LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: palegirl
Stats: 249/144/145 2006:199/136/140 2013:206/165/145
WOE: Atkins Sizes:20W-22M/8/8
Start Date: thanksgiving 2002 Height: 5'7 Age:35
My plateau

You guys, I'm stalled. I've been holding steady in the low 170s for 7 weeks. I've always had success taking a kinda laid back approach to my diet (like many others, I've successfully dieted off these same lbs several times over.) But this past week I have decided to "white knuckle" the next 11 lbs off my bod. I'm 170 today and 159 is technically the weight the BMI charts call the difference between "overweight" and "healthy weight' -- I know BMI is bogus but I just want so badly to get down to that 159. I know I'm fit and healthy but I just want to not *technically* to be overweight.

I'm going a little nutso so I wanted to check in here just for some accountability and encouragement and perspective. I have two images to share, a photo and a graph.

I need to remind myself that I'm doing great and I look great. I get tons of positive reinforcement all the time. My dad sent me an email this morning that said "thinking of you!" with a photo he took of me when we went to Europe together last fall. When I saw it I knew it was an almost identical pose to a photo I took in January one day when I caught my image in the mirror and was surprised by how lean I looked. I snapped a photo to text my bff. So here are those photos. I'm actually wearing that exact shirt right now, and I'm 1 lb lighter today than I was that day. And in the photo from Paris I weighed about 20 lbs more. So I'm trying to feel good about all of the weight I have lost, even though I'm stalled.

This week I've cut all nuts and cheese. I had gotten a bit snacky-snacky with the nuts and the cheese. I'm not eating at all outside of coffee and 2 meals a day. Most days I'm eating one meat & veg meal at lunch time and and one 2 egg omelette with cottage cheese and sf jam in the late afternoon. After work I workout and if I feel hungry after working out I just go to bed. If I'm so hungry I can't sleep I take a teaspoon of fish oil. It's pretty drastic and not sustainable in the long term but I've been going strong since Monday and I'm going to go hard at it for at least another week.

My workouts are great, I'm super fit right now. I run 3 days a week for 1-2 hours and lift weights 3x/wk.

I know I'm doing everything "right," and if I stick to it the weight WILL COME OFF. GAAAHHHH!!

I'm also trying to calm down about all this. I'm kinda laughing at myself over this post, but I'm going to post it anyway! xoxo

8/13-3/14 206/164.5/145?

I'm losing weight sloooooowly now.
palegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/141/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Sounds like you're doing everything right. Did you hit these plateaus the last time? I never really had a stall but I have always lost in bits and spurts. 7 weeks sounds like a long time but I can stay around the same wt for about that long and then drop 3 lbs over night. I guess the closer to goal we get the more stubborn the lbs. keep up the great work. You look amazing😊
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

No! I've never stalled before! That's why I'm going crazy!

SHOULDN'T IT BE EASY!?!?!? hahahaha! sigh. I've been on these boards for 11 years. I was 21 then. I'm not 21 anymore.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Have you lost any inches?
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #5

BMI is worthless. It is meaningless when it comes to "healthy weight."
Old 03-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: phealphrea
After you workout you "should" eat, especially after lifting weights, to build that lean muscle mass. I workout after work and don't want to eat a "meal" right before bedtime, but I eat one of those 100 calorie servings of nuts, a hard boiled egg and a Quest or Atkins bar. Your metabolism is raring to go after a good workout and you need to refuel. I have found that when I am stalling, it's because my body is in starvation mode from too few calories. Try to intentionally up your calories and see what happens. It can be hard to wrap your mind around increasing your calories, but with strenuous exercise, that's what needs to be done. Been there, learned that lesson very well.
phealphrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/141/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegirl View Post
No! I've never stalled before! That's why I'm going crazy!

SHOULDN'T IT BE EASY!?!?!? hahahaha! sigh. I've been on these boards for 11 years. I was 21 then. I'm not 21 anymore.
Me too! I used a different name back then and for the life of me I cannot remember what it was...thus the new identity😊.
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I have not lost inches in that time, I have been measuring because I'm doing another weight loss program, Precision Nutrition Lean Eating which I started, by coincidence, in mid-January right about when I stopped losing weight. Ha ha ha.

And I know I know I know that BMI is meaningless. But somebody put a number on the term "overweight" and darn it I'm going to beat that number!!!! RAAARRRRR!!!! hahaha!
Old 03-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochic View Post
Me too! I used a different name back then and for the life of me I cannot remember what it was...thus the new identity��.
Hey Lisa, I like your term "Atkinesque"!
Old 03-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #10

Quote:
I have not lost inches in that time, I have been measuring because I'm doing another weight loss program, Precision Nutrition Lean Eating which I started, by coincidence, in mid-January right about when I stopped losing weight. Ha ha ha.

And I know I know I know that BMI is meaningless. But somebody put a number on the term "overweight" and darn it I'm going to beat that number!!!! RAAARRRRR!!!! hahaha!
Do you know your calories? Too low can be as bad as too high. I once stalled from what is called "over-dieting." Too much exercise combined with too few calories. An online LC guru advised me to increaase my calories by 400, take a week completely off working out, and make sure to get 8 hours sleep per night. I lost several pounds that week.

I've also stalled from specific foods that led me to mindlessly overeat.

I kind of hope my BMI never reaches "normal." I want to look better than that. lol...
Old 03-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #11

You stopped losing after switching to the Precision Nutrition Lean Eating plan?
Old 03-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, but the new plan didn't have me change the way I eat, I basically continued eating as I had been but stepped up my exercising at that time. I'm not at all trying to say that doing PN caused my stall.

And no, I don't track calories at all.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Yes, but the new plan didn't have me change the way I eat, I basically continued eating as I had been but stepped up my exercising at that time. I'm not at all trying to say that doing PN caused my stall.

And no, I don't track calories at all.
Then, it may be the foods you have just eliminated. Too much food.

Or it could be too much exercise for the amount of food you are eating & you need to eat more.

If you don't lose within a few days I would suggest stopping the exercise & see what happens. If stopping causes you to lose I would say not that the exercise stalled you but that perhaps you were not eating enough to fuel the workouts.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

I think it's that last little spike on the graph, where my weight crept up until it hit 175 again last week where I just kinda lost it and was like OH NO WAY NUH-UH! I was like FORGET PATIENCE! I KNOW HOW TO DIET, I WILL DIET THIS OFF!!!! RAAARRR! I WILL DIET SO HARD!!!

Okay, I'm embarrassing myself now.

To answer your last post, Deb, I have been running 3x/wk since September and When I started PN I added in strength training 3x/wk. So, yes, it's possible that this stall is at least in part due to body recomp which is in no way a negative. But I don't really think that's it.

Your idea that I'm not adequately fueling my workouts is interesting to me. I do think that's possible for my weekly long run. Tomorrow I'm scheduled to run 11 miles, and runs over 10 miles I begin to think I should possibly be fueling on the road. I should experiment with that but in the running threads on the exercise boards here, when this topic comes up, nobody has any real ideas or solutions. (The standard "fuel" that distance runners eat is basically a packet of glucose. So no-go.)
Old 03-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
I lost better when I gave up dairy. I think it was causing inflammation and stalling for me
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:45 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetA
Stats: 185/153/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart January 2014
I think you've made amazing progress, and I'm interested to see which suggestions you take, and how they work for you. It's all well and good to know that a stall is "just" a stall, until it happens to YOU!
JanetA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
When my daughter did her half marathon in Vegas in November, there was a gel pac that was all protein, no sugar. I just can't remember what it's called! I'll see if I can find out.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetA View Post
I think you've made amazing progress, and I'm interested to see which suggestions you take, and how they work for you. It's all well and good to know that a stall is "just" a stall, until it happens to YOU!
LOL, so true. Finding this thread interesting because I have hit my first official stall---6 weeks---for the first time in a year. But for me, I can't go any more "RAAARRRRR!" then I am --- too diet like and that never works for me in the end.

Doing weights could be a part of the stall, as it can add weight in muscle, but so good for you and good for how one looks.

Good luck pale girl, will be interested to hear how your experiment turns out!
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Blue Skies, are you just going to keep on keeping on and ride out your stall? I totally respect that.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Quote:
I think I'd be very hungry eating as little as you describe, especially if working out as much as you are.

That said, how do you like the Precision Nutrition program? I love the stumptuous site, and I see that the same Krista is involved with the Precision Nutrition program. I'd love to see some of the results pictured on that page!

(p.s. Is what you're eating now recommended by your program? It seems kind of diet-y compared to Krista's usual advice on her site.)
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bluepetals
Stats: 227.4/227.4/???
Start Date: 5'1"
Don't have any advice, just wanted to say that you look terrific!! And wish you good luck on finding a solution to getting you to the goal you want.
Bluepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
What quantities of nuts and cheeses are you eating?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Unless you know your body composition, I wonder if it might be counterproductive for you to focus on losing weight unless you can be positive that it's body fat you're losing rather than lean body mass (LBM) and whether or not the BMI range is even vaguely appropriate for you.

I currently weigh 117lbs: I have 30.1% body fat (approx. 34.6lbs of fat and I'm 5'4"+). Yes, I could probably benefit from losing some of that body fat but the risk of losing LBM is fairly high and I don't have it to lose. Some of the other women in the JUDDD forum have had their body composition assessed and those around my height range from 104-156lbs of LBM. It might be wholly inappropriate for the women at the higher end of that range to attempt to get into the 'normal' BMI range for their heights and several of them have made peace with the issue that attaining a 'normal' BMI is not a reasonable goal for them.

I've no idea if this might be relevant for you but thought I should mention it.

Nov 2014 A DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeloo View Post
how do you like the Precision Nutrition program? I love the stumptuous site, and I see that the same Krista is involved with the Precision Nutrition program. I'd love to see some of the results pictured on that page!
Leeloo, that's exactly why I signed up--Krista from Stumptuous wrote the program (the daily lessons) and is the head coach of the LE program. I'm kinda addicted to their "hall of fame" page, especially the oldest age group. I love the fit granny pics! Yes, I want results like that.

I'm on week 9 of the program and so far haven't really gotten a ton out of it, to be honest, although I am following their prescribed workouts and practicing the bi-weekly habits. The first few nutrition habits were aimed at portion control, and the most recent two have been about meal comp. I'm working through the steps but I already eat in the ways they've recommended so far.

Although they have you fill out a comprehensive survey when you sign up there is literally no matchmaking process for assigning you to a team or coach, the assignments are totally random. I wish Krista was my coach. She doesn't coach a team, she coaches the coaches. I'm not sure my coach is the best-fit for me, but there's a mentor on my team (someone who had a lot of success in the program 2 years ago) who I really respond to, and she happens to live in my city so we met for a walk and lunch a few weeks ago, that was interesting.

If you just follow the program each day I'm pretty sure you can spend an entire year in the program and never hear from your coach personally. They expect you to be pro-active and ask the coach for specific advice. I've emailed with my coach a few times but it's kind of a frustrating process because I basically say "I'm having this stall, I'm frustrated, this is what I'm trying" and she basically says okay, let me know how that works for you. Because I follow Atkins she has written to me several times that people gain weight when they go off Atkins. Finally I wrote her a message saying that's cool because I don't intend to go off Atkins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
What quantities of nuts and cheeses are you eating?
As of now, zero! I haven't had any nuts or cheese for one week, and I'm going to try to eliminate them for the entire month of March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Unless you know your body composition, I wonder if it might be counterproductive for you to focus on losing weight unless you can be positive that it's body fat you're losing rather than lean body mass (LBM) and whether or not the BMI range is even vaguely appropriate for you.
I definitely have fat to lose. My upper body is lean but I have excess fat in my stomach, back, hips and thighs. I'm lifting weights 3 times a week to attempt to maintain or increase muscle.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Interesting insight into the program - thanks for sharing!

I've had similar frustrations with the nutritional aspects of personal training before, in the sense that if I already have my eating dialed in, they don't have much to contribute. A lot of times, I think an experienced low-carber who reads probably knows more about nutrition than your average trainer or nutritionist.

But I definitely need the exercise training - that's an area that I don't have much experience with.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:24 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Blue Skies, are you just going to keep on keeping on and ride out your stall? I totally respect that.
Yep. For now that's what I'm going to do. Not comfortable dropping calories any more than I have since the new year, happy w/my carb goals---they are doable and sustainable for me. Do watch my cheese and nuts more these days.

Not a big exercise fan, but come spring I hope to get more walking in, and have it on my list of challenges to start doing weights again a bit.

I have been on too many successful diets that I couldn't maintain. I could eat way less, exercise like mad and lose the weight. I just couldn't keep doing that, and then the weight comes back.

In another month, I could change my mind, but for now, I'm going to keep on keepin' on. I'm about 15 lbs from my goal, having lost a bunch already. In all
weight loss efforts I've experienced, it always gets slower and tougher the less you weigh and the closer you get to goal.

Might take me most of the rest of the year to get to goal, even though it's not many pounds compared to what I lost last year. We'll see how long my patience lasts.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Because I follow Atkins she has written to me several times that people gain weight when they go off Atkins. Finally I wrote her a message saying that's cool because I don't intend to go off Atkins.
Love this answer! Atkins 4 lyfe!
Old 03-11-2014, 07:05 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Because I follow Atkins she has written to me several times that people gain weight when they go off Atkins.
This has got to be my biggest pet peeve. People who say 'if you go off Atkins, you'll gain weight'. DUHHH...go off any 'diet' and you'll gain weight.

I loved your response!

Also, phenomenal progress! You are looking great and I'll bet feeling great as well!

You know, at this stage of the game, I would just say to focus more on how you feel and less about that number on a scale or chart. Those numbers are just one more way the medical community tries to stick us all in a square little box even if we're a round peg.

I didn't lose for a couple months and just decided that I was going to be happy at 160. Then over the next 5-6 months, I dropped another 20 pounds by just continuing to do what I'd been doing. I think patience is probably key here.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Nothing to add, bu thanks for the review on PN! I was so close to signing up in January, and still might in July. I appreciate the insight you've shared. You look terrific! Best wishes!
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

No problem. I had a hard time finding objective reviews before joining, and it's a huge expense for me. I think it's a great program for a lot of people, but probably more valuable for folks who don't already have a handle on what works for their body. The focus is largely on writing your own "owners manual" by trying things and considering the outcome. It's a process that I have already done for many years.