LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: primroselane
Stats: 318/239/295/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/5/09--- Restart date 8/1/14
low carb bread etc.

Just wanting to get opinions on so called lc breads, tortillas etc. Mission makes a lc tortilla that I swear you can't tell from the regular tortillas. I've used them sparingly without worry until a conversation I had with another lc'er recently. She said she'd read the lc versions of things like bread and tortillas are nothing more than creative labeling. Is it possible to manipulate carb counts on labels that much? I'd hate to have to give up tortillas,, and the possibility of ever trying the lc version of bread...
primroselane is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
It's more than creative labeling - look at the ingredients. Often you'll find wheat gluten, oat fiber, other ingredients that are lower carb. I just looked up the ingredient list on the tortillas sold on this site for reference.

So, you can still try them with your meals, although some people do say certain foods cause cravings, but these are definitely not just number games.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Call me trusting, but we do have truth in labeling laws so I don't see how they can get 'creative' on the nutritional info...other than calling it 0 carbs when it's actually .9. Perhaps someone else has better input.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Aomiel - good point. I never learned truncate as a valid way to round numbers from .9 to 0.

I wish I could work my bank account with a similar type of rounding in my favor.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Good example above, but not common. I helped a client get a food product to market once and it is quite the process. Nutritional and ingredient testing is mandatory and pretty rigid in that everything that goes into your product ends up on that label. I think in the great majority of cases, you're getting just what it says you're getting on the label.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
I hate to disagree with some of the postings here, but the truth in labeling laws do not protect you. I used to believe the labels too, but I learned the hard way that there are manufacturers that lie on the label. One of them is Diet Rite, who make the most scrumptious, supposedly low fat, low carb, low calorie individual pizzas. They were so good, I had a hard time believing they could be low anything. Then Arnold Diaz, the consumer reporter for FOX5 in NYC did an expose on them that said their pizzas were anything but low fat, low carb & low calorie. He had several of the Diet Rite pizzas tested at an independent lab and it was found that the label was a fairy tale. The pizzas were very high fat and very high carb and very high calorie. A woman named Deborah Krueger has a website called low carb scams where she exposes many of these products. She has the Arnold Diaz video at her website if you're interested. The FDA apparently is too busy to go after these smaller manufacturers so many of them are getting away with lying on their labels. Another product that claimed to be low carb were the Julian Bakery breads. I LOVED their cinnamon bread, but my blood sugar always went up to around 140 after eating just one slice. Well, it was proven that their label was a lie. I believe they've since changed their recipe, but from what I hear their new bread tastes like cardboard. One manufacturer I've found that does not raise my blood sugar is ThinSlim; their "Love the Taste" line is tasty and appears to be low carb as reported. So, don't put too much trust in the FDA and the 'truth in labeling' laws. I learned by experience.

Last edited by Ronnie51; 03-13-2014 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: Corrected some data
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:12 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: primroselane
Stats: 318/239/295/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/5/09--- Restart date 8/1/14
Thanks for the great info everyone. Guess the best thing to do is look at each product individually. Crossing my fingers for my lc tortillas and lc taco shells, I sure don't want to give them up!
primroselane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:36 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
If you're already utilizing the products and they're not affecting you, I wouldn't worry too much about it - at least that's my take. I've been using certain products for years with no issues, and am cautious when adding new items, but I gauge things on my personal experience. Either way, good luck!

ps. I'm not at all advocating the idea that labels shouldn't be entirely truthful - nothing will make me stop using a product faster than finding out that the seller is intentionally reporting inaccurate information!
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I need to correct something from my previous post: The company that lied on their label is called EatRite, not DietRite. Sorry about that.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cali girl
Stats: 213/186/135 (5'7"- 57yrs)
Does anyone eat the Joseph pita bread? They say there 4 net carbs. I really like them so I hope that is true. I use them for sandwich's and cheeseburger's very good.
Cali girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali girl View Post
Does anyone eat the Joseph pita bread? They say there 4 net carbs. I really like them so I hope that is true. I use them for sandwich's and cheeseburger's very good.
I go through phases where I make cinnamon chips or pizza with them, and then they sit in the freezer for a while - they are good! Never affected me, other than maybe being a little salty.
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Elgar
Stats: 182/170/150
WOE: HCG-2, Juicing & LC
Start Date: May 2013 (restart)
Most manufacturers are honest on their labels, but it is always wise to check. I use the Joseph's products-- both their lavash bread and pitas and have no problems at all. Whenever I try out a new food I always test my blood sugar at 1, 2, and 3 hours. Some of the low carb foods stay in my system a lot longer than regular foods, which means it's not as low carb as described. Dreamfield's pasta is one. At the one hour mark, my blood sugar is minimally raised, but at the 3 hour it is higher than if I'd eaten regular pasta.
Elgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cali girl
Stats: 213/186/135 (5'7"- 57yrs)
Ncgirl...pizza is a great idea. I never thought of using them in that way.

Elgar...glad you don't have any problems with Joseph's I don't test my blood sugar. I just
like to have something to grab when I haven't really planed for a meal.
Cali girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

I read that there's a class action lawsuit against Dreamfields for false claims on their label. Again, Deborah Krueger discusses it at her low carb scam website.