LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
healing a broken metabolism.

So from all the years of crash dieting, taking miracle pills, looking for a fast fix, and going on insane holiday binges resulting in super fast gains in hours/days. Has caught up to me. I have been doing some research and I think my metabolism is broken. The only way I lose weight is by fat fasting, and that is no way to live.
If anyone has suggestions, book or suggestions, or things I should look up your support is appreciated..
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
I did a interview with Colette Heimowitz from Atkins Nutritional and we talked about this very thing.. Here is a link to that article that is at the top of this board. I hope this may give you some help!

Atkins Nutritionals Interview (Repairing your Metabolism and more)
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Thank you so much for your super speedy response!
Old 03-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I'd personally recommend the hCG protocol, as it has helped me immensely when nothing else would. But truthfully very clean Atkins should work as well, even if it does not affect your leptin the way hCG does. Poke around some of the sub-board on this community, you may find more ideas
Arctic_Mama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I don't think this is a helpful way to look at the situation at all. it just feels good because we love to think we can repent for our health sins and be saved somehow...

it's true that everything you do as far as eating and such affects your hormones if nothing else. so figuring out the way of eating you need to follow and sticking to it is the best path to getting your hormones balanced better again. for many it takes a long time. that's just life. good luck!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I don't think this is a helpful way to look at the situation at all. it just feels good because we love to think we can repent for our health sins and be saved somehow...

it's true that everything you do as far as eating and such affects your hormones if nothing else. so figuring out the way of eating you need to follow and sticking to it is the best path to getting your hormones balanced better again. for many it takes a long time. that's just life. good luck!
I should have given better detail, I plan on packing away my scale and I'm mentally preparing myself for weight gain in hopes of fixing a broken bacon lol
Old 03-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
The Diet Fix by Yoni Freedhoff
(he addresses what you describe...he calls it "PTDD"--post traumatic dieting disorder)

Many people find JUDDD very healing.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/

I'm doing the Shangri-La Diet these days.
(Seth Roberts)

Last edited by piratejenny; 03-13-2014 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: add link
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:31 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I found myself in the same place. What I did was find a naturopath to help me. My thyroid was kaput, and my adrenals worn out, blood sugar not good either. While I am all for clean eating, which I've been doing, finding someone to help can't hurt. Trying to figure it all out on your own could take forever and be very frustrating. I know, I tried.

I wish you well, and good luck.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:30 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I thought of another book; it's called "Metabolism Miracle" by Diane Kress.

I had good results...while I followed it! It's very precise...something like 5g (net) carb every 5 hours in the first phase, add an extra 3 days if you mess up.

Based on some solid concepts of resting your liver & adrenal glands so you can get them working properly again later on. A bit carb-heavy in later phases and she's sort of anti-fat...I wouldn't recommend running out & buying it, but it might be worth a read if your library has it.

I'm glad you're putting your scale away. Give your body really really nourishing foods (some of my faves are bone broth & gelatin, green veggies, spirulina, nutritional yeast, berries, ginger & turmeric, chia seeds, eggs/egg yolks, coconut milk, miso) and let yourself heal.

Other thoughts:
Nourishing Traditions (Sally Fallon & Mary Enig)

(I was looking around for a "Leptin Reset" thread but the one I found was one YOU started! I still do the big protein breakfast; it's been very helpful for both my diabetes and insomnia. Even just 25-30g protein [instead of the recommended 50g] works for me.)
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Samantha42
Stats: 205/144.6/150 5'5" 30y/o
WOE: Mod Carb/Paleo/IF
What if you tried a paleo-type diet? I was stuck in a cycle of weight gain, binge eating, thinking my metabolism failed, etc. The key for me in stopping the cycle was not being so restrictive. I had lost my ability to tolerate any type of carbohydrate, and was either really "good" or exceedingly "bad". It was exhausting and very frustrating.

When I added back in fruit, and cut down on more processed, grain-type foods, eventually I stopped feeling "addicted" to carbs, stopped binge-eating, and was able to lose the weight that I could NOT lose on Atkins. I was a die-hard ketosis/Atkins/lowcarb fan for years and that whole time was stuck at 180-190 pounds.

Now Dr. Samantha42, thanks to this website.
Samantha42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #11
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I don't have a book to recommend, I read up on adrenal fatigue and related stuff on the internet. I didn't really set out to repair my metabolism, but fell kind of bass-ackwards into with an injury.

I was training for a marathon and trying to lose (and having to resort to some drastic measures). Then I had to have surgery on my foot. I decided being laid up was going to be a good time to rest. I also finished grad school so that was a load of stress off of me. I read up on whole nutrition, and started paying a lot more attention to food quality, not just carb counts. I ate some stupid things too, and gained weight.

I can exercise again, but I am keeping it low-key for now, mostly walking. One of the best things I did for myself was get some blood allergy testing and do elimination trials on the foods it said I react to. Dairy was a huge culprit for me and causes a lot of inflammation and I think was giving me cravings. I didn't realize that before and maybe it was making losing so hard for me (which in turn led me to try crazy things). I don't know. I have been back trying to lose for a couple of weeks now and it is sooooo much easier (not easy, but easier) than before. I am way less hungry and I don't feel like I have to white-knuckle every evening to keep from cleaning out the snack drawer.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won!
11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annabird
The Fast Metabolism Diet! Best thing I ever tried. I have done Atkins for many years. I was in your same situation. I finally can eat, fixing my metabolism and have lost 15 pounds in less than 5 weeks! My skin looks better and I finally have energy.
annabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:20 AM   #13
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Thanks everyone, I think I have allot of research to do!
Old 03-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #14
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I don't know about 'healing a metabolism' but I do think that it can be improved at very least. The problem with your question is the word 'metabolism' envelopes a vast number of physiological processes right down to the cell level.

Because we know that cells replace themselves, it is fair to think that we can provide an 'environment' for the healthiest cell replacement through proper nutrition and other physical environmental situations. It is thought by some that obese people are actually undernourished. Eating a nourishing diet would therefore go a long way to helping.

According to Dr. Lutz (Life Without Bread) and I believe Dr. Jan Kwasniewski - who both had years of clinical experience, have reported that it can take years to see the kind of improvements that are part of 'metabolism'. I think they provide a good argument to the idea of long term commitment to proper nutrition for those kinds of issues in some people - if not all. Many people do not have to fight the weight issue and feel good but underlying problems may be emerging without making themselves known until it is too late.

My conclusions are to eat as well as possible with the best quality foods and supplements that make sense. Do it all the time. In my world, if there are no appropriate food choices, I don't eat. To me, making poor food choices means taking a step back on my path to healing whatever of the vast # of things called metabolism that need repair.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 03-16-2014 at 08:18 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #15
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

I haven't bought a book off the beaten path lately. (most are paleo, low carb, cook books)
but I just ordered The Protein Boost Diet: Improve Your Hormone Efficiency for a Fast Metabolism and Weight Loss
Hopefully this will give me a good insight!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I went to see a naturopath and I did a health assessment with Maria Emmerich. I couldn't figure out by myself why some of my problems weren't clearing up through diet alone. I was feeling cold and tired and my thyroid (even after a few different tests) has shown good function. I get warm only when I exercise, and then it depends on what I do and how much. I was really convinced I broke my metabolism from all the years of yoyo and fad dieting.

Both concluded similar things:
I have candida issues, an estrogen imbalance and I need to get my liver back up to speed. This can be done through LC diet and I take supplements that support healing my issues.

I'm currently suffering a healing crisis, so I look like I got scraped along the floor with my face, that is how bad my eczema flare up is... Thankfully the last couple of days have been better and I'm starting to look and feel halfway human, LOL! I guess with my ramblings I'm trying to say that it will take time to figure it out, and once you do, it may get worse before it gets better. At least my hands aren't like icicles anymore!

Wishing you all the best, I hope you figure out what works for you.

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote