LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
Do you journal?

Since restarting almost a month ago, I have been journaling everyday. Each day I start out with keeping carb counts for myself and my hubby at the top of the page. Then I keep track of any recipe I may have created or tried and I rate it with 1-5 stars. Next I list 10, or more, or many more things that I am grateful for. And last I write down how my day was and the events of the day.

In a way it helps day to day to watch my counts more closely. Also, I have found it helps me realize what might be going on during the day that may have an impact on what I am eating.

I found that I feel better and more accomplished when I journal it all. It's there in black and white exactly what I am doing right. It forces me to find all my little accomplishments, making me feel so good about what I am doing. In addition, I have noticed so much more about my family, all the little loving things they do each and every day that was either overlooked or taken for granted in the hustle and bustle of each day.

It has impacted me so much that I had my daughter who is 6 start her own journal. Right now she just writes what she is thankful for, but I hope as she grows it helps her self-esteem the way it seems to be helping build mine. And my husband receives many more thank yous, that he should have been getting all along. He was getting a lot but not enough. He is a wonderful man and I think it helps him feel better about himself as well.

So I am wondering do you journal? If you do, what are you journaling about? How has it helped you?

Thanks for listening,
Mindy

Last edited by Iwantlessofme; 03-14-2014 at 10:52 PM..
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2014, 05:13 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
I stared journaling when I was going through a divorce 15+ years ago So I wouldn't unload my emotional baggage on my family and friends. I try to keep it positive because I didn't like reading negative entries when I'd refer back. After so many years, I can put a positive spin on anything - ha. I don't track carbs because I use an on line tracker, but I do occasionally note my weight and can relate weight gain or loss to something that's going on in my life. Also - I like to actually write in a journal - versus a computer. There's something therapeutic about putting pen to paper.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:16 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
My 'journal' is my online food tracker and my excel spread sheet.

I am 100% in support of your efforts. I think it is always very good to have a record (data) of dietary choices and how they made you feel. Humans tend to have fallible memories and record keeping can be very useful.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I'm very detail oriented so I track a lot of things. I use an online food tracker that is synced to my Fitbit One. It tracks my food, steps, sleep, and calories burned as well as weight & BF.

I keep detailed notes in my iPhone on all sorts of things, like when starting supplements to see how I feel, if they make a noticeable difference, how long it took, etc. I note exercise type and length of time. I also make a note of other things going on in my life because so many things can make a difference in how I feel as well as fat loss.

All of this might drive some people nuts but, as I said, I am detail oriented and I thrive on this kind of thing. The more info I have the better. I can see trends & realize what changes I need to make. I journal the dates changes are implemented and can look back to see if they made a difference.

Sometimes I see results I wasn't even looking for. For example, last year I added a liquid ionic magnesium supplement after reading about how much better that form was than other forms of magnesium. It made a huge difference in how I felt (got rid of chronic fatigue) & that was what I hoped for. Months later, I was looking at my weight loss graph & noticed there was a sudden, very noticeable dip in the line starting on June 1. I wondered what I had done to cause that? I knew I had not changed my diet or workouts at that time. My notes confirmed that. It turned out that was when I added the magnesium!
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:04 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I keep an online log that tracks my food and macros, but I also keep track of my BG readings and will 'journal' when anything is off as far as how I feel, whether my BG drops too low, etc. This helps me figure out if I need to change anything. Although I tend to be very consistent about my diet as far as eating at the same time each day, same amount of carbs at each meal, etc. and now that I'm off all meds, just don't see too much fluctuation...which means far less 'journaling' other than the food log.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Samantha42
Stats: 205/142.6/150 5'6" 31y/o
WOE: Mod Carb/Paleo/IF
Studies have shown that journaling via keeping a food log helps people lose weight more than people who don't journal. I think it provides better insight and accountability.

I can't remember the exact research details, but that is one of the first things I recommend to overweight patients.
Samantha42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
I journal everyday...it is a good support for myself to put down my menus,weight changes and just whatever comes to my mind that helps me keep on track.... I enjoy reading others journals for it lets me know that we are all going thur this journey of ours and we are not alone...
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:49 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbie83
Stats: 266/251.6/180
WOE: Low Carb/Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: 2/19/2014
I journal my food choices with an online/smartphone tracker, and i also created a weight chart excel spreadsheet where I track my weekly weigh-ins. It REALLY helps me stay on track, especially continuing to log even when i've done badly or gained weight. Keeps me from slipping into denial and continuing down the wrong path.
Barbie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I'm terrible. I start all enthusiastic and then it falls by the wayside once my life gets in the way. I do log my food on a food database site every day, which helps. But the journaling just isn't something I can consistently keep up.

I love reading other peoples' journals for the motivation though!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote