Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dunginhawk
Transition from LC to????

Good morning. I haven't been a long time poster, but recently im amping it up a bit on the GLCBC threads etc.

So I am nearing my goal weight of 185 (195 now, 240lb jan 2) and wondering if most of you guys/gals who have reached your goals continue with the LC or transition to something else?

A few issues/concerns.

1. I travel, 150 days a year. I eat a lot of Ruths Chris, Mortons, etc with clients where appetizers, drinks, desserts are abound (because its not on my dime haha) Its very hard for me to live a LC lifestyle for life. I don't eat veggies, so on the road its either eat the same stuff all the time, or transition to portion controlled calorie watching.

2. Low carb restrictions. Ill be honest, bread is my Buddha, If there was a bread and butter diet, id have zero issues praying at that alter every day. But there isn't. I miss carbs. I miss cereal, I miss potatoes, I miss pizza. I miss my foods. Now let me say because I was 250 lbs and MISERABLE. I found the willpower to resist them. I have not cheated one time in over 2 months (never more than 30carbs a day, most days 15). I am not overly tempted to cheat, but that doesn't mean I don't WANT to cheat haha. GLCBC has helped me continue the last few weeks, and could ultimately help a full LC lifestyle, but it is still a pretty restrictive diet.

3. COST - Lets not kid ourselves. GLCBC is pretty good stuff, as are some other LC foods, but they know we need it, and they don't take it easy on our wallets. I ordered 2 loaves of cinnamon bread and with shipping it was 30 bucks. That's just me being impatient. BUt still, even with netrition and cheaper shipping options, the stuff is PRICEY. As is almond flour, coconut oil, carbquik, you name it. Now I can afford it, but do I want to?

4. Other options? Last fall while dropping from my high of 250, to 217, I followed low carb living and dropped quickly. I stalled, and switched to low calorie. Successfully gained ZERO weight in 2-3 weeks on low calorie. So I know the transition is possible. Of course like many others the holidays hit and that turned in to a frenzy and back to 240.
I ask this question. for most of you, it seems LC is your new lifestyle and kudos to you, that's amazing. For those others who are using it as a means to an end, what is your plan after? Maintenance plan? Low calorie? a hybrid approach? Im just curious to see what folks are going to do.
I wish there was an option for me to eat LC while at home, and be sensible on the road (and eat carbs) but I know that ketosis doesn't really allow that. You are on or you are off. If I eat carbs tues-thurs, then not the rest of the week, it wont necessarily be conducive to ketosis.

Just kind of checking the pulse here. Id like an honest friendly discussion, not one laced with "LC4LIFE or get out". Im a realist.
thank you

Last edited by dunginhawk; 03-07-2014 at 11:01 AM..
dunginhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
How you maintain your weight loss will depend on your personal physiology.

Dr. Atkins recommended 'testing' your carb sensitivity [by adding carbs in 5g increments], and I personally happen to be very sensitive to carbs. If I go above 25g, my appetite is insatiable, and I gain weight rapidly. Thus, I continue to eat low carb--but happily, as this WOE seems to agree with my body.

However, if you only did low carb in order to lose weight, it's possible that you can maintain your weight with simply portion control, eating whatever you choose.

Only you can determine what works best.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/137.4/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
Perhaps Lowcarb isn't the best eating plan for you...

Lots of different eating styles out there....check out some other plans that may help you stay committed..

I honestly know of no plan that is successful that doesn't involve some "restriction"...

None of us here can eat what we want ...when we want....how we want ... without that meaning that we cant weigh what we want..

Another plan may work with your food preferences better...

Last edited by LowCarbedD; 03-07-2014 at 12:22 PM..
LowCarbedD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I certainly don't expect to eat what I want, when I want, how I want. I am just searching for the long term plan I can stick to. I love LC for its quick results, and im never hungry and happy while on it. Just not sure I can do it long term.
thank you for the posts thus far.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Long term is the goal......apparently from what Ive read.....regaining is really quick for those who switch eating styles at goal.....read thru some of the posts from people who have lost then regained...Ive learned the most from them and the long term maintainers..
I am a carb addict...recovering but still an addict.....I absolutely cannot return to high carb eating...bread..pasta...sweets...chips..etc...caus e me to have blood glucose issues...bloating...and weight gain...not everyone is like that....MY DDIL does WW...she loves...bread..pasta...etc. ( she is a pastry chef)..AND Italian!!!!! It works for her....she is within 15 lbs of goal.......its easy for her!

The key is finding a way you can eat for LIFE....I don't miss bread..pasta...sugar laden desserts...there was a time I couldn't have imagined saying that....I sometimes get stupid..then I realize that my memories of the food are way grander than the reality....
I conveniently forget the high then the crash..then the stomach bloat..then the gastro intestinal distress...then the brainfog.....didn't realize it until I got carb-clean for a month or two.....

you've gained and lost those lbs very quickly several times.....please be careful..that cant be good for your body.....it isn't about losing quickly..its really about maintaining long term

very best to you in your journey!
goal made 04.04.14
Old 03-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
How old are you? Are you a man? (lol, sorry to be so blunt but that's my guess from your stats)

You might be able to maintain by calorie counting, if you're into it. If you don't mind doing the work, and eating carbs doesn't make you hungrier, etc.

But if you don't eat vegetables at all, are you planning to eat less meat and fat (a lot less) so that you can eat the starchy carbs? Because I don't see how you can add starchy carbs without cutting something else.

I guess I'd say if pizza and bread is really important to you (preach), I'd plan for it. Like, eat LC 6 days a week and have carbs 1 day.

It's not all or nothing for everyone, especially if it's a way of life and not a diet. If the plan is to be strict-lose weight-be lax-gain weight-be strict again, you're going to fail and likely end up fatter than before every time you repeat the cycle. Take it from a serial yo-yo dieter.

Do you exercise? Exercise doesn't help much with weight loss, but it's definitely correlated with weight maintenance.

leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
I'm not near goal yet and since I'm losing slowly (menopause/hypothyroidism) it looks like it could be awhile. My plan however, is to try using Atkins method of trying more carbs a little at a time, and see how it goes.

I believe in the saying......you gotta leave with the gal that brung ya.
In other words, yes I'm one of those that "plans" to do low carb for life. I'm just hoping I'll get to enjoy a glass or two of wine occasionally.

Its not unusual for men to lose more and faster than women (I'm totally jealous btw), but be careful taking it for granted. You're playing with your blood sugar and one day you might find yourself on the slow losing end of the stick.

And just one more thing....man oh man, I would kill to have to do low carb at Ruth Chris and Mortons. Seriously dude, those are like the Low Carb Meccas.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well and congrats for your weight loss and new baby.
grneyedldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
There are a number of options, but you have to commit yourself to watching that scale like a hawk and promise yourself you won't be in denial about your weight gain if your maintenance plan fails and you start to gain again. You may be setting yourself up by thinking you're going to be able to eat bread and carby desserts on a regular basis and still maintain your weight loss. As one who has been there and done that, I can tell you it's MUCH harder the second time around. Much better to get serious about maintenance so that there is no need for a second time.

One of the reasons so many of us refuse to call LC a "diet" but instead call it a "way of eating" or a "way of life" is that we KNOW that eating too many carbs again will get us right back to square one, PLUS some additional poundage. I used to think about "when I get to my goal weight I can have cake every week or so." But I know, deep down, that's not true. I plan to remain LC for life. I don't even particularly care anymore if I ever reach a goal weight, since it's not the end for me. This is my life now, and I love it and the health benefits I have.

But some things to explore:
1. Already suggested is finding your carb limit level--you can eat safely within that.
2. Carb cycling--you can eat higher carb once a week if you stay low carb most of the time.
3. A related WOE that, while higher in carbs, is not fully stepping back into SAD--e.g. The Perfect Health Diet (Jaminet) or the South Beach Diet or the Zone Diet.

I listened to the Mark's Daily Apple podcast yesterday and the guest was Steve Levine--a man who lost weight on a low carb diet, and who has successfully kept it off for many years. He mostly stays on a low carb diet regimen with intermittent fasting, but does allow himself a carb indulgence late in the day (usually organic popcorn with lots of butter). Occasionally (not a regular occurrence) he enjoys a high carb meal, but he makes up for any weight gain by being more strictly low carb for a week or so, foregoing his carby treat at night. He's a lawyer who undoubtedly has his share of business entertaining, but he has successfully maintained a great weight and (more importantly) his health for many years. THAT's how I plan to do it, if I ever get there!
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
You have tons of options.

There are many eating plans out there where you can have pizza, bread, etc. It all comes with calorie restriction.

Go to the other forum where all the plans are listed. You can piece together plans for yourself. Like 5:2 eat lower/mod carb and restrict a bit, and 2 days you give yourself more freedom. You could possibly maintain like that.

Me, I am lc for life. Carbs get me bad. I carb out and I want more and more and more.

also you said the holidays shot you back up to 240. Do you know why? Was it you got a taste and COULD NOT stop? if it was then a more lc life will have to be your way.

You have to determine the control carbs have on you. Also when you add in the bread/pasta/sweets into the calorie count, your amt of food goes down fast

No matter what you choose, it will have to be for life. You can't play too much because at some point, you will gain back. Alot of us know that misery.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
We are all different. I do plan on staying low carb for life, but I am not not nearly as strict as most people are about it.

I personally don't miss bread at all really. I am totally happy eating bunless burgers, the insides of my tacos, and with just eating the toppings off of a pizza. However, I do miss some breaded, fried foods desserts and I will indulge in them every few weeks or so. Last time was Cheesecake Factory a couple of weeks ago. I had egg rolls and a huge cheesecake. The occasional splurge doesn't affect my weight any and I don't have any problems getting back on low carb after a treat. This works for me, but doesn't work for everybody.

You might be okay eating low carb at home and more moderate carbs when traveling. It just depends on what works for you.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Yes I am a man lol. Im 36, 5'10, pretty stocky build. Lucky to (after being 250) have a really good metabolism that allows for quick weight loss. My wife hates me haha.

I tried not to give the impression in my first post that I wanted to go batcrap crazy and eat a pantries worth of toaster strudels. I just want to find something that works for me long term.

Its nice to hear folks can successfully cheat once a week and maintain the weight, or still lose. Everything ive read/heard in the past says once you cheat, ketosis is gone and it takes time to get back in the groove, but if you cheat a week later, you may never get there.

In the past ive been successful counting calories, however before my marriage ive never allowed myself to go above about 198lbs. I was single of course, and well, being single gives you will power you don't have when married, to put it lightly. Right or wrong (and unfair to my bride) it sometimes is the case. So when counting calories I could move from 195 to 185 in and out and just count calories for a little while, then eat what I want, etc.

I know the days of just going nuts and eating an entire box of cereal (man the euphoria) are gone.

As far as exercise, t25 is in my iTunes and ready to roll Monday (start of the plan). Newborn stopped my start last week. So I will have that to augment some of my intake.

For those that successfully have a cheat meal or a cheat day on low carb (maint), do you go back to that AWESOME feeling of not being hungry? or even when you back LC for a day or two do you still crave? I LOVE not feeling hungry. I just went upstairs and had a fat bomb and 2 pieces of buttered bread with chocolate PB2 because I needed some calories, not because I wanted it.

EDIT: BTW ive never felt better than I do now. im alert, hyper again, sleep amazingly well (my apnea is GONE) so im not wanting to lose that either

I may consider doing 2000 calories or less and working out 5 days a week and allowing myself freedom on the weekends. Knowing me, I think that would maintain my weight (once I reach it).

About the yoyo. I haven't really yoyod,
5 years ago, 185, steadily got to 250 6 months ago, went LC 1 time, dropped, peaked again over the holidays and am now gung ho.

Thank you so much for your posts guys and gals. I really am not going back, I have 2 kids under 3 one of which needs me to walk her down the aisle one day, both of which need me to chase them around the yard. There is no going back. EVER

Last edited by dunginhawk; 03-07-2014 at 03:04 PM..
Old 03-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheeky1178
Stats: 324.8/288/180-ish?
WOE: 50gms or less
Start Date: 1/17/14
I think this is definitely something you're going to have to experiment with. I can eat 60g of carb a day and lose 2lbs a week (so far) but a lot of people's limit is much lower.
I've also had off days were I ate twice that, I just ate a lot fewer the next few days and the impact on my weight is temporary.

There are a lot of carb cycling diets out there lately and I remember Dr. Atkins saying something about averaging your carb intake over a week. If you fall off one day don't panic just adjust the rest of the days in the week to average it out.

Some things you might be able to add back and some may have to be a once a year treat. I know sugar, pasta and fruit are never going to be a regular part of my diet no matter how much I lose, but I have medical issues.

Maybe give other diets like South Beach a try for a month or so and see what happens.

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do something I can do. -Helen Keller"

cheeky1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I have switched it up. Periods of super low carb and periods of moderate cArbs. Low carb with free meal per week. Didnt make any differnce I weight for me as I don't overeat as a lifestyle on any plan. I don't count calories either. I don't eat junk food as a lifestyle either. OverAll , I choose low carb foods. When i did choose to eat bread I chose one slice. Half a banana. A half or less of potato. One mug of mouth numbing hoppy beer! I had Zero problems with cravings or falling off the wagon as I was pretty conscious of everything else I ate that day and pretty good during the week.
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Have you ever tried IF? Men seem to do quite well with 5:2 or even 6:1, wherein you eat "normally" for 5 or 6 days per week and then the other day(s), restrict to very low calories. 600 calories on the "fasting" days is the starting point.

I do JUDDD, which is alternate day fasting, but switch sometimes to low carb for a few weeks, or 5:2, or whatever feels right at the time, now that I'm in maintenance.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
I've been low carb / eating clean since 1999 - I tried it as an experiment and felt SO good that I found it easy to make it a lifestyle. Eating out isn't too difficult if you make good choices. I never feel deprived. I have fallen off the wagon and the carb hangover just isn't worth it. I don't feel good with excessive carbs and I know how well my body functions when I eat clean unprocessed and low carb.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
I use an on line tracker if my weight starts creeping up - anything over 5 pounds and I dial it back in.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the added replies. I am really digesting all of this, and it seems a mix may be in my future. I really do feel pretty good on LC. I mean really good. It seems foolish to give that up for food, but perhaps since ive only been LC for a few months mentally I may not have disassociated food with pleasure yet.

I just had a pizza bagel (GLCBC bagel with pizza sauce, pepp and cheese) AMAZING.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I've been low carb / eating clean since 1999 - I tried it as an experiment and felt SO good that I found it easy to make it a lifestyle. Eating out isn't too difficult if you make good choices. I never feel deprived. I have fallen off the wagon and the carb hangover just isn't worth it. I don't feel good with excessive carbs and I know how well my body functions when I eat clean unprocessed and low carb.

Congrats!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 238/238/160
Start Date: 7/23/13, Restart 9/17/14
Personally, I'm incredibly sensitive to carbs. I decided to give weight watchers a try a month or so ago, and blew up ten pounds in two days (eating under my point value, btw). I've also found that calorie counting is restrictive in whole foods. After 6+months LC'ing, I can't imagine not having butter, mayo, and bacon without guilt.
However, what works for ME won't necessarily work for YOU. Experiment, research, and follow a WOE that makes you happy and isn't a beast to work around your lifestyle.
Good luck!
pulchritudinous_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Calories are irrelevant.

Your low-calorie probably works because your total carbs are still fewer than in the typical diet.

Perhaps your body handles higher carb amount than most of us but I still urge you to try to control your insulin as much as you can even if it's not very low-carb. Perhaps you should look into low-GI diet without counting carbs? I'd think that's a better maintenance way than counting calories, which I think generally is a bad and unhealthy way.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulchritudinous_j View Post
Personally, I'm incredibly sensitive to carbs. I decided to give weight watchers a try a month or so ago, and blew up ten pounds in two days (eating under my point value, btw). I've also found that calorie counting is restrictive in whole foods. After 6+months LC'ing, I can't imagine not having butter, mayo, and bacon without guilt.
However, what works for ME won't necessarily work for YOU. Experiment, research, and follow a WOE that makes you happy and isn't a beast to work around your lifestyle.
Good luck!
Old 03-08-2014, 04:56 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunginhawk View Post
I tried not to give the impression in my first post that I wanted to go batcrap crazy and eat a pantries worth of toaster strudels.

It seems foolish to give that up for food, but perhaps since ive only been LC for a few months mentally I may not have disassociated food with pleasure yet.
the strudels had me laughing

You might have it something there tho. Longer and longer on plan you do get alot more control than you ever think. You do 'care' less and less about old foods we gave up. You do find ways to eat out in social situations and really control what goes into your mouth.

Longer I am on plan the more I realize there is no going back to certain old foods. It just won't happen and I am not upset/worried/obsessed with thinking about that anymore.

You feel wonderful doing lc. This seems so important to you. No carb bloat. No slug. With 2 little kids your gonna be on your toes feeling great is important.

You will work this out. There will be a bunch of ways to maintain, have a bit of freedom and still feel great.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:09 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
My two cents worth on the subject of staying low-carb even after I lose all the weight I want:

“This WOE is not a diet,
It’s my Salvation, my Key to being
Healthy, happy and thinner!”

Cause I've tried many times over to eat like "other" people and the weight goes back on almost faster than you lose it. What can I say, I'm a slow learner -- finally I understand my intolerance to carbs...
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

I have transitioned to counting calories successfully and maintained after an LC diet (in nov).
Geiri, if you don't mind me asking, why are you so anti calorie counting? I mean lets be honest, LC diets or WOE get a REALLY bad rap with a LOT of dieticians, doctors etc. MOST will say calories in calories out, you run a deficit, you will lose. While I do agree there are exceptions, for example its Not health to eat a quarter pounder with cheese, large fries and a diet coke, but it would EASILY fit under my calorie restrictions (and ive done it and still lost)
As long as its somewhat sensible calories counting, not overeating any specific meal I think most people SHOULD be able to avoid the bloat, the awful crashes etc. Im not claiming to be any different than anyone else but I still feel fantastic on low calorie diets, its just harder to stick with them because your body is now craving sugar again, to some degree.
For me, it will take 10x more willpower to stick to a calorie counting program, than to stick to LC. on LC I eat when I want, however much I want (although im never hungry and end up eating WAY less) its just more restrictive in the food dept.

If you cant figure it out by now, I am extremely conflicted.
Yesterday I ate a bagel for breakfast with strawberry cream cheese (my own blend), a fat bomb and 2 pieces of GLCBC toast in the afternoon with chocolate PB2 spread, and for dinner a whole bagel sliced with sauce, cheese and pepperoni.
The scale this morning. down 2 more lbs. Hard to argue with that. Im starting to lean towards some sort of LC lifestyle while allowing myself to indulge once a week or so.

You have no idea how much I appreciate the dialogue here. Its certainly going to get more reads as more people get closer to their goal weights.
Im now officially 10 lbs from my goal, and a total loss of 65lb. I have to admit, im slightly scared to get there. Thrilled and scared. Anyone who has met their goal, did you feel similarly? You made it, and now to maintain it seems almost as daunting, and the failure of not keeping it off would hurt more than anything.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It is scary as heck.

cause I was at goal with a 70 lb loss. And gained 50 back and now doing lc to lose the 50

I think one MUST think WAY OF LIFE TO EAT LONG TERM. without too much bouncing, experimenting, trying to 'have it all' in some form. Cause in my reality I am seeing THIS time around, YOU CAN NOT have it all.

I was low fat/low cal. and lost 70. I starved at the end. It took about 1000 cals to NOT start to gain. I could not live on it. Simple as that.

So with the lc I see that life is easier. I eat great foods I could not on a restricted calorie diet. I had to balance WHAT foods were more important.

example is cake. skinny midget almost paper thin piece to fit into a calorie restricted diet and still be hungry......or a ribeye with broccoli and be stuffed, happy and satisfied for a long time.

for my maintenance I see my long term as LC ALL the way with a 'smidge' of extra carbs like mashed taters with gravy if wanted wtih a meal. 1/2 baked potatoe with butter.
for me personally it will have to be stay away from sweets. they drag me in and nail me to the wall.

You gotta really think hard on is this a game or is it real and long term. something you have to have conviction in and say NO MATTER WHAT I am sticking with the way I decided to eat for every meal for the rest of my life (with a few small blurps in there on occasion).

are ya the type to regain?
are you the type to crave those carbs big time again?
can you go out with friends and control yourself on food or go piggy wild?
holidays? and there are alot of them.

food is everywhere we all know that.

like we went to a carnival with kiddo. I walked right by it all. pretzels, popcorn, cotton candy, candy apples, chocolate bananas, funnel cakes, snow cones and way more. My simple thought thru the whole time was 'I don't eat that anymore'. I found myself a giant smoked turkey leg. Oh yea baby, I was in heaven. HAHA

I love threads like this. they help me so much. help me think about this maintenance that will be coming and how I have to live my life and NOT go thru this weight loss crappola ever again.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Its really hard to tell if I am the type to gain again or not.

I really want to think that ill look back at how miserable I was, and never want to go back. Think of the kids, all that and not be willing to gain again. I don't know for sure though. Ive never been 250, I've never lost this much weight. I can't tell you how ill react, but that's whats so scary.

I am definitely the type of person who will WANT to eat all those foods again. Whether I do or not, I can't tell you yet.
I have to think ill never go back, but it scares the hell out of me
Old 03-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes I know definitely.

because in as much as we use 'the others' (family, kids, grandkids etc) it just doesn't work. YOU kinda gotta really do it for YOU because if your MIND does not make the change, for others just doesn't cut it

I always said I do this for ME first.
then it helps the family
then I live longer
live a better life for whatever time
AM AT PEACE with my way of eating

I tell ya it all comes into play.

How bad to you want to keep what you worked for?
Is food a deciding factor in your life and how you want to live it?

boy these are hard really. cause so much centers around the junk we love.

company parties
weddings
social anythings
snacking
eating out
stopping for a quick bite

yikes

peace of mind with how you eat has to happen. it has to be 'I am fine with what I eat on a daily basis' cause if it isn't, the battle rages on.

believe me I am working on it also
Old 03-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbie83
Stats: 266/251.6/180
WOE: Low Carb/Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: 2/19/2014
Lots of great suggestions in this thread and thank you OP for asking this question. I've been wondering the same thing. here are my suggestions (sorry if these have been mentioned already - i didnt read every response)

1) Intermittent fasting. On the days you KNOW you'll be traveling/eating out, maybe try for just one meal. Then you can eat pretty much what you want, knowing that you've been in a fasted state for long enough that day that your body will still be in a fat-burning state.

2) carb cycling. (this is what i think i'll end up doing forever for maintenance). Stick to very low carbs Monday-Friday and relax a little on the weekends. Or, for you, stick to very low carbs on your non-traveling days. Lucky for you, when you DO indulge, its with fantastic restaurant food! the thought of that alone should be enough to help you stick to a stricter plan when you're on your own

3) Exercise! I think its a major factor in weight maintenance.

As someone else said, we all know that to maintain weight loss, we pretty much are going to be restricting something forever. You just have to decide what's worth restricting most often.

Play around with the different approaches, and weigh in weekly to see how it affects your weight.

2014 Goals:
April 12: 245
June 12 - my Birthday!! - 225
September 20 - Bridesmaid - 205
Halloween - 195
End of 2014 - 180

Last edited by Barbie83; 03-11-2014 at 02:29 PM..
Barbie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
I would say test your carb tolerance and go from there. You might be surprised by how many carbs you can actually have and maintain. When I first did LC years ago once I got to my goal weight I would eat clean during the week and indulge on the weekends and I maintained even continued to lose very slowly until I got pregnant ;p

Good luck and Congratulations!
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 204/199.2/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunginhawk View Post
I ask this question. for most of you, it seems LC is your new lifestyle and kudos to you, that's amazing. For those others who are using it as a means to an end, what is your plan after? Maintenance plan? Low calorie? a hybrid approach? Im just curious to see what folks are going to do.
I wish there was an option for me to eat LC while at home, and be sensible on the road (and eat carbs) but I know that ketosis doesn't really allow that. You are on or you are off. If I eat carbs tues-thurs, then not the rest of the week, it wont necessarily be conducive to ketosis.
I believe wheat and sugar are as bad for the body as alcohol and cigarettes. No question. I think wheat/sugar/processed carbs are as much a contributor to heart disease and cancer as smoking.

So my goal is always to eliminate those foods "as much as humanly possible." Because lets face it: I am human! I have a thing for those foods as much as you do, but like I don't occasionally smoke a cigarette, I don't casually eat those foods, either.

Mark Sisson of the primal blueprint says, 80/20 is good to shoot for. In other words, try very hard to stick to it most of the time, treat yourself if you can get away with it.

But I do understand that many other people don't believe the things I do. I guess I have done way too much reading: I'm also a hospice nurse! That will make you pay attention.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote