Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I think my scale is drunk (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/825984-i-think-my-scale-drunk.html)

afurrything 03-15-2014 02:18 PM

I think my scale is drunk

I weighed myself for the first time last night since last Sunday and it says I gained 12 lbs! Is it even possible to gain 12 lbs in 5 days????
I've been eating so good all week. No Atkins treats. Only good real food. I still haven't cut dairy out, but did cut back on it a lot.
I've decided my scale is wonky and maybe I need a new one.
Any recommendations for a decent scale at a good price?

Arctic_Mama 03-15-2014 02:25 PM

If it is electronic do replace the batteries before pitching it. That solves many error issues right there. Beyond that, my tanita electric scale is fabulous, accurate, and the price isn't bad, either.

afurrything 03-15-2014 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama (Post 16838098)
If it is electronic do replace the batteries before pitching it. That solves many error issues right there. Beyond that, my tanita electric scale is fabulous, accurate, and the price isn't bad, either.

I'll try replacing the batteries, see if that helps. Then check into a new one.

cprcheetah 03-15-2014 03:17 PM

My scale varies depending on where I put it, I have rugs in my bathroom so I put it right outside in the hallway, if I put it in the middle of the doorway it seems to be closest to the Dr's Scales otherwise it can be +/- 5-10# on the left of the doorway or the right of the doorway. I had a scale that was weighing me heavy and I changed batteries and it was better. My hubby has a scale that weighs heavier weights (he's 450#) and it is about 5-10# less than the scale I use. So every scale can vary.

afurrything 03-15-2014 03:18 PM

We have Pergo in the living room, where I keep my scale, and it seems pretty flat and even in here. Going to change the batteries, but I don't have the right size right now :sad:

Willgirl 03-16-2014 03:42 AM

A few years ago (not while eating LCHF), I came back from a week long trip to Colombia and when I stepped on the scale I was delighted to discover that I had lost a lot of weight. I wasn't really surprised because I had done a lot of walking, hiking, and swimming and had caught a stomache bug from drinking bad water. I was convinced that bug was lingering as I kept losing weight for two weeks no matter what I ate...pounds just kept dropping like magic. I knew I should visit the doctor but didn't want to because I was enjoying the magical weight loss and I didn't feel too bad. Then I became a bit suspicious because it didn't feel like I had lost so much weight and the speed of it seemed unrealistic, foreign parasite or no...plus I knew if I was losing that fast I really needed to go to the doctor for a strong course of something. I changed the batteries in my scale, weighed myself and all the weight came back like magic in one depressing weigh in and I felt like a total fool....especially because I know I probably did lose a few pounds in Colombia but put them back on when I thought I was losing the weight due a magical stomach bug that let me eat anything. The moral of the story is...scales can most definitely lie.

grneyedldy 03-16-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willgirl (Post 16838518)
A few years ago (not while eating LCHF), I came back from a week long trip to Colombia and when I stepped on the scale I was delighted to discover that I had lost a lot of weight. I wasn't really surprised because I had done a lot of walking, hiking, and swimming and had caught a stomache bug from drinking bad water. I was convinced that bug was lingering as I kept losing weight for two weeks no matter what I ate...pounds just kept dropping like magic. I knew I should visit the doctor but didn't want to because I was enjoying the magical weight loss and I didn't feel too bad. Then I became a bit suspicious because it didn't feel like I had lost so much weight and the speed of it seemed unrealistic, foreign parasite or no...plus I knew if I was losing that fast I really needed to go to the doctor for a strong course of something. I changed the batteries in my scale, weighed myself and all the weight came back like magic in one depressing weigh in and I felt like a total fool....especially because I know I probably did lose a few pounds in Colombia but put them back on when I thought I was losing the weight due a magical stomach bug that let me eat anything. The moral of the story is...scales can most definitely lie.

While appreciating the point of the story, I also got a big giggle. Thx :rofl:

The mind wants to believe what it wants to believe. :)

Flutter 03-18-2014 11:53 AM

Scales are evil. Period. I have such a love/hate thing with mine. Hang in there, OP. Definitely change the batteries and then do NOT let that evil thing plague you anymore! It's just a number. Keep up the good work!

Cudabear 03-18-2014 12:13 PM

Let us know how this works our for you Furry!

Arctic_Mama 03-18-2014 01:36 PM

Yes! What was the verdict? Batteries, malfunction, or real gain?

afurrything 03-18-2014 01:57 PM

Haven't had a chance to get new batteries yet. I don't drive. I'm going out this weekend and will get some then and will update. I'm slightly scared because it hasn't been a good eating week, but I need to face the scale!

snowdancer79 03-18-2014 05:51 PM

I use a rotary scale. I hate my Taylor that takes batteries. I can step on it 10 times and get 10 vastly different readings. I'll take my slightly vintage scale any day. I don't think it's much less accurate than an electronic, and if you are feeling a little bloated, I just turn it a tiny by past zero (negative), and it makes my morning brighter.

JohnAndHisCat 03-18-2014 07:37 PM

Get a non-electric scale. Problem solved. ;)

afurrything 03-29-2014 05:09 PM

Ok I finally got batteries, dug the scale out from under the sofa, weighed myself and I want to cry. I weighed 184. I don't know why I am gaining! I am right in the middle of TOM, but I don't know if that would really make a difference.
I see my dr on Thursday, I'm going to see what her scale says and see if it's me or my scale. Kinda praying it's my scale otherwise I don't know what to do. I've cut out dairy, I've cut out diet soda. I'm eating 3 strict meals a day. I guess the next thing to cut would be calories, but I'm not sure I won't go crazy with that. I have bulimia and anorexia in my background. :sad:
With it being TOM I did eat 1 pc of low carb bread last night and Atkins M&Ms today so maybe that's what it was.

OH and I'm not gaining muscle, I'm lazy like a slug.
I don't measure inches, maybe I should. I can not keep my jeans up at all. I thought for sure I would see a great number of the scale.

cprcheetah 03-29-2014 05:59 PM

I gain 5-10 pounds every month with TOM, so yes it is possible. Definitely measure if you are not. I wasn't losing weight but lost 5" in 2 weeks.

afurrything 03-29-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cprcheetah (Post 16855479)
I gain 5-10 pounds every month with TOM, so yes it is possible. Definitely measure if you are not. I wasn't losing weight but lost 5" in 2 weeks.

I'm going to wait for my dr appt, then I'll get an accurate weight and I'll start measuring then. :)

webcrystal 03-29-2014 06:19 PM

Well I almost always got a whoosh of loss after mine so you might want to wait and see.

Once you weigh at the docs if you weigh almost immediately after then you can get a baseline of where your scale is compared to his. But generally even if yours if off from his yours should still correctly give you your lost weight numbers.

Cudabear 03-31-2014 09:09 AM

I just gained 5lbs with TOM, so hold out for a few days..
Also just a side note - those Atkins candies contain Sugar Alcohols which can cause major stalls in people, maybe take them out?!

afurrything 03-31-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cudabear (Post 16857418)
I just gained 5lbs with TOM, so hold out for a few days..
Also just a side note - those Atkins candies contain Sugar Alcohols which can cause major stalls in people, maybe take them out?!

I usually only eat them once a week or even less, but with it being TOM I was craving chocolate. So stereotypical :annoyed:

Cudabear 03-31-2014 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Haha.. So true.. I always go for spicy foods.
Love the pug by the way :) - I have a Pug/Boston Terror
Attachment 53632

BringOnTheLard 04-01-2014 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afurrything (Post 16855445)
OH and I'm not gaining muscle, I'm lazy like a slug.
I don't measure inches, maybe I should. I can not keep my jeans up at all. I thought for sure I would see a great number of the scale.

You really don't need to exercise at all to gain muscle on low carb according to the experts and people who've tested it. Eating enough protein builds muscles, without exercising. I often see inches go down even when my weight hasn't. Definitely start measuring some key areas, like waist, thigh and hips.

I had only lost 3 lbs since I last went to my dentist however when I was there a couple of weeks later every women in the place, including my dentist, told me I looked so much thinner than the last time. That was the first time they all seemed to notice I'd lost a lot of weight.

E.W. 04-01-2014 08:47 AM

My scale has a warped sense of humor most of the time it's right but sometimes it will tell me I lost 50, to 150 lbs overnight. Once it even told me I had reached dieting heaven I weighed 0 lbs, this is one reason I don't own a gun!

BringOnTheLard 04-03-2014 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.W. (Post 16858775)
My scale has a warped sense of humor most of the time it's right but sometimes it will tell me I lost 50, to 150 lbs overnight. Once it even told me I had reached dieting heaven I weighed 0 lbs, this is one reason I don't own a gun!

LOL...makes me want to hug my own electric scale. It hasn't let me down yet.