Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Izzybeff
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3-11-04
What to eat during a kitchen remodel?

We are starting our kitchen remodel in two weeks. I will have a refrigerator, a microwave and hot water from a Keurig. That's it. No oven, no cook top for approximately two months. I'd like to stay low carb, preferably induction levels. Any ideas? I don't want to eat out every meal, although I know we will often.
Izzybeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Cook proteins ahead and freeze them. That will help a lot if you can just thaw and microwave (crockpot?) foods
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Izzybeff
Start Date: 3-11-04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Cook proteins ahead and freeze them. That will help a lot if you can just thaw and microwave (crockpot?) foods
I was trying to stay away from the crockpot as I won't have anywhere to do dishes besides the tub which is on another level.
Izzybeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Purple Crayon
Start Date: August 2003
Outdoor grilled steaks, chops, chicken, fish, shrimp and nuke some veggies to go with.

If you have any favorite casseroles, go ahead and make them now and freeze them for nuking later.

Do you have an electric skillet? [Do they still make them?]
They also make electric indoor grills.

My sister and BIL bought an old house and remodeled the kitchen themselves. They learned to cook everything with a microwave, electric skillet, toaster oven, crock pot and popcorn popper. When she wanted to bake, she went to Mom's house.
Purple Crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheeky1178
Stats: 324.8/288/180-ish?
WOE: 50gms or less
Start Date: 1/17/14
I don't do induction so I'm not sure if what I'm suggesting will be low enough, but I hope it's helpful...

Making and freezing your meats/casseroles in advance will be a huge help but I'm guessing you won't be able to fit 2 months worth of that in your fridge.

An electric skillet or a toaster oven would be super handy, they can be gotten fairly cheaply at Walmart.

Grocery store rotisserie chickens would be very helpful too. It's kind of a compromise between eating out and home cooking. You can eat them as is or break them down to chopped meat for different things....I use that and low carb tortillas to make a wide variety of sandwiches and quesadillas.

For the crockpot, I think they sell liners so you won't have to clean the crock? Maybe see if you can find something like that.

In the freezer section of my store Tyson sells pre-cut chunks of grilled chicken...that can be microwaved and put on top of salads or what not.

I do love the Atkins shakes with coffee in them.

I think that's about it for my ideas...Best of Luck!

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do something I can do. -Helen Keller"

cheeky1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Been there done that with the kitchen remodel. I wasn't doing lc at the time, but I can tell ya that I never wanted to see a microwave dinner again. Which is actually an option for you stock up on Atkins frozen meals.

And if you have kids, animals and a husband.....you will be doing more dishes than you think.

Dottie's idea was excellent, you have 2 weeks to cook meats and meals to freeze. Tuna salad is always easy and induction friendly. Lunch meat and cheeses. Canned chicken can be used for salads or nuked for easy meals.

I don't know how many you will be cooking for, but the best thing to help get you through it is a sense of humor. Years ago a friend of mine was going through a kitchen remodel. She had two teenage sons at the time, when they would ask her what's for dinner.....she would say "the same as last night....5 bucks".

Good luck. You will get used to your makeshift temp kitchen in no time.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
Several good ideas here--but wanted to reinforce Dawn's suggestion about crock pot liners. We used to use them in the concession stand at school. It made clean-up sooooo much easier. If you can't find the liners, you can use roasting bags.

Congrats on your new (to-be) kitchen!
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I went through a 7 week kitchen remodel several years ago while I was still low carbing. I cooked mostly in a microwave on a card table in my bedroom, and washed dishes in the upstairs bathtub, lol! I just want to say it's not that bad. You'll get pretty clever, I'm sure. You've gotten a lot of good suggestions here, so I can't really add anything. Good luck!
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Not a remodel, but a way of life for me.

I live in an old ranch house that my parents redid in 1999 to be a guest house, was never intended to be lived in full time until mom got sick and I moved home to the ranch to care for her. The electrical service at this house doesn't support a stove being inside. So they just never put one in. I bought a utility shed and put it beside the house and put a stove, large freezer, extra refrigerator and of course all my storage things in it. As the house has one tiny closet in the bathroom and that's it. So I do have a stove... Just not a convenient one.

Kitchen only has about 4 total feet counter space and a sink. Think really small lol. I use my stove outside a lot. But for day to day stuff, it's grilling on the gas grill, electric skillet, crockpot, single burner, microwave, toaster oven etc. it can be done lol. My electric skillet is my fav and my go to on just about everything.
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I would purchase a camp style cook stove. They are great! We bought a really nice one for camping and we also use it when we are canning in the summer so as not to get the house hot.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ElizabethLC
Stats: 218.5/147/150s
Start Date: July 2008
I went thru a kitchen remodel on LC and my favorite meal was egg salad or chicken salad straight out of the container. Plus brown bag lunch type things like cheese cubes, nuts, and cut up veggies.

Also I moved my coffee maker into the office and got some "to-go" cups. That was really helpful.
ElizabethLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
An induction burner might be a good purchase so you can fry, sauté, or boil. Or, back in the Pleistocene era when I was a college student I cooked EVERYTHING in an electric skillet and washed dishes in the (scrupulously cleaned!) bathroom sink.

Now I have an Instant Pot. An electric pressure cooker that also sautes, steams, makes rice, and slow cooks. It has an easy to clean removable stainless steel liner. I would totally use that if my kitchen was out of commission.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote