Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Milk Shakes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/825095-milk-shakes.html)

ditzybev 03-09-2014 09:10 PM

Milk Shakes

I was given some Atkins shakes that expired in October 2013. They had been refrigerated from purchase until about two months ago and have never been in a heated area. Would they still be okay to use?

ella5 03-09-2014 09:20 PM

There should be an 800 number on the box, but of course, they will probably tell you to purchase new ones. Are they to be refrigerated? Or only after opening?

Let us know what they say.
Ella5

dolphinron 03-10-2014 02:20 AM

One time I found some old Alba shake mix packages that were misplaced and they were over two years old, I still had them, no problems luckily. I hate to waste money. I know they are different but had to share because I love the Alba double fudge shakes.

natural_born_texan 03-10-2014 09:02 AM

I would think that they are still good.

clackley 03-10-2014 09:27 AM

Those dates are all best before. That means that they may lose some quality but not that they are bad. I would think that refrigeration would only improve the odds that they are just as good as when first made.

Trigger828 03-10-2014 09:43 AM

throw them.
who needs gut problems for a few bucks? or med bills if severe.
it isn't worth it :) :)
frugal gal here but not at my health's expense.

Lioness0455 03-10-2014 09:52 AM

Does the date actually say "expires by?" The only dates I have seen on grocery products is a "sell by" date. Not an expiration date. That's simply the date the manufacturer will guarantee the product to be fresh still. Most products are still good and completely safe to consume long after that date.

scintillady 03-10-2014 02:25 PM

I would still drink them, but then I'm more frugal and take more risks than some I know. I have had huge disagreements with my roommate who cleans out the fridge and throws away things of mine that are perfectly good just because it's past the sell by date. I routinely buy things from a food warehouse that are frozen just before the sell by date. It says "use or freeze by". Canned goods are safe to eat for years, they just may not taste as good and may lose a little quality. The only thing that absolutely must be removed from the shelves when they are past the sell by date are baby foods and formula. I once worked with a guy who went down to the big chest freezer and started pulling out all the packages of frozen meat and he was going to throw them away because he said they were all expired. He didn't get the concept of the fact that we had stocked the freezer with meat precisely so that we could take advantage of sales, and that it didn't "expire" while in the freezer.

ella5 03-10-2014 07:27 PM

I'd still give them a try, too. But that's me.
Ella5

Arctic_Mama 03-11-2014 12:58 AM

Pop one, sniff it, taste and watch for potential symptoms. If it smells good and was sealed and stored in a cooler area that it a great sign. I'd eat it, myself. But then again a quarter of the condiments in the door of my fridge have passed their dates and I still use them fearlessly. If they don't taste or smell off or have any signs of deterioration they're good enough for me :)

Aomiel 03-11-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigger828 (Post 16830984)
throw them.
who needs gut problems for a few bucks? or med bills if severe.
it isn't worth it :) :)
frugal gal here but not at my health's expense.

I had some protein shakes that had expire like 2 months before and didn't know it. I shook it up, stuck a straw in it and the first mouthful got some nasty little chunks. I'd toss them and I'm with Trigger...better safe than sorry.

ueguy1985 03-11-2014 12:55 PM

I'd drink them

Mistizoom 03-11-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aomiel (Post 16832703)
I had some protein shakes that had expire like 2 months before and didn't know it. I shook it up, stuck a straw in it and the first mouthful got some nasty little chunks. I'd toss them and I'm with Trigger...better safe than sorry.

Yup, I poured out some Premier Protein shakes that were less than a week beyond the expiration date and they were all chunky. Gross. I'd toss the Atkins shakes, they are dairy products in an aseptic package and the date says "Enjoy By" 5 months ago. Toss.