Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 06:44 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Painted Peggies
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins/Fat Head
Start Date: March 2011
Intermittent fasting and excess energy?

I have started IF again, and have noticed that I have a LOT of excess energy this time. I feel agitated.

It has happened in the past, but this go around, I am having trouble sleeping or wake in the middle of the night and can't go back, for hours, to sleep.

I have coffee during the day.
Painted Peggies is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BringOnTheLard
Stats: 240/179/150
WOE: Ketogenic / VLCVHF
Start Date: Early Aug 2013
I've been on very strict LC/HF since last August. I've had spells of insomnia my whole life. However, I've just come out of a long stall, lasted almost a month where I was hovering around the same 3 lbs. Finally a few days ago the stall broke and I've lost 3 lbs since last week, hitting a new low.

A couple of weeks ago, while stalled, I noticed that I was sleeping well. Falling asleep quickly and sleeping through the night. Then, when the weight started coming off again I'm having some sleep issues again. Energy is about the same though.

But I do think something is going on and I'll be keeping track from now on. It does seem that when my body is in lose mode I can't sleep well. When it's in "rest mode"? ......then I sleep. I expect that when I get closer to goal rest mode will happen more often than lose mode.

First time in my life I look forward to insomnia though. LOL

Are you currently losing a lot?

Last edited by BringOnTheLard; 03-14-2014 at 07:24 AM..
BringOnTheLard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jijane21
Stats: 195/169/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: Latest start Jul 2013
I've been IF for about a week now and I'm waking up at least an hour before my alarm, and I feel like I've had a ton of caffeine throughout the day. I usually have a diet coke in the AM, but water the rest of the day. The energy feeling is a very agitating feeling, and usually leads me to a high level of anxiety. I've been sick with the flu since this past weekend, but whenever illness lets up I'm going to have to take some long walks to combat the feeling!
jijane21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/189/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
I don't fast, but i've been pretty strictly in induction an i have the same issue of waking early and not being able to go back to sleep. Annoying

I am losing, though, so i guess i'll take it.
leeloo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I have been IFing for a couple of weeks and it has affected my sleep too. I can't complain though, it is taking me 12 minutes to fall asleep instead of 4. That's three times as long though.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Samantha42
Stats: 205/144.6/150 5'5" 30y/o
WOE: Mod Carb/Paleo/IF
Honestly, I think it's ketosis. Whether via low carb, more exercise, or fasting, whenever I am ketotic, I can feel it. Aside from the taste/breath, I cannot sleep. It's like, I'm tired, I need to sleep, but my body is too active and my mind tends to race.

It's an unfortunate side effect for me. Because of this reason, I tend to eat higher amounts of carbs and only dip into ketosis during my "more intense" weight loss phases, or when I happen to eat less one day or have lower carbs.

I lost most of the last 40 pounds by intermittently being more strict, losing a few pounds, and then maintaining for a month via a lower calorie plan where I essentially ate healthy but ate anything I wanted without any definite restrictions. I came to accept that whenever I wanted to lose more weight, I would do so at the sacrifice of sleep.

When I go on vacation and go "off plan", eating a lot of carbs, I sleep so well. So unfortunate! I think other people have the opposite issue, and seem to sleep better with ketosis and require less total hours of sleep time.

Now Dr. Samantha42, thanks to this website.
Samantha42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have read that intermittent fasting in some women can cause too much stress on the adrenals. Your description sounds like an issue with your adrenals.

I would back off the I.F. for a few weeks and see if things return to normal. It may be an easy solution. You could alternately get a test run and see what your levels are.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tammeli
Stats: 155/145/135 5'7"
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: On and off for 10 years
What do you ladies do to IF? I heard a little bit about this, but would like to hear from some of you who have had success with this.
tammeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Samantha42
Stats: 205/144.6/150 5'5" 30y/o
WOE: Mod Carb/Paleo/IF
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammeli View Post
What do you ladies do to IF? I heard a little bit about this, but would like to hear from some of you who have had success with this.

My definition of IF - I only eat for 6-7 hours a day (from 12pm - 6/7pm), fasting for the remaining 16-17 hours of the day. I eat only 2 meals in that eating window, with no snacking. During the fasting period, I drink water, tea and sometimes zero calorie beverages like Zevia soda or Vitamin Water Zero.

Also, if I'm not hungry, I may push back that 12pm start time to ~3pm, making me go nearly 20 hours without eating (I rarely do this, but become very ketotic when I do).

Overall, I feel great and don't find myself overeating when I do eat.
Samantha42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jijane21
Stats: 195/169/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: Latest start Jul 2013
I was researching into IF a little more for women and some add a fat only supplement to their morning to combat the anxiety. For most that is Bullet proof coffee or tea. I'm not a coffee drinker so I'm going to try adding some HWC in the morning to see if it helps.
jijane21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tammeli
Stats: 155/145/135 5'7"
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: On and off for 10 years
Thanks. I think I might give IF a try.
tammeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
I have lost all of my weight (this time around) with Juddd, which is basically eating less calories every other day and more the next day. It has been miraculous for me and I've been maintaining (well under my goal weight) since last July. We have a Juddd section over here on LCF that's very active and full of information, if you want to check it out. We're a pretty happy bunch.
Flutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammeli View Post
I have lost all of my weight doing IF, specifically, Juddd. It has been a life saver for me and the first plan I've ever managed to get to maintenance on and STAY THERE. Lots of happy maintainers with the plan, which is a big reason why I tried it. There's a Juddd section over here on LCF that's very active. Come join us, lots of great folks & great info over there. It's basically an every other day plan. I eat a lot less one day, and a lot more the next. LOVE it and hey, it certainly has worked for me.

OP, I recall having some issues with insomnia when starting Juddd but it's gotten better. It does still plague me from time to time, but not too badly. There's a thread over there right now on sleep issues, maybe check it out?

Last edited by Flutter; 03-18-2014 at 11:50 AM..
Flutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:30 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Salad Spinner
Tammeli ~ I started IF'G about a year ago. I'm 52 and perim and attributed an increase in hunger to hormones? I've lc'd and maintained since 99', always eating my three meals and sometimes a night snack (all good, I do no eat off plan.) I decided to give IF a try and I absolutely love it! I eat once a day about 5/6 pm or so. I'm a purist so for me its water only until dinnertime. I learned quickly that a hungry feeling did not kill me, lol. It teaches you true hunger for sure. I get the 'hungry' feeling about every 3 or so hours and when I do I drink plain water and it goes away. I eat mindfully so if I get the full feeling signal from my brain to my belly and I'm not done with my plate I set it aside and will finish it later. I eat it in a 1 to 2 hour window. It may have been easier for me to transition to it tho since I already ate lc and healthy for so many years. Good luck!
Salad Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: painted_klown
Stats: 312/298/200
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: May 07, 2008 - Re-induced 01-01-14
I have considered doing IF, but I am not 100% sure hoow it works. Also, if I wake up and go into the afternoon without eating I get kinf of a "shaky" and "ill" feeling if that makes sense. Kind of like mild nausea combined with a "trembling feeling" on the inside...I hope that makes sense. Additionally, I feel like am STARVING when I do this.

The good thing is that when I finally do eat, it feels so good to eat such a large meal and not even come close to going over on my cals.
painted_klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fitforever
Stats: 5'10", 140 lbs - at optimum weight
WOE: Low Carb Ketogenic Diet
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
I have considered doing IF, but I am not 100% sure hoow it works. Also, if I wake up and go into the afternoon without eating I get kinf of a "shaky" and "ill" feeling if that makes sense. Kind of like mild nausea combined with a "trembling feeling" on the inside...I hope that makes sense. Additionally, I feel like am STARVING when I do this.

The good thing is that when I finally do eat, it feels so good to eat such a large meal and not even come close to going over on my cals.
If you have weight to lose try eating one meal a day at approximately the same time. Make sure when you eat the meal is low carb and high fat (LCHF). You will be doing 24 hour fasts eating one meal a day. There are many benefits of fasting 24 hours besides losing a ton of weight. When not cycling I do 2-3 24 fasts a week to stay healthy and in ketosis. Your hunger cravings will eventually go away after a few of these fasts. The other benefit is the time and money you save eating one meal a day.
Fitforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitforever View Post
If you have weight to lose try eating one meal a day at approximately the same time. Make sure when you eat the meal is low carb and high fat (LCHF). You will be doing 24 hour fasts eating one meal a day. There are many benefits of fasting 24 hours besides losing a ton of weight. When not cycling I do 2-3 24 fasts a week to stay healthy and in ketosis. Your hunger cravings will eventually go away after a few of these fasts. The other benefit is the time and money you save eating one meal a day.
Thanks for the info. DO you recommend making this an early morning meal, or late evening meal.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #18
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
Thanks for the info. DO you recommend making this an early morning meal, or late evening meal.

Thanks for the tip!
This is personal preference but I think most people like to begin their fast after their afternoon or evening meal.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
This is personal preference but I think most people like to begin their fast after their afternoon or evening meal.
Thanks for the info. I am seriously considering doing this on weekends. I can't imagine going all day at work with no food, but just around the house/running errands, this may be doable for me. If I find that it isn't, I can simply continue to count calories like I am now.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: aryn12205
WOE: IF/Paleo/Whole Food-Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: January '14
I've been doing IF for about 3 weeks now and have noticed a very similar effect. I'm not having trouble sleeping (in fact, I find that I'm exhausted earlier than usual), but am having crazy high energy spurts, especially in the morning! I have been blaming it on the ACV I take daily. :-)
aryn12205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 117/112
WOE: Ketosis/Mod Fat
I never eat breakfast, and usually go until 12,1 sometimes even 3 before I eat. Then, I eat again at 8 or 9 because that works for my schedule right now.

I think IF is amazing. I cant imagine going back to eating 3 meals a day, or eating every few hours. But, that is just me I do have more energy on IF, but in a good way.
Peace is online now   Reply With Quote