Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Tell me it's not all about the ketostix. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/825017-tell-me-its-not-all-about-ketostix.html)

CSH 03-08-2014 10:00 AM

Tell me it's not all about the ketostix.

I know these things are not the end all be all, but apparently I'm addicted to peeing on a stick. :p

Anyway, I can barely get past moderate, and usually it says trace amounts, yet I'm losing! It's only been a bit over a week so it's probably mostly water, but why would it be so low? I'm well hydrated? My body is just an awesomely efficient machine (yeah right!)?

theredhead 03-08-2014 10:03 AM

Ketosis is like pregnancy. Either you are or you're not. It doesn't matter how dark or light the sticks are. I never even registered anything on ketostix, but lost quite a bit of weight low carbing. It really isn't all about the stix. Good luck!

clackley 03-08-2014 10:19 AM

The urine sticks only measure one kind of ketone (there are 3). Generally people spill a lot of these in the adaption stage of ketosis and as their bodies become more efficient, they produce more of the beta-hydroxibutirate type which is used and not spilled and is the desired result. Urine strips can only tell you that you have been in ketosis sometime in the recent past but they cannot tell that you are at the given moment and they also can't tell you that you are not in ketosis.

DiamondDeb 03-08-2014 10:40 AM

I've never used one and I've managed to lose lots of fat anyway. My goal is fat loss not to turn a certain color on a ketostick.

kay9 03-08-2014 10:54 AM

Never seen or used one.

MargD 03-08-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kay9 (Post 16829061)
Never seen or used one.

Same

Aimee 03-08-2014 11:03 AM

I'm hardly ever in ketosis.. (measurably)... sometimes after a big meal with no carbs and high fat I test myself and it's always dark pink... but for the most part I don't even show. I find if I am well hydrated I will almost always show negative. I wouldn't ever base my success on the stick. I'm averaging a 3 lb a week loss so I guess it's working ...

snowmop 03-08-2014 11:44 AM

It's not about the ketostix. Seriously, they are VERY fallible!

Aomiel 03-08-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondDeb (Post 16829047)
I've never used one and I've managed to lose lots of fat anyway. My goal is fat loss not to turn a certain color on a ketostick.

:goodpost:

cprcheetah 03-08-2014 02:20 PM

Never used a Ketostix and still have lost weight in the past and am now.

JanetA 03-09-2014 11:27 AM

Don't forget that Ketostix lose potency very quickly. Yours may be near the expiration date, or they may have been exposed to humidity. Who knows? They are absolutely not necessary, but is kind of fun to see one more sign (pink) that you're doing something right, right?