Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emily1
Stats: 206.8/150/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2012
I think I would be up to the challenge. Although I would need a very cream like alternative to put in my coffee in the a.m
emily1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emily1 View Post
I think I would be up to the challenge. Although I would need a very cream like alternative to put in my coffee in the a.m
Let me know if you find one!
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Juliemb414
Stats: 355/341/135 5'6", High: 380+?lbs. in 2008
WOE: Atkin's Induction/VLC
Start Date: March 14, 2014
Count me in too!!

Hi All! I am struggling to come back and I know eliminating all dairy has got to be part of the working low carb formula for me. I was a determined low carber in 2010- 2011 and lost a little over 75 lbs. I had lost the first 15 of water weight and went into a super stall...did a bunch of research and figured out that I had a massive candida overgrowth and part of the treatment for that was to commit to a non dairy life.

Once I got it going it really wasn't that hard. I drank coconut milk in my coffee (I like Trader Joe's canned the best too)and ate no cheese or yogurt or hwc. I always had a carton of the SoDelcious plain coconut milk on hand and even used that in my coffee at times. I never was a creamy person (ice cream & yogurt)- but more of a crunchy person (chips and nuts), so when I had the urge for a creamy taste I would use low carb hollandaise sauce, or cream of cauliflower soup (made with coconut milk) as sauces on veges or meat. You will find you can get real creative and not even miss the cheesy creamy thing. Plus you can save a boatload of calories and sodium cutting cheese out. Many don't categorize butter with dairy- but with fat- so I continued to eat butter the whole time. Homemade mayo became my friend. I even got to where I liked it with the buffalo wings I loved that I thought I couldn't imagine with without blue cheese dressing.

I know taking dairy out made a massive difference in my being stalled and let me see the results of the work I was doing on the scale. It also really helped with sinus congestion/mucus, throat phlegm and reduction of mucus in general.

I let some tough life situations draw me back into carbs and dairy and- long story short- I have gained back all of the 75 and am back at the beginning. I know- for me- the candida is back and out of control and the dairy has got to go for me to lose weight. Hope this helped...
Juliemb414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:46 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Everyone!!

I gave up all dairy when I started this time around. Only have 2T. of International Delight sugar-free liquid coffee creamer daily (wanted fast results on the weight loss) and dairy as well as nuts seems to stall the weight loss for me. I've never had an acne problem, so I can't be of help there.

(The creamer has sodium caseinate which is a milk derivative, the process of manufacturing sodium caseinate is significantly different from that of other dairy ingredients; therefore the FDA still classifies this component as a non-dairy ingredient.)

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a diet,
It’s my salvation, my key to being
Healthy, happy and thinner!”
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:56 AM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I'm not eating dairy at the moment... I figured it could be a contributing factor to some ongoing health issues I'm having. I find though that when I actually eat dairy like cheese or so, I have no immediate issues, which makes it harder to give it up!

I decided to see how I feel for six weeks.

Will pop back in to let you know how it went and whether it made a difference.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:49 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
I think I need to cut back on the cheese I love it but I think I'm eating too much of it, especially on weekends. I'm going to go this week without any, but will continue to add the half and half to my coffee in the morning, and see if I can keep the calories down. Other than that, and perhaps a little feta on my salad, I don't eat too much dairy at all.

It's amazing how the calories can really add up!
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:10 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: afurrything
Stats: 240/177/135 5'3"
Start Date: October 2010
So since yesterday I have been dairy free, except butter. Pretty much just omitting cheese since I don't use milk, HWC or eat yogurt.

I've been having pain and inflammation in one of my knees lately and am wondering if it's from dairy. I don't eat salt, never salt anything, so I don't think it's from that. I have this paranoid irrational fear I'm getting lymphedema.
afurrything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I gave up dairy on recommendation from my Dr. I haven't noticed too much - in fact, I thought my stomach seemed more "on edge." I have noticed that all of my cravings went away. Most went away when I eliminated gluten, but eliminating dairy has shut them all down pretty much.

However, this weekend I was on vacation and decided to not be such a **** about my dairy intake - so, I drank cream in my coffee and had a few cubes of cheese. I noticed my stomach seemed a bit off, I started retaining water, having cravings again, and got a cold sore and a pimple behind my ear lobe (weird). I attributed this to traveling, but I think it was the dairy.

Eating dairy free hasn't been much a problem. I was a BIG cheese person and never thought I could give it up, but I had slowly been eliminating dairy over the years (milk started giving me issues), so the final push wasn't so bad. I make my own nut milk and I use that and coconut oil in my coffee. Nutritional yeast on some things, avocado is a great cheese replacer (I find mexican food doesn't need cheese at all if you put enough guac on it ).

But, all in all, I try not to "replace" cheese, just like I try not to "replace" things with gluten in other recipes. I just try find recipes that don't use it or that can easily be modified to not use it. I eat hard boiled eggs instead of yogurt. Stuff like that.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozley62 View Post
I challenge everyone to give up dairy for 2 weeks & see if it doesn't make a difference. I can eat high carb/low fat or low carb high fat without any sugar spikes, it's only when I add dairy to the mix that I get high sugar readings. Humans are the only spiecies on earth that keeps drinking milk after we're supposedly weened, and we pay a price for it with our health. I've lost weight & never felt better since giving up dairy about a year ago.
Challenge accepted here too! I was so fascinated by this thread yesterday that I started googling dairy issues and discovered that dairy is a definite "Too be avoided" food for folks with tinnitus, which I've had all my life! Turns out that most folks with the ringing in the ears issue find that when they eliminate dairy their issues are SIGNIFICANTLY improved. That sealed the deal for me right there! Starting today I am eliminating Dairy for at least 2 - 4 weeks, and we'll see if it not only aids my weight loss but my ears as well.

Be the type of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap....she's up"!!

Made it to Onederland 7/1/14!!!
199 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145
ladyboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #40
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyboss7 View Post
Turns out that most folks with the ringing in the ears issue find that when they eliminate dairy their issues are SIGNIFICANTLY improved.
SHUT UP!

I had ringing in my ears for years. It occured to me while reading your post that they haven't been ringing lately at all.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
SHUT UP!

I had ringing in my ears for years. It occured to me while reading your post that they haven't been ringing lately at all.
Gina, seriously?!?!!? How long ago did you cut out dairy?!?!?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #42
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

It has been about a month, maybe six weeks since I have been serious. I kind of "cut back" for a few weeks before that. It turned up in an allergy panel over a year ago, but I was in denial. The pull of yogurt was too strong.

I kept trying to blame the ringing on gluten (I have known about problems with it for years) but it didn't match up. I also blamed years of blowing a whistle on the playground.

Last edited by GME; 03-18-2014 at 08:58 PM..
Old 03-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

lol, those whistles will get ya every time! I am seriously so encouraged to hear you say that. I didn't think I'd ever give up cheese, but the more I read this thread yesterday them more intrigued I grew......then when I googled dairy issues and the ear thing popped up I nearly dropped my laptop! I showed my hubby all of the articles that popped up about this and he was stunned.....he asked me if it could really be that simple??? I said heck what could it hurt to try?!?!?! If you've had such great results after 4 - 6 weeks then I am REALLY excited! And maybe, just maybe it'll help me with my weight loss too!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #44
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Tammy, I hope it works for you too.

My tinnitus wasn't too too terrible, but it is nice to lay in bed at night and have it be quiet.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:59 AM   #45
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

So last night after posting in this thread, I went to bed. Ringing. I thought, "Oh no. The ringing must have been caused by something else and I just lied to Tammy and the internet." Then I noticed my breathing was a little wheezy. I went over what I had eaten in my mind....... buttercream frosting. I checked the ingredients when I got up..... buttermilk, butter and cream.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
So last night after posting in this thread, I went to bed. Ringing. I thought, "Oh no. The ringing must have been caused by something else and I just lied to Tammy and the internet." Then I noticed my breathing was a little wheezy. I went over what I had eaten in my mind....... buttercream frosting. I checked the ingredients when I got up..... buttermilk, butter and cream.
Oh Gina, that's crazy!!!! One little bit of dairy and the ringing was right back?!?!?! I wonder how long it will take for that to clear out?? Let me ask you......do you eliminate butter too?? I was reading that a lot of these folks in these study groups consider butter more of an oil because of it's extremely high fat content and so they continue to use it.....it seems to be a very mixed bag of thoughts.....what do you do?
Old 03-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: palegirl
Stats: 249/144/145 2006:199/136/140 2013:206/165/145
WOE: Atkins Sizes:20W-22M/8/8
Start Date: thanksgiving 2002 Height: 5'7 Age:35
I'm following this thread with interest. I tried cutting out dairy once and it accelerated my weight loss but I felt terrible so I stopped. I'm currently not eating cheese (except cottage cheese which I love for protein) and I tried coconut milk in my coffee this morning. I liked it hot but not once it started cooling off.

I'm interested in everybody's experiences with cutting dairy. Thanks for sharing.
palegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #48
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Oh Gina, that's crazy!!!! One little bit of dairy and the ringing was right back?!?!?! I wonder how long it will take for that to clear out?? Let me ask you......do you eliminate butter too?? I was reading that a lot of these folks in these study groups consider butter more of an oil because of it's extremely high fat content and so they continue to use it.....it seems to be a very mixed bag of thoughts.....what do you do?
I stayed off even butter until last weekend. I had a couple of tablespoons of Kerrygold and it seemed OK. Otherwise I use soy-free Earth Balance (my family can't believe I would bring any kind of margarine into the house after years of my pro-butter ranting).
Old 03-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #49
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: badnews
Stats: 140/135/110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 3, 2014
I'm really intrigued by this! I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for all your results!
badnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:33 AM   #50
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Quote:
I stayed off even butter until last weekend. I had a couple of tablespoons of Kerrygold and it seemed OK. Otherwise I use soy-free Earth Balance (my family can't believe I would bring any kind of margarine into the house after years of my pro-butter ranting).
Why don't you try ghee? It's clarified butter so shouldn't be a problem for most dairy sensitive people. Or expeller pressed coconut oil? Has the same benefits as the EVCO, just without the taste... I also like Macadamia nut oil, avocado oil, lard and tallow...

So far, I'm not noticing any huge improvements. I'm on week three of no dairy. If only considering my genetic heritage I shouldn't have dairy issues. Maybe I am not dairy sensitive. Anyway, I'm doing this experiment until Easter, and then will add in a little cheese to see if anything happens.

ETA: Leelo, for something creamy in your coffee, you could try unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk/cream...

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:01 AM   #51
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
Why don't you try ghee? It's clarified butter so shouldn't be a problem for most dairy sensitive people. Or expeller pressed coconut oil? Has the same benefits as the EVCO, just without the taste... I also like Macadamia nut oil, avocado oil, lard and tallow....
I haven't tried ghee, but use all those other oils you mentioned. Mostly olive and coconut for cooking and I use avocado oil for mayo and salad dressings. Walnut sometimes in baked-type goods.

The Earth Balance is just for when I need a yellow substance in the shape of a stick to spread on something.

I had a little ringing in my ears when I went to bed last night, but much better than the night before. It certainly seems to be tied to the dairy.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Well, in the two days I have been dairy free (except for a little butter) I have noticed that 1) My keto stick is the DARKEST it's ever been! and 2) I've lost a full pound in 2 days. If the ringing in my ears subsides then this is a win-win all the way around!!!
Old 03-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
This thread got me thinking. Lately about 1-2 hours after I drink my coffee I've been getting a gurgling tummy followed by a trip to the bathroom. Whatever, I thought, no big, I've had weird LC digestion before.

BUT! Today I skipped the HWC in my coffee, just to see. NO RUMBLINGS.

I am kinda mad, actually - I like HWC! I like a little parmesan on my salads! I like blue cheese dressing! My diet is already so limited .

I'm going to give it a more scientific test, but I betcha I'm even more dairy intolerant than I thought. .

leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/202.2/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
I was amazed when I realized how much dairy was stalling me.

If I do low-carb without dairy or alcohol, my losses are as good as they were when I was in my 20's!

It is TOUGH though and sometimes I backslide on dairy because food doesn't taste the same without it. Right now I am determined to lose more weight though: I've been stuck for a bit and I know just what to do...I don't like it a whole lot, but it helps me to know WHY I'm not losing.

I'm a coconut cream girl myself: I like Thai Kitchen. I put it in coffee and even mix it with chocolate and truvia for dessert, sometimes.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Moon mirror, I have just (as of yesterday) discovered the joys of coconut cream....OMG....how have I spent 47 years on this earth and never experienced this before? I think I'm in heaven!! What else do you do with coconut cream?
Old 03-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #56
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I make "cream of ______" soups with it. I like carrot-ginger (not very low carb) and broccoli. It is so easy to throw everything in a pot or crockpot and let it cook for hours, I add the coconut cream then blend it right in the pot with a stick blender. If I want it really creamy I'll run it through the Nutribullet when it cools. I freeze it and take it for work lunches. It is good as a sauce over chicken chunks too.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/202.2/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
Quote:
Moon mirror, I have just (as of yesterday) discovered the joys of coconut cream....OMG....how have I spent 47 years on this earth and never experienced this before? I think I'm in heaven!! What else do you do with coconut cream?
I like to freeze it with berries or chocolate, or put it in coffee, or curries. Its also a vehicle for coconut oil, since CO oil always causes me to lose more weight.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmirror View Post
I like to freeze it with berries or chocolate, or put it in coffee, or curries. Its also a vehicle for coconut oil, since CO oil always causes me to lose more weight.
I love coconut oil in my coffee and now am putting coconut cream in as well. I also discovered that Trader Joes has a fabulous dairy free vegan cream cheese....one of the main ingredients of course is coconut oil!
Old 03-24-2014, 07:14 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: afurrything
Stats: 240/177/135 5'3"
Start Date: October 2010
I've done pretty good, but had some blue cheese dressing yesterday, Just wanted to finish off the jar I had in the fridge.
Otherwise I've been doing great. I guess it was a good thing I didn't use much dairy in the first place Besides cheese and butter I don't eat much dairy. No milk, HWC or yogurt, ewwww.
I can't say I've noticed any changes yet, but I'm going to keep up with it.
afurrything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Furry, Dairy, specifically cheese was one of my daily staples....the thought of giving it up was pretty overwhelming.....but I've done it for 5 days now and I have noticed great improvement! I've dropped nearly 4 pounds and I don't miss it near as much as I thought I would thanks to some great alternatives I've found. I definitely intend to stay Dairy free for at least 4 - 6 weeks to see if it helps alleviate the ringing in my ears, and if indeed it does then I will be dairy free for life!!