Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: palegirl
Stats: 249/144/145 2006:199/136/140 2013:206/165/145
WOE: Atkins Sizes:20W-22M/8/8
Start Date: thanksgiving 2002 Height: 5'7 Age:35
Mulberry, some people are choosing to experiment with giving up sweeteners or dairy to see how it effects them but nobody is saying that you have to, and it isn't Atkins. Feel free to quit your diet if you hate it, but don't say you quit Atkins because you couldn't quit dairy and sweeteners.
palegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
Atkins is much looser than that, mulberry! You can have cheese, cream, higher carb vegetables like peppers and tomatoes (the list of vegetables is VERY long on "regular Atkins") you add back nuts, soft cheeses, berries and wine after only a few weeks.

So Atkins itself is actually quite a varied diet.

We just go on our "kicks" here on LCF, experimenting with lots of different things to kick up weight loss a notch, it doesn't mean ANY of those experiments are truly Atkins.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmirror View Post
We just go on our "kicks" here on LCF, experimenting with lots of different things to kick up weight loss a notch, it doesn't mean ANY of those experiments are truly Atkins.
Exactly, I agree with you and Palegirl.

Also, some of us are experimenting with cutting stuff out for other health reasons, not just losing weight.

Believe me, if I could eat all dairy without getting digestive issues, I would! I love my HWC and sour cream and cheese.
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:53 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BigRunner
Stats: 247/190/168
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Going Dairy Free is not a requirement for Atkins. Neither is giving up artificial sweeteners. Giving up Dairy for 30 days (elimination diet) TO SEE if you have problems with it is simply a short experiment TO BE SURE you don't have issues. If you don't have issues, eat away. No one is pushing this or judging.

Had I not been in denial for YEARS, I could have avoided countless medications, lotions, potions, etc. for my acne had I just tried giving up dairy. Now that I have done the "unthinkable" and given up dairy, I don't miss it.
BigRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:38 AM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberry View Post
Let me get this straight.... I am eating very low carb so that eliminates hundreds of items....then, I should give up all artificial sweeteners so that eliminates all desserts....now the deal is that I should also think about giving up all dairy!!! What the heck is left? A small amount of protein and low carb vegetables. This is not at all what I thought this was going to be. I was MORE than willing to give up (for life if necessary) bread, potatoes, pasta and all things containing sugar, i.e. cakes, cookies, ice cream, and the like. But if I can't have some sugar free Jello with a little whipped cream....or a low carb pizza made with mozzarella .... or utilize the hundreds of low carb recipes that contain artificial sweeteners, cheese, heavy cream, etc....then this has turned into torture instead of a w.o.e. Think I'm done with Atkins
Good for those of you who can do this. I admire you I just know that this would never be the way I would want to eat for the rest of my life. When you can't even have substitutes for the high carb things you once ate....what the heck is left
I agree with the PaleGirl, MoonMirror, LeeLoo & Big Runner. LC WOE isn't as restrictive as some of us make it, mulberry.

I do less than 1200 kcals & 8 carbs daily -- only because that's what works for me. I don't eat dairy or nuts, because I can't lose the pounds and I get cravings for carbs. Some people try to "imitate" the carb foods they miss most, I don't because it would make me want the real thing. But I haven't given up my dt. soda or the artifical sweetner for my coffee (it has no affect on me = no weight gain or stalls). And I have portion-control issues, so I weigh everything I eat.

I am no longer "Living to Eat but Eating to Live" and I love the new THIN me much better than I did the FAT me that could eat everything and did...hence the weight problem my entire life.

That's the beautiful part of this WOE, you make it work for you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a diet,
It’s my salvation, my key to being
Healthy, happy and thinner!”
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:47 AM   #96
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
So anyways...moving along.

Im willing to give it a shot starting on the first because I need to go grocery shopping to prepare because everything I have has dairy in it. even the chicken I made I still have left over from last week I still have some left I need to eat it has dairy in it so let me prepare tomorrow and then I will start Tuesday. I'll start a thread I'm on my phone right now so I can't.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:14 AM   #97
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok I can do a challenge but there are a few things that I will not give up that are debatable as "dairy" (except butter, that's dairy and I WILL NOT use canola oil or any type of oil instead of butter, if I do need it). I do use coconut oil, so I will try to use that instead of butter, but just saying, if my arm is twisted, I'll be using it butter.

I will also be eating eggs and whey protein powder. Those three things are non negotiable.

I tried to do a little research this weekend so that's the list I came up with.

Last edited by MsWoods; 03-31-2014 at 08:15 AM..
Old 03-31-2014, 08:30 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Ok I can do a challenge but there are a few things that I will not give up that are debatable as "dairy" (except butter, that's dairy and I WILL NOT use canola oil or any type of oil instead of butter, if I do need it). I do use coconut oil, so I will try to use that instead of butter, but just saying, if my arm is twisted, I'll be using it butter.

I will also be eating eggs and whey protein powder. Those three things are non negotiable.

I tried to do a little research this weekend so that's the list I came up with.
Lol, I'm with you! Actually, I've done quite a bit of reading too and there's a lot of people who consider butter more of a fat than a dairy because of it's high fat content.....I have not given up butter and really don't intend to. Eggs are not dairy, they are a protein....I eat them daily!! As for Whey protein, I say if it works for you then go for it. I think the main thing is to cut out the cheese, yogurt, creams, etc. There are so many great substitutes for those things that it's actually fairly easy. Let's do this!!

Be the type of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap....she's up"!!

Made it to Onederland 7/1/14!!!
199 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145
ladyboss7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:37 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

I had to give up the whey powder as well. I've been trying out some non-dairy protein powders as replacements.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:50 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
If you are trying other Protein Powders and you're a guy (well your pic looks like a guy ... then I would caution you against using a Soy PP. If you don't know Soy has been shown to lower testosterone levels (probably because it contains estrogen like properties).

You might want to try Hemp and/or an Egg White one. Although Hemp is not really a complete protein you'd still be ok especially since you're probably getting protein from other sources eating Primal.

(You might already know this but thought I'd put it out there since you may not).

Last edited by webcrystal; 03-31-2014 at 08:52 AM..
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:57 AM   #101
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyboss7 View Post
Lol, I'm with you! Actually, I've done quite a bit of reading too and there's a lot of people who consider butter more of a fat than a dairy because of it's high fat content.....I have not given up butter and really don't intend to. Eggs are not dairy, they are a protein....I eat them daily!! As for Whey protein, I say if it works for you then go for it. I think the main thing is to cut out the cheese, yogurt, creams, etc. There are so many great substitutes for those things that it's actually fairly easy. Let's do this!!
The whey protein powder is a staple for me. It's hard for me to eat enough and my whey protein helps me stay on track so it's non negotiable. Pretty much I'm with you on the main things that I know are dairy. But I'm not going to go in the store and try to read labels to see if something has a small amount of dairy in it. I already have to read labels for calories/sugar/carbs.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:59 AM   #102
Big Yapper!!!!

Dairy Free Challenge-April 1
Old 03-31-2014, 09:54 AM   #103
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I went off ALL dairy for a couple of weeks, then tried Kerrygold and didn't react. I have heard that "high quality" butter doesn't affect people because the milk proteins are almost gone. I don't know what that means about "low quality" butter, whatever that is.

As I understand it, there are two milk proteins- whey and casein. If you are having an autoimmune reaction to dairy it is to one or both of the proteins. Digestive issues are a reaction to lactose.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:56 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberry View Post
Let me get this straight.... I am eating very low carb so that eliminates hundreds of items....then, I should give up all artificial sweeteners so that eliminates all desserts....now the deal is that I should also think about giving up all dairy!!! What the heck is left? A small amount of protein and low carb vegetables. This is not at all what I thought this was going to be. I was MORE than willing to give up (for life if necessary) bread, potatoes, pasta and all things containing sugar, i.e. cakes, cookies, ice cream, and the like. But if I can't have some sugar free Jello with a little whipped cream....or a low carb pizza made with mozzarella .... or utilize the hundreds of low carb recipes that contain artificial sweeteners, cheese, heavy cream, etc....then this has turned into torture instead of a w.o.e. Think I'm done with Atkins
Good for those of you who can do this. I admire you I just know that this would never be the way I would want to eat for the rest of my life. When you can't even have substitutes for the high carb things you once ate....what the heck is left
Why do you think you have to give up AS or dairy? Some people do for their own reasons, but it's your choice. Many, many people can be low carb and lose weight with all those things. I eat dairy, AS, peanuts, and drink wine and am doing great and losing weight. No reason to quit because of other people's dietary choices. Make your own!
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 8/27/14...166.6/161.3/125
WOE: Whole30 as of 8/27/14
I realize I'm a little late to the conversation, but here's the improvements I've seen since giving up dairy.
1. no more depression/moodiness
2. no more acne
3. no more puffiness/bloating
4. easier fat/weight loss
5. no more PMS, and much lighter monthly flow (sorry if TMI)
6. no more headaches
7. no more ear, nose, throat and sinus issues
8. cleaner teeth
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:15 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BBare
Stats: (210/ 139 /125) 5'9.5
WOE: LOW FAT/ LC for wt loss, Atkins~Mnt VERY LOW CARBS
TTTMOM, sounds like you have a massive CANDIDA issue.

For those who LOVE their dairy, and seem to really improve health wise and aid in Wt. Loss, I want to challenge you to do a Candida Flush for 2 months with the aid of All Natural Herb Supplements such as Candigone, Oil of Oregano, Grape-seed Extract and eliminate all yeast products including Aspartame which yeast can live on... Hence, Dr. A said to stop the consumption there of... This will give you a jump start on killing the overgrowth of Candida in your mucous membranes and then the possibilities of re-entering dairy into your diet can happen for you.

I suggest that you do a search for Candida Symptoms and give the prodigal a try. OH, and DON'T FORGET TO TAKE A POWERFUL ANTIOXIDANT AND PROBIOTIC DAILY FROM HENCE FORTH...

Hope this helps.

xo
BBare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:11 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 8/27/14...166.6/161.3/125
WOE: Whole30 as of 8/27/14
Thanks, yes I already take a good probiotic, and was taking a supplement that kills candida. Only consuming meat, veggies and broths seems to be what I'm thriving on. Cut out grains, dairy, artificial sweeteners, eggs, nuts, fruit and soy.
It makes sense that I would've had a candida issue, spent most of my childhood on antibiotics for chronic ear and sinus issues (we now know that was because of dairy causing all that). All those antibiotics destroyed me system and made me fat. Taking back control now and working to heal myself and my family from the damage done from conventional food and conventional doctors/prescriptions. Thanks for the info!
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:14 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

@ttmom

I was on long term antibiotics as well. If you haven't yet, read up on resistant starch to "feed the good gut bugs". It seems it takes some doing to "recover" from antibiotic use. Mark Sisson just had a good article on it.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

I think I'm having another good result from cutting dairy! (And I'm excited about it, as you can tell. )

I will get a patch of flaky skin on my forehead from a type of psoriasis, which affects my scalp as well. But it appears to have cleared up since I cut dairy! And my skin in general is looking better.

Full confession - I reintroduced a bit of parmigiano reggiano on my salads, because I have it on hand and I love it. But no HWC, half & half, sour cream, cream cheese, etc.

I'm not sure if I'll buy the parmigiano again, though, since this no-dairy is going so well.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:06 PM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaarren
Stats: 204/191/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8-22-08
I have been off dairy for about 1 week.

It is hard to live without CHEESE!

I was dreading giving it up, but they say that what you really want to hang on to, is actually what you need to let go.
Kaarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
I luv being dairy free, but that is just me. Do what makes you feel right and what gives you best results. Everyone is sooo different and that is the beauty of this lifestyle. We can create plans that work for each of us, but still remain low carb.

Good luck
Peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #112
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
It doesn't make a huge difference with me. I don't consume alot of it and I do best with heavy cream in coffee and butter. Sometimes I will have full fat Greek yogurt.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:25 AM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrystal View Post
If you are trying other Protein Powders and you're a guy (well your pic looks like a guy ... then I would caution you against using a Soy PP. If you don't know Soy has been shown to lower testosterone levels (probably because it contains estrogen like properties).

You might want to try Hemp and/or an Egg White one. Although Hemp is not really a complete protein you'd still be ok especially since you're probably getting protein from other sources eating Primal.

(You might already know this but thought I'd put it out there since you may not).
Thanks for the reply.

I am a guy. I do avoid soy. Right now, I am finishing up a tub of rice protein powder. It was ok. Not a big fan of the after taste. Next up is a tub of egg white protein powder.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:23 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Larissima
Stats: Waist: 110/100/75cm, 5'10"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 21 Jan 2014
I already posted here saying that I wanted to try dropping dairy, yet I started adding more of it (cream and butter) to add low protein and high fat to my new Nutritional Ketosis approach. I haven't noticed negative side effects, at least not with my skin or weight loss (quite the contrary). I have been feeling more headachy recently, though, but it could be due to the change of weather or even a virus (my OH was off sick for a couple of days and he eats normally).

I might still consider a dairy-free trial if (when!) I experience a stall.
Larissima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:30 AM   #115
Big Yapper!!!!

I did well for about a week and a half. I felt better, my weight was at a low, but damnit I love cheese. My DF doesn't have to be dairy free and he's newly low carbing so I have to buy it and it's just so hard to stay away from it for me.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
You know I was completely Dairy free for nearly 4 weeks....and it was MUCH easier than I expected. Initially I lost 4 pounds right away, but then most of that settled back (Water weight) and my main reason for trying this was to see if it would help the ringing in my ears.....it didn't do a darn thing for that!!
So all of that being said....I have no intention of letting dairy become the main staple that it was before, there are too many darn good alternatives to help me avoid that. HOWEVER, if I feel like a little cheese or HWC then I will have it.....but I will keep it minimized because I do think there is some merit to being dairy free. Just my thoughts!
ladyboss7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: September 10, 2014
Didn't read all the replys yet but read enough to know that the reason my skin hates low carb is my cheese consumption! I could eat cheese at every meal and be happy as a clam but my adult acne gets worse than ever, cyctic acne and all! UGH!!!!! I just bought a bunch of string cheese and don't want to throw it out (no one else in my family likes it) so I'm going to go cheese free for two weeks starting next Monday and see what happens.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: September 10, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBare View Post
TTTMOM, sounds like you have a massive CANDIDA issue.

For those who LOVE their dairy, and seem to really improve health wise and aid in Wt. Loss, I want to challenge you to do a Candida Flush for 2 months with the aid of All Natural Herb Supplements such as Candigone, Oil of Oregano, Grape-seed Extract and eliminate all yeast products including Aspartame which yeast can live on... Hence, Dr. A said to stop the consumption there of... This will give you a jump start on killing the overgrowth of Candida in your mucous membranes and then the possibilities of re-entering dairy into your diet can happen for you.

I suggest that you do a search for Candida Symptoms and give the prodigal a try. OH, and DON'T FORGET TO TAKE A POWERFUL ANTIOXIDANT AND PROBIOTIC DAILY FROM HENCE FORTH...

Hope this helps.

xo
Did I read somewhere that coconut oil consumption also helps with yeart issues?
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:37 AM   #119
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I kept away from the dairy till Easter and then dived back in: no change! I guess that means I'm lucky and I can have my cheese and eat it too!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

I've been off of all dairy for awhile now, including dropping the cheese that I briefly reintroduced.

My skin is definitely better, and so is my digestion.

I'm going to keep off of dairy entirely for at least another month, to see how much better my skin can get. Ideally, it will be perfect !