LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/248/195
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 2014
Favorite specialty low carb products?

Hi everyone. I was wondering what low carb products you love or think should be avoided. I have heard some suggestions scattered around on various threads, but I am curious...I have been low carbing for a few weeks and it is going very well...I realize that I really need to be low carb for life, so I am trying to find ways to make the diet low carb, yet delicious, varied, and easy so I can be happy doing it...well, forever! I just ordered some things that seem to pop up a lot in recipes (e.g., almond flour, ground flax seed, etc.). I was wondering what people suggest...or would warn away from. I am in Quebec, Canada and couldn't even find pork rinds so thank goodness for online ordering!
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheeky1178
Stats: 324.8/288/180-ish?
WOE: 50gms or less
Start Date: 1/17/14
Mission low carb tortillas...I know not everyone is thrilled with the ingredients list but it's 6g net carbs and they're a great substitute for bread. I use them for sandwiches, quesadillas, breakfast wraps and pizzas. I can get them at my local grocery store and they're a lot cheaper then most LC Breads. I'm going to be trying some LC breads from Netrition but that's not something I can afford to do regularly.

Atkins Mocha Latte and Cafe Caramel shakes, the one's made with coffee. The shakes that don't have coffee in them are too thick for me and some mornings I just need something light, filling and portable. Again not everyone likes the ingredients.

Those two and Detour protein bars are my junk, processed, convenience foods. I need them too much to care what's in them beyond the net carbs. Otherwise I try to keep it natural...meat, cheese, vegetables.

I've dabbled in almond flour, coconut flour and lupin flour....I haven't found any recipe I couldn't live without yet. Linda Sue's recipe site is awesome and I just discovered All Day I Dream about Food which has the most amazing looking recipes...hoping to try some soon now that I have most of the ingredients she uses often.

I wouldn't try any of the dessert recipes for a while until your tastes adjust. (except maybe Jell-O with heavy cream) After doing low carb for a couple months sugar free desserts that tasted bland before became sweeter and sugary things are now overly sweet.

Hope that's helpful

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do something I can do. -Helen Keller"

cheeky1178 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Mama Lupe tortillas make fantastic quesadillas!
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:54 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
I like the low carb tortillas too - but they have a tendency to start carb cravings for me - I'll eat the whole package. I try to stay away from processed "specialty" low carb items and stick to whole/real food that won't get my brain wanting bread and carbs.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Guy's Low carb BBQ sauce, they sell it on netrition so you won't have any problem getting it. I LOVE the "spicy." BBQ ribs, or BBQ anything, quit being low carb fast with most BBQ sauces, many of which are loaded w/sugar. Guy's is 1 carb per TBLS. It doesn't caramelize as well on the ribs as the sauces w/sugar, but it does cook into them, and then I dip for a bit more. Great flavor. I've tried a couple of them and this is by far the best.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone! Great suggestions! I know it can be dangerous to have too many processed low carb treats, but I thought it would also be good to occasionally be able to have these things...or if I am really feeling like I might break, to have a low carb stumble off the wagon instead of a 300 grams of carb in one day thunk off the wagon. I am really curious about shiritaki noodles...they sound like they aren't too dangerous in terms of carbs and now that I have read about them I think I used to eat them when I lived in Japan...
Old 03-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #7
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Kahlua Davincis is my absolute, absolute favorite. I use it in cheesecakes and as a syrup on my breakfast sausage. A little goes a long way. It's wonderful.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/211/200
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
SF Davinci Vanilla Syrup would be up there as a fav'.
kay9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ElizabethLC
Stats: 218.5/147/150s
Start Date: July 2008
Coconut butter (the product that is ground-up coconut with the fiber included)
Coconut oil
Nut flours
Chia seeds (in yogurt)
ElizabethLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shapeup1
WOE: Lots of protein
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willgirl View Post
Hi everyone. I was wondering what low carb products you love or think should be avoided. I have heard some suggestions scattered around on various threads, but I am curious...I have been low carbing for a few weeks and it is going very well...I realize that I really need to be low carb for life, so I am trying to find ways to make the diet low carb, yet delicious, varied, and easy so I can be happy doing it...well, forever! I just ordered some things that seem to pop up a lot in recipes (e.g., almond flour, ground flax seed, etc.). I was wondering what people suggest...or would warn away from. I am in Quebec, Canada and couldn't even find pork rinds so thank goodness for online ordering!
You'll find pork rinds in Asian, Chinese , Philippino stores.
shapeup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapeup1 View Post
You'll find pork rinds in Asian, Chinese , Philippino stores.
Huh...I am in Asian stores fairly often but have never actually looked for or asked for pork rinds...thanks for the tip!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:43 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Drago
Stats: 336/272/235
Start Date: Jan 2014
Since I began this WOE, the specialty items I now consume that I didn't before are as follows:

Coconut oil
Coconut butter
Stevia
Ground flaxseeds
Low carb ketchup (Trader Joe's)
Guy's BBQ Sauce (Netrition)
Almond butter
Almondmilk

... and the only real Frankenfood would be Carbquik.
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheBigKahuna
Stats: 290/227/220
WOE: reduced carb
Been eating the Mission low carb tortillas lately. I like making tacos/burritos with them. but have also used them with sandwich meat and cheese as a wrap style sandwich.

Haven't tried them as a pizza crust yet, but that's coming soon.
TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eagle eye
WOE: Low Carb
Mission tortillas...... I love them
eagle eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: aryn12205
WOE: IF/Paleo/Whole Food-Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: January '14
SF Almond Milk
Coconut Oil
Almond Flour (I use it for breading, baking, etc)
SF Chocolate Chips (I grab a tiny handful when I have cravings and it's all I need! Uses
Erythritol and stevia as sweeteners)

Flax Seed Meal

...I also keep 1-2 Atkins frozen meals in the freezer for an emergency. I try my very best to eat only things that I've prepared myself.
aryn12205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:35 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
Pretty much anything by Thinslim Foods (http://www6.netrition.com/cgi/prices.cgi?manu_id=910), Sugar Free Jelly Bellies(http://www6.netrition.com/cgi/prices.cgi?manu_id=415) and Miss Meringues (http://www6.netrition.com/cgi/prices.cgi?manu_id=475) (in moderation!!), Torani Syrups, and Ghiradelli 100% Dark Chocolate (http://www6.netrition.com/cgi/prices.cgi?manu_id=620) (though I wouldn't suggest starting out that dark!).
I also recently purchased Lupin flour, but I've not used it to date.
Good luck!

Last edited by ncgirl; 03-12-2014 at 10:37 PM..
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Almond meal, flax meal, EZ Sweet, DaVinci's vanilla syrup. Although I use all of them sparingly and usually just stick to straight proteins, fats and vegies.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote