eating any pasta cut off about 95% of the menu. They had a lot of salads but most had bread crumbs in them, and cheese and fruit and by the time I omitted everything I can't eat, I would have had a bowl of naked lettuce.
They had roasted chicken quarter, so I got that. It was probably brined in something I shouldn't have eaten, but I didn't want to seem like a total ***** so I had to get something.
The chicken came with fingerling potatoes, which I didn't get and subbed roasted broccoli and it was delicious! So delicious I bought a bottle of their olive oil.
I denied myself any kind of birthday sweet. They even had birthday cake there and in store made gelato! But I was good and didn't have any.

My one splurge this weekend, I drank a Diet Pepsi. Other than that I hadn't had any since Tuesday. I didn't buy any for me at the grocery. I also had some blue cheese dressing with my chicken wings yesterday, I had just a little left in the jar and decided to finish it off and get rid of the jar. No other dairy for several days.

I'm getting there. Eating cleaner every day. Oh and the other day my son told me my hands looked skeletal! I'll take that as a good thing

OK, it was YOUR birthday and they took you to THEIR favorite place?? I'm sorry, but I think that's a pretty rude thing to do to you. They know you are LC and they take you to to a place that is 95% pasta?? I'm baffled and very sorry you had to 'settle'. How for their birthdays you pick an amazing steak restaurant where each steak is smothered in herbed butter and served with a side of roasted broccoli and cauliflower with a starter of the most amazing caesar salad you've ever had ?
e&m'smom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:53 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e&m'smom View Post
OK, it was YOUR birthday and they took you to THEIR favorite place?? I'm sorry, but I think that's a pretty rude thing to do to you. They know you are LC and they take you to to a place that is 95% pasta?? I'm baffled and very sorry you had to 'settle'. How for their birthdays you pick an amazing steak restaurant where each steak is smothered in herbed butter and served with a side of roasted broccoli and cauliflower with a starter of the most amazing caesar salad you've ever had ?
I know. I felt bad for them and tried to make it less uncomfortable than it was. And it really was.
I'm pretty easy going and tried to make the best of it. I'm always just wanted everyone to be happy.

I couldn't eat caesar salad though since there's parmesan in the dressing and I'm not doing dairy. They had a kale salad there but it had caeser dressing on it.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Quote:
Agree, esp if they were unhappy that you were being a "stick in the mud." You've lost a lot of weight and you have dietary restrictions.
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
Afurrything, if I were you I would treat myself to a do-over and go somewhere I wanted to go and eat something really yummy. What a ripoff for your birthday. hard to believe.
LindaSL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSL View Post
Afurrything, if I were you I would treat myself to a do-over and go somewhere I wanted to go and eat something really yummy. What a ripoff for your birthday. hard to believe.
Next time I go out with them and they ask where I want to go, I'm going to pick somewhere! I usually say, It doesn't matter.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Silverlynx35
Stats: 285/260/185
WOE: Low Carb/No Sugar
Start Date: February 2014
Quote:
I tend to agree but their hearts were in the right place. It's so tricky with this WOE. If you were Alcoholic, it would be obvious (usually) to those close to you, that they don't take you to a bar. Most people who aren't making the eating choices we make don't consider it important.

My dad was visiting this weekend and wanted to go to McDonalds. I was fine getting a small McNuggets, but he got a burger and fries. He offered me fries 3 times. Each time I turned him down, he said "Oh, right. Sorry." But he still kept offering I don't get upset because he is just trying to be courteous.
Silverlynx35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Oh my! Well, you did great anyway. And by the way, wanting to go to a place where you can have some choices for your own birthday is NOT being a stick-in-the-mud. Jeez.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
This may not work for you but this is what I do when I go to an Italian restaurant. I order something like Chicken Alfredo and ask them for them to use veggies instead of pasta. So generally I have Chicken Alfredo over broccoli (which you said they have) or over a squash (usually they have zucchini in my experience.) I've done it at tons of restaurants and it's great! not too far off plan and I don't get wheat bloat. ugh. I suppose you can have a red sauce over veggies too (if their sauce isn't real sweet).

webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

They didn't have anything alfredo. This was some super fancy place that I couldn't even read 3/4 of what was on the menu.
Chitarra al Pomodoro
Canestri Cacio e Pepe
Pappardelle

And it goes on like that.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
yea I went and looked and Canestri Cacio e Pepe has a cheesey type sauce (two types of good melted cheeses not cheap kind). Might have been able to use that. But I hear you - it didn't have much (although the salmon's made me hungry now lol) ... what a bummer for your birthday. But on the bright side you now know you can withstand serious temptation
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

It was really extra hard since I've just cut dairy out. So nothing with cheese or cream sauces.
I know they really wanted to share this place with me, and I felt bad for them. I think in the circumstances it turned out fine. Plus they bought me a bottle of fancy olive oil there and it's so good!
Old 03-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 40 pounds down, 108 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
I love your pug av Afurry. We have a pug also. Love the breed.
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof7 View Post
I love your pug av Afurry. We have a pug also. Love the breed.
Thank you! That is my heart. Miss Gloria G. Spoiled rotten.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:01 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
I think you could still do the fajita thing just skip tortillas and get extra low carb everything else! focus on the what you choose to have for your health
Peace is online now   Reply With Quote