Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Anyone have experience with medical IV? How bad will it set me back? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/824986-anyone-have-experience-medical-iv-how-bad-will-set-me-back.html)

Reddress 03-07-2014 03:57 PM

Anyone have experience with medical IV? How bad will it set me back?

I just started LC this week, and I know I have a long way to go. I am pleased with my progress so far and really don't want to lose momentum. I am concerned though that I will be having a surgery next week. I have to fast before hand, but then I will be hooked up to IV fluids. I'm not sure if these contain glucose?? If so, would it be enough to lose all my progress and have to restart induction and go through the withdrawl and cravings and everything again?

Casey 03-07-2014 04:31 PM

I've had surgery since going low carb and my approach was to not worry about the IV and make the best choices you can in the hospital but your body needs to heal. Get back on low carb as soon as you have control over your meals again. My doctor said he'd never seen someone heal so fast. I think the clean low carb eating is good for healing and you'll feel better so much faster. Don't use the surgery as a reason to eat a bunch of carbs to "feel better" -- low carb will make you feel better than the "carb coma."

DiamondDeb 03-07-2014 05:51 PM

Talk to the doctor prior to surgery & let him/her know you do not want the glucose. There are alternatives. And double check when you are checked in to make sure they do not forget.

Good luck with your surgery!

Reddress 03-07-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondDeb (Post 16828406)
Talk to the doctor prior to surgery & let him/her know you do not want the glucose. There are alternatives. And double check when you are checked in to make sure they do not forget.

Good luck with your surgery!

I never even thought of that. I just assumed that they wouldn't change their procedure for something that I think they may see as silly (a week old diet, I mean, just start after, kind of thing. I don't think it is silly. but they might.)

DiamondDeb 03-07-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reddress (Post 16828428)
I never even thought of that. I just assumed that they wouldn't change their procedure for something that I think they may see as silly (a week old diet, I mean, just start after, kind of thing. I don't think it is silly. but they might.)

I don't think I'd word it that way. It is your body. You should not have to have it shot up with sugar.

When I had surgery it was my referring doctor who told me to request something other than glucose. I just said that my doctor wanted me to have something else. I really did not have to give a reason other than that.

pulchritudinous_j 03-07-2014 07:22 PM

Not sure what kind of surgery you're having, but most patietns I've worked with get Normal Saline instead of D5W (which contains dextrose) pre and post op (can't vouch for intra op)
I agree that chatting with your surgeon is in your best interest. Hope your surgery and recovery go well!

Casey 03-08-2014 06:22 AM

I wish I'd known that there were alternatives when I had surgery! Thanks so much for all the input.