Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kaava
Stats: 202/200/155
WOE: lc
Start Date: 2/16/2014
Just Cutting Wheat and Sugar (and most dairy)

Hi There,
Has anyone had good weight loss results just by cutting sugar, wheat and most dairy...and keeping the carbs under 100 grams per day?
kaava is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
My current plan (started almost two weeks ago) is to cut out all gluten, almost all grains, and as much sugar as is humanly possible, but not dairy. I'm trying to keep my carbs below 30g, ideally below 20.

As a result my calorie intake has dropped, so I have been able to lose about 6-7 pounds. I think the results will vary for everyone, because we eat different quality foods and exercise differently (if at all). I haven't worked out at all in two weeks and eat only whole foods as much as possible. I also have upped my fat intake to compensate for the low carbs...it helps with satiety.

Personally I believe just cutting out gluten is a great start for weight loss-you will find that you're consuming less calories as a result, I bet.
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ueguy1985
Stats: 255/225/195
Start Date: 7/15/2013
You're basically describing what I do. I cut out all grains so not just wheat, sugar, and potatoes. I still have all the dairy I want with the exception of milk. I have all veggies I want. I don't really count carbs too hard and I'd say most days I'm in the 30-40 range. I feel like this is sustainable. Every once in a while I splurge on a sweet potato or a few corn chips. I do drink alcohol which is the main thing that slows me down.
ueguy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ueguy1985 View Post
You're basically describing what I do. I cut out all grains so not just wheat, sugar, and potatoes. I still have all the dairy I want with the exception of milk. I have all veggies I want. I don't really count carbs too hard and I'd say most days I'm in the 30-40 range. I feel like this is sustainable. Every once in a while I splurge on a sweet potato or a few corn chips. I do drink alcohol which is the main thing that slows me down.
I drink wine too-and sometimes I will have vodka. It's the very one thing I really don't want to give up...I'll give up pizza, pasta, bread...just don't take my wine! And I will have potatoes or brown rice occasionally...just a bit.

I'm still new to this so I'm trying to eat the same thing a lot of the time and keep track of it all. Once I settle in, maybe once I hit my goal weight, I will try adding a few things back in.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ella5
I've lost pounds by giving up almost all dairy, gluten/wheat/grains, and most sugars.
I never did get into using the artificial sweeteners, though I tried, and still have some on hand. I quit eggs in early Dec, followed by almost all dairy.
I work to keep carb consumption lower than 10 or 20 a day.
I use butter, salted and sweet on foods and in beverages. I eat some food with "wraps" occasionally, but am finding replacements for those: romaine leaves, in particular.
I use a bit of honey to remove the bitterness of cocoa.
So my main foods now are above the ground veggies, especially the leafy greens, meats, and fats.
I do an occasional "carb day" to keep this woe sustainable, but what that means for me generally is a meal that might be 50 carbs or so.
So far, things are good. Good luck to you.
Ella5
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Larissima
Stats: Waist: 110/100/75cm, 5'10"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 21 Jan 2014
It sounds like a good Paleo/Primal plan (the difference is in the dairy). It can be a very healthy way of eating, and in my experience can result in a moderate weight loss. I suppose it depends on how sensitive you are to carbs, as well as how much you have to lose. In my case (very, and a lot), I find it much easier to cut my carbs way down (including cutting out sugar/sweeteners and grains).

Good luck!
Larissima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Try it and if the weightloss isn't what you hope, then start backing down until you find that sweet spot.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/170/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
My hubby lost about a hundred one just cutting out gluten, potatoes, corn, and sugar from our diet back in 2010. I lose on 50-100 carbs per day
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: teridanny
Stats: 191.5/184/170ish?
WOE: Sugarbusters/SB
Start Date: Feb. 8, 2014
kaava - Sounds similar to what I have been doing. I started 33 days ago now! The first 2 weeks I had a woosh weight loss of about 10# of mostly water weight and bloating! The next 2 weeks I have lost but slowly about another 1.5#'s.

I do not count anything really! I started b/c my doctor said my sugar test came back high and was told to watch my carbs. I am trying to make this a sustainable eating plan for life. I landed on the Sugar busters and the South Beach plans. They seem to be dooable! And I can drink WINE! South Beach allows for Whole Grains even whole wheat flours(generally I stay away from them as flours are a weak whole grain). I kept the dairy though - I will start to limit these as it does have sugar if I do not keep losing. I would like to get out of the overweight range. I do stay away from all whites - rice, potaties, grains, flours!

Now that being said I do think the wine is what is making me lose so slowly! I have a glass that has a 6oz line on it and make sure that I do not overpour! I usually drink 2 glasses a night. I also make sure that I drink with dinner and try not to eat or drink anything after 8pm! Note - I am willing to forgo dairy for weight loss before wine ..

I am still expiermenting- About 10 days in I bought a journal to write down what I eat so that I can tell if I have added to many whole grains or too much dairy back in... It is working for me... lets hope it continues for another 15 #'s
teridanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
Try it and if the weightloss isn't what you hope, then start backing down until you find that sweet spot.
Janknitz- do you have thoughts on how rapid my weight loss would be if I my starting point is ~162 and I want to lose about 20lbs? I know that heavier people tend to lose pounds faster at first when they make changes to diet...I'm down about 6-7 pounds after a couple weeks, and I'm wondering what to expect - continue at that rate, or will I slow down?

Wondering if those with more experience might have any input? Thanks.