LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kaava
Stats: 202/200/155
WOE: lc
Start Date: 2/16/2014
Oatmeal and Beans...Yes or No???

I'm on week three of low carb living....have only lost about 4 pounds even tho I was in ketosis and going very low carb. Happily my food cravings have gone way down. I'd like to try adding some oatmeal and beans (like black beans and kidney beans) back to my diet. I have a 2 year old and these are staples for us. What do y'all think?
kaava is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Drago
Stats: 336/280/235
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Jan 2014
If you've got more weight to lose, it's probably not a good idea. Too many carbs in those foods. I imagine when you reach your goal weight you can introduce them back, although in smaller amounts. Keep in mind that low carbing means for life if you want to keep the weight off.
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/251/200
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
I love oatmeal but i personally would not touch it until very close or at my goal.
kay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
For me, no. Good thing I'm not especially fond of either one.
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I would guess that you are very carb sensitive judging by the scant info you provided (i.e. very low carb with a lot to lose and a small weight loss). You also say you are in ketosis so that further suggests that sensitivity. As such adding back carbs seems like a bad idea.

I am also one who thinks grains (oatmeal is a grain) and beans (legumes) are not a good choice of food due to inflammation issues and are deleterious to a healthy gut. Both these issues are well covered in any paleo plan of eating literature.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I 'kinda' enjoyed oatmeal but would not eat it now. Not going to let oatmeal back into my LC way of life ever.

beans, never cared for them anyway, so this one wouldn't concern me---but if I did eat beans before, I would be super careful letting them back in and when more at goal weight.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
Not knowing much other than my own experience, I would agree with everyone and say no, not at least until you're closer to your goal weight. Hopefully you're not really craving either one. It's so much easier to say no when you're not dying for something.
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: werkn'it
Stats: 187/133/125
WOE: Atkin'ish
Start Date: 8/13 (this time around)
It depends on what your eating plan is. If you are doing a strict Atkins, no. If you are just trying to keep your carbs under 50, perhaps.

I have to admit that I DID eat steel-cut oatmeal while losing most of what I've lost so far. I'd cook it on the weekends and measure out a strict 1/4 cup for each morning and add in a sprinkle of almonds and dried cranberries. It worked for me I think because it was so filling. But, I am sure my weight loss was much slower because of it. I cut out the OM as soon as I started nearly stalling three months ago.

I gain every time I eat beans!
werkn'it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: 30 day whole food challenge
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Although I haven't tried it, you might consider looking into the South Beach Diet because I think those items are allowed sooner or later. I don't really know how that diet works but I know people who've had success with it.

Ultimately you'll have to find what works best for you, whether it is Atkins or something else. Some people do lose weight just by cutting out sugar and wheat, or even just wheat (even without worrying about being in ketosis or other things such as the carbohydrate count of carrots), especially if they are young and otherwise healthy. However, if you do add oatmeal or any significant quantity of beans right now, you won't really be doing Atkins anymore.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/155.4/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
Although I haven't tried it, you might consider looking into the South Beach Diet because I think those items are allowed sooner or later. I don't really know how that diet works but I know people who've had success with it.

Ultimately you'll have to find what works best for you, whether it is Atkins or something else. Some people do lose weight just by cutting out sugar and wheat, or even just wheat (even without worrying about being in ketosis or other things such as the carbohydrate count of carrots), especially if they are young and otherwise healthy. However, if you do add oatmeal or any significant quantity of beans right now, you won't really be doing Atkins anymore.
P1 of South Beach allows one serving of beans a day, and many people lose a lot of weight on that eating plan.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I advise against it. I personally wouldn't touch either until in maintenance.
MsWoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I LOVE oatmeal and ate it daily until going low carb. Miss it still. I liked to eat rolled oats raw--there's something very filling and satisfying in the bland taste and texture. (weird, I know).

But I'm going on 3 years of no oatmeal. Was it worth it? YES! 70lbs down. I'm sure it would not have happened for me if I was still eating oatmeal.

If you start eating the oatmeal and beans right now, before you're fully "fat adapted" instead of being a sugar burner (pee sticks are an unreliable way to tell if you're in ketosis) you may never get to see what this diet can really do for you. Once you know, THEN you can see for yourself if these foods help or hinder. Give it a few weeks, then experiment for yourself.

If you decide to eat beans, make sure they are "properly prepared" (soaked overnight, cooked well). And try eating them cold after they've been cooked. That way you'll get some "resistant starch" which may not interfere with ketosis and may help your gut health. Eat them hot they are pure starch that turns to sugar, but cooling them builds the resistant starch.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I'm another be who loves oatmeal (and some beans) but doesn't eat it. That's one of those foods I plan on for my treat meals a few times a year, because I enjoy it so much but it doesn't love me back. Bad idea on low carb, and might be dicey even in maintenance.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
I (used to) love oatmeal... Especially steel cut... But for me it's enough to trigger a binge... Who knew a person could overeat oatmeal. Sad but true. Feeling good trumps anything that I might "miss" in the carb world.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote