LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheBigKahuna
Stats: 290/233/220
WOE: reduced carb
Start Date: January 2014
Energy levels seem low

I started low carb in mid-January. I stayed at induction levels for a month or so. I have added some carbs, but not much. I haven't been able to exercise much since starting. But lately, I feel "weak" or lethargic. Not sure if this is left over from having some type of flu last week, or not. But I took my dog for a walk this AM, and by the time I got back, I was worn down feeling. I can usually go for a 3-4 mile walk with no problems at all. Did some yardwork last week and after about 30 minutes of raking, I was exhausted. Not physically, where I'm breathing heavy, etc. Just felt run down, like when you "bonk" or crash.

I am looking into joining a gym again. But am worried that I won't have the energy to exercise for an hour or so at a time.

Is this normal 2 months into low-carb eating?
TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Drago
Stats: 336/280/235
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Jan 2014
What are you eating? Are you getting enough fat? Are you getting enough sleep?
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 7/30/14...166.6/165.1/125
I have read in a few different places that you can reverse the fatigue of low carbing by increasing your salt intake. Not table salt, but good quality sea salt or pink salt. You could try this, unless of course you have docs orders against salt.
Another thing that may be going on could be food intolerance. Eggs and dairy are a big one for a lot of people who low carb, you may not have any kind of allergic reaction, but just feel generally fatigued. You could always try eliminating those things for a few weeks and then re-introducing them one at a time to see how you feel.
Good luck! Hope you're feeling better soon!
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
yea normal.
2 months into lc I was TIRED with a capitaol T BUT I was also feeling better than general
You are changing over and ajusting
when I get that feeling 'now being way longer on plan' I eat more fat. it is the fuel!
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerickson
Stats: 195/185.6/125?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2, 2014
I was curious about this too. I am only on my second week of induction, so my gym workouts are terrible right now. It is going to be a bummer if it lasts 2 months or longer!
jerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
eat more fat plus it is a change we all dealt with
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I'll try to keep the "more fat" thing in mind.

I feel like my weight loss could be accelerated with more exercise. I'm going to have some free time and feel like going to a gym to work out would be great right now, but I don't think I have the energy to work out that strenuously. I haven't been doing any of my regular exercise or physical stuff in months now.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 117/112
WOE: Ketosis/Mod Fat
Absolutely do the exercise. I think it will help with energy levels, but that is just my opinion.
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
If you are exercising to help with weight loss, you might only want to do resistance training. Aerobic exercise can be counter productive due to adrenal stress and other reasons. Most people think of exercise as a 'calories in/ calories out' type of strategy and that is simply put, wrong.

Your fatigue can be for a number of reasons and the most obvious is keto adaption. If you are in and out of ketosis, that can be the problem. You want to be sure that you are truly adapted.

Last edited by clackley; 03-10-2014 at 04:22 PM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I'm exercising because I haven't been able to, or had much time for it lately. Even though I've been overweight all of my adult life, I've always been active. I've mountainbiked for years. I used to lift weights and work out before my son was born. I ride dirt bikes, hike, play softball, etc. I'm not a full blown couch potato. I also have watched my blood pressure creep up over the last two years. I've always had good results at my annual checkup, and usually surprise the nurse after they weigh me. They'd check my BP and immediately ask if I'm on BP medication. They automatically assumed someone who weighed 285-290 was surely knocking on deaths' door and had to be on BP meds. But now, it's crept up to the pre-hypertension level, and I figured I HAD to lose the weight now. I've always had some sort of activity in my life, but the last year or so, between school, work, and being a part time stay at home dad, I simply ran out of hours in the day. I used to push my son in a stroller, for a 4 mile walk, at least 2 or 3 times a week. Now, I have a dog who could use the daily walks too. And now that it' no longer 36* and raining everyday, I'd like to at LEAST do the walking thing.

Last edited by TheBigKahuna; 03-10-2014 at 04:58 PM..
Old 03-11-2014, 04:23 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
Clackley nailed it, you said you upped carbs, how many we talking here? If you're just out of ketosis you're gonna have a bad time.
To the others, wait till you're Keto adapted before doing workouts, 3/4 weeks...
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:36 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetA
Stats: 185/153/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart January 2014
You said you had the flu last week. It could be as simple as that. You may not be fully recovered from the flu yet.
JanetA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, I'm hoping it was flu related. I don't remember feeling like this for the weeks previous. Only the first week of induction.