LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
CSH
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CSH
Stats: 281/265/180
Start Date: 02-24-14
Post operative failure

I had knee surgery on Wednesday and majorly fell off the wagon. Like, icecream, doritos, even Macdonalds. I was stoned and hungry and feeling like total garbage. I was bad yesterday too, but today I feel lifted from the fog and the anesthesia hangover is gone. I had lost 13 pounds from the time of my consult to the time of my procedure, and since my surgery I'm up a pound from my last weigh in. I'm so bummed. The unfortunate part is that I was so out of it I didn't even get to enjoy all those carbs. I barely remember it. LOL

So what's the quickest way to get back into Ketosis? I really want to show everyone - surgeon, physical therapists, etc, that I'm taking this seriously. I've gone from 8000-10000 steps per day to like 200, and I haven't started therapy yet (just home range of motion type stuff). I'm so bored and in my head I keep saying "well if I can't exercise I may as well enjoy the time off and eat like crap" but I KNOW that's a dumb frame of mind to be in.

I was so upset yesterday because I felt like my weight contributed to all the issues with me knee, which it did and didn't. In the video he sent me home with (yes I got to watch a video of the procedure! so cool) he blames my horse for all the damage, but I'm sure being over weight didn't help. And it will play a factor in my recovery as well.

I guess I just need talking off the ledge. I really want to order a pizza right now.
CSH is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RoxyRoller
Stats: 315/253/200
Start Date: December 30, 2013
I'm sorry you're having a hard time....don't order the pizza, just think how awful you will feel after you eat it! I, too, am an emotional eater. It's so hard to reprogram our self talk and the rationalizations/excuses we come up with to eat nutritionally void stuff! Forgive yourself, be happy that your surgery was successful, picture yourself healthy and moving like the wind on your new knee! Keep in mind that losing weight will only make things easier, especially recovery and continued success of the knee repair/replacement.
RoxyRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
CSH
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRoller View Post
Keep in mind that losing weight will only make things easier, especially recovery and continued success of the knee repair/replacement.
Not a replacement yet, but if I stay this heavy it will eventually come to that a lot sooner than should be considered even remotely appropriate. I'm only 33 and had what he considered "traumatic arthritis" according to the video. And what I thought was going to be a fairly easy clean up of a few cysts and a minor meniscus tear turned out to be a grade 3 lesion in the articular cartilage in the trochlear groove right where my patella hits (which was also not articulating so they shaved it down too), and so they performed a microfracture surgery to expose bone marrow and help grow a "patch" so it won't end up hitting bone on bone.

I've hit rock bottom. Surgery is risky anyway, but even more so when you're over weight, especially the recovery. When we originally thought it was just cyst removal I was so relieved that it wasn't obesity related, and then I watched the video, and while putting my knee through the ringer with horse injuries certainly doesn't help, I couldn't help but feel so angry at myself for not only needing the surgery, but then facing the possibility of it failing because I'm so heavy. And the messed up part is that it's all 100% preventable from choices that *I've* made.

If I could bend my leg I could kick myself right now.

There is a thread going somewhere about what the last straw was. This is definitely it for me! I cannot ever come back to this place ever ever again.

I think I'm actually talking myself out of the pizza as I type this. How cathartic!

Thanks for reading. We may be strangers but in a strange way we all sort of "get it", you know?
Old 03-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jink
Stats: 5'10: 230/163/158
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2013
"If I could bend my leg I could kick myself right now. " lol, you're funny! I do know what you mean, but go easy on yourself. You can only change how you move forward from this day.

I like a couple of days of fat fasting to get back on track. Dana Carpenter has a great book, with a variety of easy, satisfying recipes.

Also there is a fantastic low carb pizza recipe--that really quells that particular craving. I think I found it on this site but I think you can get it by googling "low carb pizza thin crust recipe" it's the one on linda sue's recipe site. Good luck with your healing
Jink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/170/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
Stay Strong. My husband has bad knees and probably needs them replaced, they hurt him all the time, his orthopedic surgeon won't do another surgery on him until he loses some major weight. He had surgery on his elbow and shoulder a couple years ago. Just get back on plan. Find nummy low carb snacks/meals or whatever diet plan you are following and just do it.
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Reddress
Stats: Start: 221 Goal: 175 Current:202
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2014
Just start today as you mean to go on. I had surgery this week too - and while the doctor was lecturing me on how I needed to lose weight, the nurses were stuffing me with juices and jello and oatmeal and toast. I wanted to scream "If you want me to lose weight, stop giving me these carbs!!" What could I do though? I just came home and continued as I meant to go on. started right back with induction eating. Knock on wood it seems to be working, I think once I lose the swelling I should be less than I was before I went in. Hopefully it will be the same for you and you can both heal quickly and lose that weight!
Reddress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Well first CHS, welcome. If I didn't before! Second, if those are your horses in your avatar, absolutely beautiful. Gypsy Vaners? (sp?). Any way, yes your weight can contribute. What I learned when my very large brother (400+) needed knee surgery is this, every pound is four pounds of pressure on your knees.

As to the pizza, check out the recipe help and suggestions. I make an easy one with just eggs and cheese and a little coconut flour. Our favorite so far. Giving in will just be self defeating. Getting out of that cycle is key. Good luck on your recovery. You can do this!

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
You said it yourself.

Your last straw. You hit it. This is what was needed to cement the lc way of life into your every day routine forever.

blamed your horse? My horse got blamed for my lower bulging discs in my back I've ridden for over 25 years. I don't blame my horses one bit LOL

Actually from what I just read, you will be fine.

You are telling yourself in NO UNCERTAIN terms that you've had it. You will now lose the weight and succeed to your goal.

you hit a low, but with it came your last straw. you found your motivation....now roll with it.

best of luck to you!!!!
Old 03-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: niciK
Stats: 312/286/165
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 1/1/2014 . 100th restart
I was sick this month for 2 weeks, a few days I went off plan because I needed the honey so bad for my throat and my stomach needed potatoes and pizza. lol
Eating that way made me feel so much better during the flu.
I went right back to ketosis after I the worst part of it went away. I do not regret the carbs, in fact I am glad I ate them. They helped. so you went off and now itis time to go back to our plan.
Don't beat yourself up. Have someone get you pizza cheese, pepperonis and nuke it and eat that. Yumm. Don't focus on calories now, just wonderful fats. How about some buffalo wings and blue cheese?
The cravings will go away. Just focus on low carb comfort foods right now.
niciK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KampyKool
Stats: 2007: 216/144......... 2014: 219/204/145
CSH, they are absolutely right! And as you noted, you got what you needed when you most needed it. You realize it so move on and just start over .

I went through a similar situation after a surgery and absolutely beat myself up about it, black and blue, which in turn sent me back to my bad stress eating habit and so the cycle went. If I had just forgiven myself and saw the lapses as 'just being human' I wouldn't have gained so much weight (60lb more than you). So see, your situation is already controllable . You're going to do great!

Best Wishes for a quick recovery!!!
KampyKool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #11
CSH
Junior LCF Member

I've lost 2 pounds since surgery!!!

For sitting on my butt for a week and having some serious low moments where I cheated bad.. I couldn't be happier. And knowing I have a gluten intolerance that affects my joints, my PTA (who has a masters in physiology with lots of nutritional ed) said I'm absolutely doing the right thing. Finally, someone who gets it!!

My hands no longer hurt and the swelling in my leg looks awesome (read: almost nonexistent).