Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
Wheat---anybody ever have a reaction like this?

At the work cafeteria today, there was a nacho bar. I have salad bar every day and wanted to shake things up. So I loaded a plate with lettuce, then added taco meat, tomatoes, onions, sour cream, salsa, and a little cheese sauce. Looked awesome! I noticed the cheese sauce didn't seem very cheesy, so I got rid of all I could, leaving about 2-3 tablespoons. About 30 minutes after eating, my stomach and head began to hurt, pressure built up in my ears, and I just basically felt yucky and tired. On my afternoon break, I took a walk back down to inquire whether they had added flour to the cheese sauce--indeed, they had.

I've had reactions like this before after consuming wheat products. I have even run fever a few times. At first I thought it was just having too many carbs while in ketosis, but I can stray with tortilla chips or french fries and have no problems like that. I am not celiac (I know for sure).

I still feel yucky. It will probably take a couple of days to completely recover. It dawned on me that this is how I used to feel all the time.

Has anybody else had this type of reaction to wheat?
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chipmunkis
Stats: 180/ 135/ February 2014 restart: 161/151.8/ 135
WOE: ATKINS!
Start Date: restarting Feb. 3, 2014
Wheat makes me feel like CRAP. Tired, bloated, and just generally awful. It makes me wonder why I was eating it before... after having been on Atkins for years, WHY would I go back to eating something that makes me feel gross???
chipmunkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I, too, have issues with wheat. You are not alone.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/204.6/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
Grains cause chronic inflammation and my hubby is super gluten/wheat sensitive if he even eats something that has been cooked on the same skillet as his prior with wheat on it he gets flu like symptoms fast. He too doesn't have Celiacs but is Gluten Intolerant and has Chronic Inflammation.
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KampyKool
Stats: 2007: 216/144......... 2014: 219/204/145
WOE: Atkins
Yes! And just going through it.

Bought some lower cost spiced ground pork to go with eggs in the AM. Wheat/flour was not in the list of ingredients but low and behold, there was some in there, it was the only ingredient listed in Spanish, which I didn't recognize. The outside of my arms are itching and the 'tiredies' hit me hard.

Apparently when you've removed yourself from this type ingredient you become even more sensitive to it and the reactions more pronounced (like an allergy). But having a reaction to one small exposure last for days....You might want to have this checked out, it sounds like it is going beyond an allergic type reaction.

I do hope you feel better. I'm drinking water like crazy and hoping it will flush it out more quickly. This might help you too. Take care!
KampyKool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Quote:
It dawned on me that this is how I used to feel all the time.
Same! It's amazing how far we've come. I remember I was congested for decades because I was sure I was allergic to dust...or to weeds....or to cats... all that time, it was wheat! For decades!
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Yes. I had some sweet potato fries at a restaurant, and the next day I felt horrible. Achey, tired, grumpy. I felt like I had a high fever. Later I learned that commercial sweet potato
Fries are dredged in flour.

And yes, I used to feel this way all the time on SAD. I don't know how I functioned. Sure haven't missed that.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
wheat doesn't do things to me like that mostly.

what gets me is the food out there in the world.

cause I ate some of that crab salad they had on a buffet bar. (yea fake I know but I like it) and thinking it couldn't be a higher carb item.

looked it up on the internet for the chain and SAW it had wheat in it and was 9 carbs per 1/2 cup. WHAT THE? wheat and a bunch of other yucky things.

needless to say that is off my plate

but I have been lucky in eating things and not having reactions.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
Thanks for the responses! I have been really sad about this reaction to wheat because I was hoping that, once at goal, I might be able to have an occasional "treat" while dining out--you know, like a Texas Roadhouse roll...or at least half a roll.....

As KampyKool said, the absence of these foods from our diet probably heightens our sensitivity when reintroduced. But as I said, the reintroduction also takes me back to how I used to feel. A year ago, my thought processes were quite different than they are now. I couldn't see much of a bright future ahead for myself because everything I did just took too much effort. I found myself just plodding along and going through the motions, wishing I felt good. It had been so many years since I had felt energy and true enthusiasm for actively living a full life that I thought it would never come back. I started on LC in a "not-well-thought-out" attempt to fight for a better life through blood glucose regulation. But LC typically requires giving up wheat products. I think this whole change took care of the double-whammy I'd been experiencing--caused from blood sugar problems and wheat.

Trigger--you are indeed very lucky. My reactions to off-plan eating tend to be swift, and visible even to those around me. It's quite annoying when you've done your best to eat properly only to find that a "surprise" ingredient has been lurking in seemingly harmless food.

I like to study things that are thrown onto my radar. The science behind wheat problems is compelling. I find anecdotal comments and experiences to be equally interesting as well, so please continue sharing!
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote