Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Purging the pantry etc (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/825035-purging-pantry-etc.html)

cprcheetah 03-08-2014 04:38 PM

Purging the pantry etc

So I have been buying granola bars for lack of a better term, almond, yogurt flavor for snacks. Now that I am low carb, I am 'purging' my pantry for lack of a better term. Hubby is a little frustrated as I spent money on them for snacks and now we are going to give them away. Anyone else have to purge their pantry of things? He isn't as low carb as I am on his diet, but he's diabetic and he pointed out they have a LOT of sugar in them :( My bad! I should know better as I read all the labels to check for gluten (we eat gluten free) but somehow I missed how sugary they are. So I am taking them to work, had 3 almost full sam's club boxes. :down:

dgidaho 03-08-2014 04:59 PM

I know what you mean! I am the only person in our house who eats LC, but there are several food items that nobody else will use. I have a half-dozen cans of Eagle Brand milk, sweetened tea mix...stuff like that. I've decided that I'll use these items to take things to pot lucks at church and work. I'd have to take something anyway, so it'll be a good way to use up something that others will enjoy and that I can't have. Perhaps you could use your food in the same way. Even snack bars can be taken to a pot luck in a cute linen-lined basket. Everybody will think you were awesomely creative! :)

Dottie 03-08-2014 06:36 PM

The local food bank is always happy to accept donations :)

cprcheetah 03-08-2014 06:49 PM

:goodpost: I didn't even think about donating to the food pantry. What a great idea, I'm sure they would love it, even have a bag of gluten free pretzels that hasn't been opened, I'm sure they would love that.

dgidaho 03-08-2014 07:03 PM

I almost suggested that, but our local food bank is incredibly particular about what you donate. It's easier to just give them money! :dunno:

cprcheetah 03-08-2014 07:34 PM

I am going to call them to see if they will accept them, they aren't in boxes, so I dunno since they are technically opened. The individual bars aren't but the boxes are.

Aomiel 03-11-2014 06:58 AM

Yep...we purged our pantry as well. Gave away what we could to other family and friends and tossed the rest. I know it hurts to think of throwing money away, but at the same time, if you keep it and it causes you to call your name and go back to your old way of eating, you're likely to spend more than that in medical bills.

cprcheetah 03-11-2014 10:37 AM

Food Pantry won't take them because they are opened from the box :( So I took a bunch to work and threw out the rest, my family doesn't need the extra sugar....my mom is diabetic too.

leeloo 03-11-2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cprcheetah (Post 16832627)
Food Pantry won't take them because they are opened from the box :( So I took a bunch to work and threw out the rest, my family doesn't need the extra sugar....my mom is diabetic too.

Good for you! It's hard to "waste" food, but if it isn't good for you, get rid of it!

Iwantlessofme 03-12-2014 12:12 PM

I just did this myself. Anything opened went to my husband's job break room, those guys will eat anything free. And anything unopened went to the church down the street for donation.

Mindy

Larissima 03-14-2014 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aomiel (Post 16832313)
Yep...we purged our pantry as well. Gave away what we could to other family and friends and tossed the rest. I know it hurts to think of throwing money away, but at the same time, if you keep it and it causes you to call your name and go back to your old way of eating, you're likely to spend more than that in medical bills.

:goodpost:
OK, buying them was a mistake, but eating them just to get the monetary value would compound that mistake. Well done on tossing them! We deserve the best nourishment for our body, mind and soul! :)

cprcheetah 03-14-2014 06:41 PM

So I ended up taking the left over trail mix and a bag of bars to the girls at work and threw away another bag of bars. I feel so relieved not to have them in the house tempting us. In 2010 we had to do a major pantry purge as we had to go gluten free, it sucked cause we had been stocking up on quick meal ideas for a few months so had a lot of foods with wheat in them. I bet we easily gave my brother in law about $600 in food, then had to restock with gluten free (not very cheaply either) foods.