Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Help! I Keep Gaining Weight!!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/825874-help-i-keep-gaining-weight.html)

HappyisNow 03-13-2014 03:03 AM

Help! I Keep Gaining Weight!!!

I've been lying to myself and telling me that I've been low carbing, or doing keto. I would eat lots of fat in the morning and during majority of the day, but at night time I would allow myself to eat carbs, a bite here and there, and even last night, I had a whole bag of those green pea chips from Wegmans. They are healthier than potatoe chips, but definitely not low carb if I eat the entire bag.

So my daily routine and struggle finds me now above 200 again!!!

What should I do? I am a midnight worker so on my days off my schedule is one way and on my days on my eating schedule is completely flipped.

At this point I'm so burned out from effing up and gaining instead of losing, I'm down on myself, and I don't see a way out!!!

Guidance and support needed here!!

Larissima 03-13-2014 05:13 AM

Step away from those chips!

I completely empathise with you, as that was my whole last year, until I balooned so much I was bursting out of my clothes :(

My advice is - stock up on meat/fish/eggs and some salad veggies (LC foods you like to eat) and EAT a lot of those for the first week or so. Big meals, try no snacking, but if you feel like some, grab a hunk of meat instead of snacky things. After a while, when ketosis really kicks in, you'll find it much easier to resist temptation (or even will not get tempted at all).

Good luck!!!

Jackie123 03-13-2014 05:32 AM

Plan. Your. Food. Plan it exactly, and stick to the plan for a week no matter what. After the first few days, it will be easier. Don't buy foods that you know that you will over eat: I'm the same way with nuts that you are with those chips. I just can't have them, because I won't stop eating them.

It sounds harsh, but it does work, I promise

cprcheetah 03-13-2014 05:38 AM

Even on my day's off I prepare all my meals (well breakfast and lunch and snacks) the night before, I have a lunch bag I keep in my fridge. If it's not in my bag, it doesn't get eaten. That way I'm not tempted to cheat as I know what I am 'allowed' to eat.

Aimee 03-13-2014 05:54 AM

Don't buy food you can't eat. That's what I do. Trust me, if it were in the house, I would find a way in my brain to justify it. It's SO nice to get up in the morning and weigh in with a clean conscience. I agree with everyone above saying to plan your meals and don't go off that plan. I do that too and it works.

Aomiel 03-13-2014 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimee (Post 16835522)
Don't buy food you can't eat. That's what I do. Trust me, if it were in the house, I would find a way in my brain to justify it. It's SO nice to get up in the morning and weigh in with a clean conscience. I agree with everyone above saying to plan your meals and don't go off that plan. I do that too and it works.

:goodpost:

Ditto. I found I had to clean my pantry of every food I couldn't have...including things like flour, cornmeal, etc. that would allow me to bake what I couldn't have.

Evenings were always the hardest for me but I discovered that getting rid of the tv (except for netflix and amazon prime) helped *a lot*. I didn't realize how much those food commercials were responsible for subverting me. Then I found something to keep my hands busy. It wasn't enough to just engage my mind. I had to be physically busy as well. Quilting, cross stitch, putting puzzles together, etc. There's just something about the brain/hand combination that keeps my mind off food.

I also stopped snacking and only eat 3 meals. After 14+ months of doing this consistently, it has become habit...and let me tell you, previously I never sat down to meals. I was an all day 'grazer'.

What a lot of people don't realize...and what defeats them in the end...is that this is not just about eating the right foods. It's also about changing bad lifestyle habits.

wcwendy 03-13-2014 08:44 AM

It's OK that your eating schedule isn't the same from day to day. :)

moondogii 03-13-2014 09:02 AM

I was doing so good..Weight came down, blood sugar came way down..Then I discovered cream cheese clouds. Everything went right back up and I'm so disappointed in myself..The only thing we can do is jump right back on..Good Luck to you

Aimee 03-13-2014 09:39 AM

Oooo I did the exact same thing with cream cheese clouds!!!!! UH! I WAS SO MAD AT MYSELF!!! Those things are addicting! Same with fat bombs. I just don't have the willpower to have those things sit in my house and only eat 1 a day.

Trigger828 03-13-2014 09:55 AM

Your join date is 2002 so you are no low carb newbie are you?

You know what ya gotta do NO MATTER WHAT.

white knuckle out the carbs. PERIOD.

If you don't take control now, you are allowing yourself to cheat, go overboard, and with all the results that come with carbing out.

Only you can put down the food and only you can stop the excuses of 'eating a bit and there'.

WE ALL GO THRU it at some point. We all do. Time to pony up and quit the excuses and start low carbing. like others said PLAN YOUR LC FOODS and SNACKS.

My family is mod. carb. I am lower. I have tons of other foods in the house from kid junk to hubbys fav junk. I am getting thru it. It is a matter of WHAT YOU want in life and how you want to eat and what makes you feel best.

Choices. We all have them. Stand strong and go for it. Commit.

and best of luck to you.

ladyinlove56 03-13-2014 10:06 AM

I agree with everyone..
This is a commitment for yourself..
Clean the kitchen of all bad things...yes.....
Plan meals no matter for home or work..
Plan sm. snacks if you need them to start with...the craving goes away for many ....
Find projects to work on that do not have food involved in the activity...
Know that support is all around you here...so go for it...

susan41 03-13-2014 10:25 AM

I agree with everything above, however one thing that helped me and helps me still often is reading LC topics, books and the actual science behind LC. Learning and knowing what I know now from books like Keto Adapted, Good Calories Bad Calories, Wheat Belly (this especially) really helps keep me on track. Knowing how terrible a high carb, highly processed diet is for me and millions of others keeps me out of the crappy food.

NanaMary 03-13-2014 02:14 PM

If you're like me, clearing out your cupboards may not be possible. I live with my hubby and my grown daughter (28) and her daughter (4), and they are all healthy weight and eat pretty much what they want. Also, I bake professionally for extra income, so I often find myself surrounded by yummy things I can't eat! It's not easy, believe me. This may not be the most appropriate quick snack but it sure helps me when I see my DD eating tortilla chips (like a few minutes ago!)...take a piece of deli American cheese or the deluxe version, cut it into sixteen squares, place them about in inch apart on a piece of parchment paper, and microwave anywhere from 45 seconds to a minute and 15 seconds. Let them cool off (only about a minute). They come out like puffy little cheese crackers. Because a lot of the moisture evaporates they are really crispy and the flavor is concentrated and salty. This trick has literally saved me from a chip binge more than once. I only allow myself three or four slices a couple times a week, but it's worth it to save myself from eating junk.

hockey_gal 03-14-2014 08:20 PM

My family is not low carb so we have lots of no-go foods around too. My two tips to you would be this - make yourself some low carb treats to get over this. Try to make them as healthy and low carb as you can, while still satisfying that "bad' instinct. It can help. But aim to reduce your use as you go. Also, if you simply NEED to "cheat" (I don't use that word) then eat something healthy! My favorite cheat is strawberries or a low sugar bran muffin. I laugh now bc a small bran muffin is a "cheat" and I feel guilty eating it. But at 9pm the university cafeteria is closed and that is my healthiest option...

Every day is a new day to try again! You can do this.

JudyJo 03-14-2014 09:59 PM

You've got all the good advice and support right at your fingertips....literally! Right here.

So forgive yourself.....quit beating yourself up and sign a contract with yourself that every time you feel tempted, you'll get on this keyboard and write out those feelings of craving and frustration until they ease up.....one day at a time, girl!

YOU REALLY CAN DO THIS! :hugs:

Casey 03-15-2014 05:07 AM

Read the books that explain the science behind why low carb works - you're re-training your body to burn fat for fuel instead of carbs. As soon as you take in carbs, your body wants to use those first and stores the fat! If you cheat, the "good fat" works against you. Also - I'm with you guys about those cream cheese clouds, fat bombs and nuts. I have no portion control. I can be so controlled in so many areas of my life, and I get disappointed with myself when I over eat - even if it's low carb and on plan, overeating will cause weight gain.