LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 07:22 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: afurrything
Stats: 240/177/135 5'3"
Start Date: October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyboss7 View Post
Furry, Dairy, specifically cheese was one of my daily staples....the thought of giving it up was pretty overwhelming.....but I've done it for 5 days now and I have noticed great improvement! I've dropped nearly 4 pounds and I don't miss it near as much as I thought I would thanks to some great alternatives I've found. I definitely intend to stay Dairy free for at least 4 - 6 weeks to see if it helps alleviate the ringing in my ears, and if indeed it does then I will be dairy free for life!!
I know! Cheese was one of my go to foods when I hadn't eaten and was getting shaky.
Now that the blue cheese is gone and I have no cheese in the fridge, I'm back to no dairy.
afurrything is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #62
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
My dairy-free mettle was tested this weekend. Friends came from out of town and we have eaten 576 meals out since Saturday morning.

Saturday night we went to our favorite upstairs, bar-type restaurant where we always order nachos. I was strong that night because I was in a race the next day and dairy affects my breathing. I asked the waitress to only put cheese on half the plate of nachos. There was plenty of other stuff and I barely noticed the lack of cheese.

Then last night (after the race, so no big need for deep breathing for a couple of days) we went for pizza and ice cream. I stayed strong and had a big spinach and chicken salad and sorbet.

It really turned out to be not too big of a deal. They are all nice people and would have happily gone somewhere else if I said I wanted to, but I try not to make my issues other peoples' issues and it was fine.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won!
11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
My dairy-free mettle was tested this weekend. Friends came from out of town and we have eaten 576 meals out since Saturday morning.
That's a LOT of meals!! Seriously though....GOOD FOR YOU!!! You made great choices, and proved that it CAN be done!!
ladyboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

I found it difficult to eat out this weekend with all my restrictions.
Of course it didn't help that the name of the restaurant was called Pastaria
For an appetizer they ordered pizza
All the salads had so much stuff in them that once I omitted the stuff I couldn't eat, I would have had a bowl of leaves.
95% of the menu was either pasta or pizza
I was pretty upset but didn't want to seem to be a pain, so I got roasted chicken that was probably brined in something horrible and roasted broccoli that was delicious!
Denied myself birthday cake, homemade gelato and sorbet
Old 03-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afurrything View Post
I found it difficult to eat out this weekend with all my restrictions.
.....so I got roasted chicken....and roasted broccoli that was delicious!
Chicken and broccoli was a great choice! Way to go!

Focus on the positive - we can't always control every aspect of our food environment, but we can make good choices within those constraints, which you did.
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Furry,

Leeloo was exactly right.....you made GREAT choices given the circumstance!! Ok so what if the chicken WAS brined?!?!?! That was a MUCH better choice than Pizza or Pasta!! Take the victories where you can my friend!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
marking my spot to keep up on the dairy and tinnitus-----interesting
Sunny7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Thanks!
It was hard and they asked me if I wanted to go somewhere else, but I knew they were just trying to share one of their favorite places so I did the best I could.
afurrything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
I just finished up two+ weeks dairy-free, and unfortunately didn't see any benefits. No weight loss, no diminishing of my tinnitus (wow was I hopeful about that after reading this thread, but nada), really nothing positive...drat, I was hoping it would be the answer to something. Eliminating it does help some folks, so it is definitely worth a try if you've been thinking about it.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Quote:
Furry,

Leeloo was exactly right.....you made GREAT choices given the circumstance!! Ok so what if the chicken WAS brined?!?!?! That was a MUCH better choice than Pizza or Pasta!! Take the victories where you can my friend!
Exactly. In situations like that I take the brined chicken and don't think twice about it. The only time I would skip it is if the menu said something like, "brined in a sweet combination of honey and molasses" or some such. I had high tea with friends this weekend where everyone had tons of scones and finger sandwiches. I had a cream of crab soup and wedge salad. Pretty sure the cream of crab had some flour or corn starch as thickener. But there was no way I was going to worry about that. Maintained my weight, which is my lowest in a while.
144 by October 28 -- reached October 31
140 by November 25 -- reached December 6
136 by December 30 -- reached January 12
132 by January 27
mimivac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Penguin, that's a shame!! Based on everything I've read though, I would anticipate at least 4 - 6 weeks dairy free before seeing relief of the tinnitus.....at least that's my understanding. I expect everyone's results would likely be different. Very much a YMMV type of thing.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: palegirl
Stats: 249/144/145 2006:199/136/140 2013:206/165/145
WOE: Atkins Sizes:20W-22M/8/8
Start Date: thanksgiving 2002 Height: 5'7 Age:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
I just finished up two+ weeks dairy-free, and unfortunately didn't see any benefits. No weight loss, no diminishing of my tinnitus (wow was I hopeful about that after reading this thread, but nada), really nothing positive...drat, I was hoping it would be the answer to something. Eliminating it does help some folks, so it is definitely worth a try if you've been thinking about it.
on the bright side, now you don't have to give up dairy!
palegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimivac View Post
Exactly. In situations like that I take the brined chicken and don't think twice about it. The only time I would skip it is if the menu said something like, "brined in a sweet combination of honey and molasses" or some such. I had high tea with friends this weekend where everyone had tons of scones and finger sandwiches. I had a cream of crab soup and wedge salad. Pretty sure the cream of crab had some flour or corn starch as thickener. But there was no way I was going to worry about that. Maintained my weight, which is my lowest in a while.
Yep, this is my attitude, too. I had lunch out today and had a Cobb salad minus the bleu cheese (dairy) and asked for vinaigrette dressing. It turned out to be balsamic vinaigrette, which surely has more carbs than I'd like. And I bet the chicken breast was brined, too . But I don't care - it was a good choice and all I can do is keep making good choices. (over and over and over again )
Old 03-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #74
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Oh, I am one of those "I cannot live without my cheese girls" but I fear that means I have to give it up too. On my plan (I am doing hcg right now) the only dairy I am having is the tiny bit I put in my coffee. I cannot have cheese, butter or any fats I so dearly love. I am not even supposed to have that HWC in my coffee, but cannot go without. I have tried and my coffee just isn't the same. I have used coconut milk, half and half and my coffee is lacking something. This past week I have noticed that after drinking my cup of coffee with HWC for breakfast (the only food in my system til lunch) my throat has been "congested" is the only word I can come up with. It has been gunked up with so much phlegm. I am in constant need of clearing my throat. I need to get rid of the dairy, I know I do, but I just cannot seem to do it. I have lost my voice last week--laryngitis due to seasonal pollen allergies. I still won't give up my dairy. Hearing all your victories here hopefully will give me the strength to give it up.....sometime in the near future.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #75
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozley62 View Post
I challenge everyone to give up dairy for 2 weeks & see if it doesn't make a difference. I can eat high carb/low fat or low carb high fat without any sugar spikes, it's only when I add dairy to the mix that I get high sugar readings. Humans are the only spiecies on earth that keeps drinking milk after we're supposedly weened, and we pay a price for it with our health. I've lost weight & never felt better since giving up dairy about a year ago.
We are also the only species that cooks our food. Not saying that giving up dairy might be a good idea but just not for this rationale.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Oh, I am one of those "I cannot live without my cheese girls" but I fear that means I have to give it up too. On my plan (I am doing hcg right now) the only dairy I am having is the tiny bit I put in my coffee. I cannot have cheese, butter or any fats I so dearly love. I am not even supposed to have that HWC in my coffee, but cannot go without. I have tried and my coffee just isn't the same. I have used coconut milk, half and half and my coffee is lacking something. This past week I have noticed that after drinking my cup of coffee with HWC for breakfast (the only food in my system til lunch) my throat has been "congested" is the only word I can come up with. It has been gunked up with so much phlegm. I am in constant need of clearing my throat. I need to get rid of the dairy, I know I do, but I just cannot seem to do it. I have lost my voice last week--laryngitis due to seasonal pollen allergies. I still won't give up my dairy. Hearing all your victories here hopefully will give me the strength to give it up.....sometime in the near future.
Dawn, I know you said you tried Coconut milk, but have you tried coconut cream? I was really surprised to find that coconut cream (in the can) is actually much thicker than HWC, which makes it very rich for my coffee.....at least that's how I find it. I truly do not miss the HWC in my coffee and I really did not think I could give that up. Can you do coconut oil in place of butter?
Old 03-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
We are also the only species that cooks our food. Not saying that giving up dairy might be a good idea but just not for this rationale.
Cathy, that's an AWESOME point!!! That said, I'm really glad I've tried this....being dairy free so far has great benefits for me.....we'll see how it feels 4 or 5 weeks from now!
Old 03-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #78
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Dawn, I know you said you tried Coconut milk, but have you tried coconut cream? I was really surprised to find that coconut cream (in the can) is actually much thicker than HWC, which makes it very rich for my coffee.....at least that's how I find it. I truly do not miss the HWC in my coffee and I really did not think I could give that up. Can you do coconut oil in place of butter?
No, not the cream. I will have to try it once the HWC is gone from my fridge. I really like the oil in the HWC, that is what I want in my coffee. I think I have a can of coconut cream in the pantry. And I have coconut oil. I can replace that one simply. Thanks for the ideas
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:35 AM   #79
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Just wanted to update: so far, I'm still craving dairy, but somewhat less than before. Life is just not in technicolor without cheese, LOL!

No change in how I feel. I think I may have to look elsewhere for the cause of my problems once this experiment is over...
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
I find it very good to give up dairy, personally. My body does not break it down at all. That being said, I have tried ghee and butter and depending on how much, sometimes, I can tolerate it. I am curious if you are referring to all dairy which includes NO butter or just cheese, creams, and other dairy.
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:53 AM   #81
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Since I am doing NK, I don't consume any other dairy apart from cheeses and creams. I don't use milk at all, and I don't currently eat yogurt or kefir. They are too high carb for me at the moment to maintain my NK status. When I do eat cheeses and creams, I buy organic, and favour unpasteurised variants or the fermented/cultured stuff like soured cream and creme fraiche.

I really don't think I have a dairy problem, but like I said, I'll keep this up for another few weeks til Easter, and then slowly add some back to see if I react to it. I guess it's the only way to be sure if I have a dairy problem.

So far, no change in anything. Seeing as I have a northwestern European heritage/ background, according to theory I would be able to have dairy without problems.

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I find it very good to give up dairy, personally. My body does not break it down at all. That being said, I have tried ghee and butter and depending on how much, sometimes, I can tolerate it. I am curious if you are referring to all dairy which includes NO butter or just cheese, creams, and other dairy.
I've given up everything but Butter. I've read a couple of articles / reports about butter being considered more of a fat than a dairy product because of it's extreme high fat content. I hope that's accurate because I really like butter and would prefer to keep it in my diet. I have given up all cheeses and creams and have found excellent substitutes. I don't have issues digesting dairy, I'm just curious to see if it lessens or resolves the ringing in my ears and how much of an impact it will have on my weight loss. I've been dairy free for 1 week now, so that's too soon to see any impact on my ears, HOWEVER, I have lost 4 pounds just from that 1 change alone......so I'm pretty happy.

Be the type of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap....she's up"!!

Made it to Onederland 7/1/14!!!
199 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145
Old 03-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
typically cows milk has larger proteins in it than goat's milk. Therefore it's harder for humans to digest - goat's milk is closer in size to human's. I think that they should use goat milk in babies formula rather than cow I think they'd have less problems (not to mention all the gunk in commercial cows milk).

For butter you might want to try Ghee (butter with the milk solids removed) or Clarified butter. Mostly only the fat is left - you can search on how to make it it's very easy to do.

I also recently tried flax milk - I was very surprised at it had a very mild flavor! The unsweetened one runs about 25 cal and 1gm carbs per cup. The flax milk (for me was way better than soy, coconut, etc.). If you need it sweetened you can add it to taste.

Last edited by webcrystal; 03-26-2014 at 02:53 PM..
webcrystal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:59 AM   #84
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I am lactose intolerant, so when I cut dairy way back to only include minimal aged cheeses and heavy cream, I lose better.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
I read a report somewhere that zinc and/or niacin may help with tinnitus symptoms. Pumkpins seeds are a pretty good source of Zinc.

Also taking asprin, drinking too much caffeine might cause/exacerbate it.

If you want a milk type substitute that is low carb might want to try flax milk (unsweetened). Won't work for the creamer though. I don't drink coffee but I think I've seen SF non-dairy creamer. My friend used to mix in a packet of that no sugar added (or diet version) hot choc. to her coffee.
webcrystal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #86
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
Start Date: 06/22/09
I have come to the point, over the years, that I think I may very well be allergic to dairy and/or lactose intolerant. I've had some serious ear issues (posted about it in the PG) that includes serious itching, and a lot of people said to try to cut dairy and see what happens. I have been saying, NO NO NOOOOO, I love my dairy. I cannot give it up after everything I have given up.

That said, I'm to the point where I think I want to try to cut it out of my diet for a while and see what happens. I can deal with everything except HWC. IDK what to use instead of that. I don't like almond milk in my coffee. For the most part, I drink my coffee black, but I do like some w/ HWC once a day or every couple days.

Anyways, does anyone feel like trying a no dairy challenge? I haven't been in a challenge in a long while and I really need to be active in the forums again lol.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
I have come to the point, over the years, that I think I may very well be allergic to dairy and/or lactose intolerant. I've had some serious ear issues (posted about it in the PG) that includes serious itching, and a lot of people said to try to cut dairy and see what happens. I have been saying, NO NO NOOOOO, I love my dairy. I cannot give it up after everything I have given up.

That said, I'm to the point where I think I want to try to cut it out of my diet for a while and see what happens. I can deal with everything except HWC. IDK what to use instead of that. I don't like almond milk in my coffee. For the most part, I drink my coffee black, but I do like some w/ HWC once a day or every couple days.

Anyways, does anyone feel like trying a no dairy challenge? I haven't been in a challenge in a long while and I really need to be active in the forums again lol.
I'll gladly do it with you! I am new to DF....been doing this for about 9 days now. I was EXACTLY where you are about giving up the dairy.....especially the HWC!! I have found EXCELLENT replacements.....do you have a Sprouts nearby?? They have the best Coconut cream (in a can) that I've found and it is the perfect replacement for HWC. It's thicker than HWC and I don't taste any real coconutty flavor to it. It whips up like whipped cream and with a little sweetener its really good! I use it daily in my coffee and I've used it in soups....I've used it everywhere I'd use HWC and it's worked out better than I would have expected. Oh....and it's half the price of HWC too!!
Old 03-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I have found EXCELLENT replacements.....do you have a Sprouts nearby??
Is Sprouts the brand of coconut cream? Or the store where you get it?

I've seen several brands and I'd love a recommendation.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeloo View Post
Is Sprouts the brand of coconut cream? Or the store where you get it?

I've seen several brands and I'd love a recommendation.
Both....it's the Sprouts store brand, they have their own label on it. It's my favorite one so far!
Old 03-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mulberry
WOE: 8 Hour Diet / low carb
Start Date: January 2014
Think I'm finished with Atkins

Let me get this straight.... I am eating very low carb so that eliminates hundreds of items....then, I should give up all artificial sweeteners so that eliminates all desserts....now the deal is that I should also think about giving up all dairy!!! What the heck is left? A small amount of protein and low carb vegetables. This is not at all what I thought this was going to be. I was MORE than willing to give up (for life if necessary) bread, potatoes, pasta and all things containing sugar, i.e. cakes, cookies, ice cream, and the like. But if I can't have some sugar free Jello with a little whipped cream....or a low carb pizza made with mozzarella .... or utilize the hundreds of low carb recipes that contain artificial sweeteners, cheese, heavy cream, etc....then this has turned into torture instead of a w.o.e. Think I'm done with Atkins
Good for those of you who can do this. I admire you I just know that this would never be the way I would want to eat for the rest of my life. When you can't even have substitutes for the high carb things you once ate....what the heck is left
mulberry is offline   Reply With Quote